DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal issue; you all need to read!

So, I got my Mavic weeks ago.... flew it with no issues... the other day landing on a pathway it slid to the left and clipped a curb... the Mavic dropped the last about 10" inches somewhat hard.

At first glance the prop didn't even have a scuff really, and it took right back off.

But immediately, I noticed Jello-ing in the video... BAD!

So I freaked and started an RMA.

Then my girlfriend and I were looking at it and realized the gimbal base had slid over the corner of the Mavic? I pushed a little and "pop" it popped right back into place! All good? Again, flew it and still the video is jello-ing?

No damage, zero, and I have this issue....

I even tried to change props... nada.

Then looking at it again with my GF, she points out that the gimbal is sitting against this metal tab... and the back of the gimbal is firmly against the Mavic and the front if springy.

So I pulled the base of the gimbal back out like I found it, and realized the gimbal was supposed to be on top of this limiting tab... slid it back on top of the tab, slid the corner of the gimbal back under and viola, it's perfect!

Lesson - the "auto landing" kind of sucks. A little wind and it can move. Be way clear of anything two feet around just in case.

Also, the gimbal is different... and can slide below the tab that is designed to limit this exact behavior.

I hope this helps someone else. I keep seeing all these "jello" complaints, and I'm 99% sure it's usually caused by the gimbal having direct contact with the bird, or a major vibration in the blades etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I have the same issue

Reactions: snipe
In regards to the dome cover. It is optional. DJI advises the use of it when flying in an environment where debris can get into the camera workings. They do also state that it is advised to maintain forward flight at a moderate speed to increase heat dissipation through the vented underbody (the reason it is finned like an old air-cooled engine). Yes there is a fan (and it is quite loud). Yes it will run hotter especially if in a constant hover.

Reactions: dewster
DJI's official stance on the gimbal cover. See section 3. 10 Common Mistakes Mavic Pro Pilots Make

From the DJI Site:

Let’s go over some Mavic terminology. A DJI Mavic has 2 pieces of plastic protecting its gimbal. One is called the Gimbal Cover. This is the astronaut helmet bubble that protects your gimbal and camera lens from being damaged. The other is the Gimbal Clamp, which locks the gimbal in place and keeps it from moving around during transport.

Leaving the Gimbal Cover on during flight isn’t necessarily a mistake, depending on what you want to do. Leaving the cover on during flight will make sure your Mavic’s gimbal camera is protected from the elements, such as dust or water. It will give you an extra level of protection if you’re concerned about something hitting it. So if you just plan on exploring your area or zooming around (safely) in Sport mode, you can leave it on. It won’t affect gimbal or flight performance.

But, if you want the best image quality, possible, it’s a good idea to remove the cover. For example, leaving the Gimbal Cover on makes it more likely that you’ll get lens flare, and your shots may not look clean if the cover is dirty.

So there’s a trade-off: leave the cover on for extra protection, or take it off for the best image quality possible.

Reactions: Piggy
So, I got my Mavic weeks ago.... flew it with no issues... the other day landing on a pathway it slid to the left and clipped a curb... the Mavic dropped the last about 10" inches somewhat hard.

At first glance the prop didn't even have a scuff really, and it took right back off.

But immediately, I noticed Jello-ing in the video... BAD!

So I freaked and started an RMA.

Then my girlfriend and I were looking at it and realized the gimbal base had slid over the corner of the Mavic? I pushed a little and "pop" it popped right back into place! All good? Again, flew it and still the video is jello-ing?

No damage, zero, and I have this issue....

I even tried to change props... nada.

Then looking at it again with my GF, she points out that the gimbal is sitting against this metal tab... and the back of the gimbal is firmly against the Mavic and the front if springy.

So I pulled the base of the gimbal back out like I found it, and realized the gimbal was supposed to be on top of this limiting tab... slid it back on top of the tab, slid the corner of the gimbal back under and viola, it's perfect!

Lesson - the "auto landing" kind of sucks. A little wind and it can move. Be way clear of anything two feet around just in case.

Also, the gimbal is different... and can slide below the tab that is designed to limit this exact behavior.

I hope this helps someone else. I keep seeing all these "jello" complaints, and I'm 99% sure it's usually caused by the gimbal having direct contact with the bird, or a major vibration in the blades etc.

You nailed it. Big thanks for such a simple solution to a highly irritating problem.

Reactions: Vroom66
The dome wouldn't have helped. The gimbal clamp might have helped, but you'd get a gimbal error and it would start heating up.
Wow... please no-one take any notice of this obsurd post.

See... it's easy for it to go past the things that are supposed to limit it
2e828a01eae95adeb66c45f6231156b3.jpg
97a4c83d34027786423a75c364ee6298.jpg

This is the tab it can work itself around. In this photo it's supposed to be below it.... but after the top tab went over it easily slips to the other side of it
de1ce7916151b2293d33df89650c750c.jpg

Hi
See the last picture.
Is this the way it supposed to look ?

Just had this exact thing happen to me. I didn't have any kind of particular hard landing, but was flying in higher winds. All of a sudden got a gimbal shaking warning and the picture was really crooked. Could tell the camera was trying to correct itself, but couldn't. When I landed I just barely caught on inspection that the front corner of the gimbal had slipped over that tab. Easily pushed it back into place. Didn't even think to check the back or even know of that other little bracket on the backside. I just checked and it's under it like it's supposed to be. Thanks for posting this. Good info to those that might not catch it or know what "right" is supposed to look like.

what a life saver,

After getting taken out by a wedge tailed eagle, and crashing into a tree.

I have the 3D printer making me a few new parts, and now the gimbal is good again too.

I had an jello effect issue as well. Mine was due to a failing SD card. I tried a different one and it's fine now. Defiantly worth a try if you have a spare.

See... it's easy for it to go past the things that are supposed to limit it
2e828a01eae95adeb66c45f6231156b3.jpg
97a4c83d34027786423a75c364ee6298.jpg

This is the tab it can work itself around. In this photo it's supposed to be below it.... but after the top tab went over it easily slips to the other side of it
de1ce7916151b2293d33df89650c750c.jpg

With this photo illustration i did it with ease. Tnks alot

Reactions: BigAl07
With this photo illustration i did it with ease. Tnks alot

Ditto!!

Post #7saved my tail feathers this evening! Suffice to say I misjudged my distance between drone & porch column and had a mishap. Everything was fine except the "Gimbal Vibration Abnormal" error message. Sure enough the "frame has slipped out from under the rear clip".

Easy as pie to resolve thanks to this post and pictures :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest