DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal issue; you all need to read!

Apparently drone valley has done testing and has proven there is significant heating issues internally flying with cover on as apposed to flying with it off. That alone would keep me from flying with it on especially if it's hot outside.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: kmaluo
Apparently drone valley has done testing and has proven there is significant heating issues internally flying with cover on as apposed to flying with it off. That alone would keep me from flying with it on especially if it's hot outside.

I doubt drone valley has any science based data.

It's like a car manufacture telling you to only drive with the windows rolled up.

They clearly advertise is flying with it.

You seen the torn down mavic? Shows the intake for the internal cooling is behind the gimbal and with the cover on blocks most airflow into it, not wise IMO to fly with the cover on

Reactions: grizzard
You seen the torn down mavic? Shows the intake for the internal cooling is behind the gimbal and with the cover on blocks most airflow into it, not wise IMO to fly with the cover on

Well I disagree. There's a large slit cut into the dome.... and DJI shows JT flying with the Dome on. The manual doesn't say to remove it before flight either.

Take it off, leave it on. Whatever floats your boat

Well I disagree. There's a large slit cut into the dome.... and DJI shows JT flying with the Dome on. The manual doesn't say to remove it before flight either.

Take it off, leave it on. Whatever floats your boat

So, do you disagree with this test then?
Mavic Pro Running Hot? Here's Why
Or because DJI do not explicitly state in their book of words to not fly with it on them it's OK?
Over 100degrees on the heat sink means the IC's are considerably hotter.

So, do you disagree with this test then?
Mavic Pro Running Hot? Here's Why
Or because DJI do not explicitly state in their book of words to not fly with it on them it's OK?
Over 100degrees on the heat sink means the IC's are considerably hotter.

I disagree with his test. He should have let the Drone cool back to the air temp before doing the dome on test. Of course it's going to continue to get hot... he landed out the dome on and took off again!

There's a large slit cut into the dome to allow the fan to pull air through. He doesn't even mention that.

Also, the point of the bottom heat sink is to have air going across it in flight. So hover is the worst case scenario. I think the bottom of the drone is will get hot regardless of the dome.

The hole in the dome will allow more air in than the little fan can pull anyways.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
Here is a YT video showing the jello on my Mavic.

I have confirmed the gimbal is mounted correctly.

It is strange that the jello is not consistent. Sometimes the video is perfect and then boom!

The video below was two minutes into the flight. The first two minutes were perfect.

This is the third flight of the Mavic. I have had jello since the very first flight.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=VCPwtT4-KDw

Reactions: JB Bunyi
I fly around 10times and after i get message gimbal obstruction and i tried it calibrate sometimes it do. But usually it don't start calibrating. I try IMU and compass then was successful but cant take off. after restart same problem. I tried give down 2 bumper to make space and it calibrate first time(funny). I see a lot of post around bumpers problems that cause hitting plate around gimbal. i make video
first video and second out door flying
between this i calibrate it around 3 times like here
i think there is just problem with start gimbal. if it slow maybe it work or push more to front?

any crash and gimbal move smoothly you can see in video and sometimes it shows remove clamps but they aren't there. i can take pic but with fast shutter.

DJI have released an official tutorial specifically showing how to check your gimbal is correctly mounted. If you have Jello effect, check this out.

Anyone else notice that the video shows the Mavic flying with the clear dome on it?

Is there official DJI documentation stating that the dome should be off during flight?

Seems odd that they would ship the black dome cover (which protects the clear cover) if they never intend the clear cover to be used during flight.

Sure -- mine has one slit on the side too. That's certainly not "vented slits" as you're asking above.

Was this placed there as a vent? Is it large enough to vent the camera? I don't know.
I don't know either. My guess is the slit is there for moisture ventilation for when not in use and when in use. The plastic cover is certainly not air tight. If it were than DJI would advise that you allow the Mavic to cool done for 30 mins before placing the cover on for storage in a bag where there is next to no ventilation.

Yup.... I'm not buying the "it's a bad thing to fly with the plastic cover in place".

I fly around 10times and after i get message gimbal obstruction and i tried it calibrate sometimes it do. But usually it don't start calibrating. I try IMU and compass then was successful but cant take off. after restart same problem. I tried give down 2 bumper to make space and it calibrate first time(funny). I see a lot of post around bumpers problems that cause hitting plate around gimbal. i make video
first video and second out door flying
between this i calibrate it around 3 times like here
i think there is just problem with start gimbal. if it slow maybe it work or push more to front?

any crash and gimbal move smoothly you can see in video and sometimes it shows remove clamps but they aren't there. i can take pic but with fast shutter.

You should post close up, photos of your gimbal. It looks to me like one of the gimbal mounts maybe broken?

Anyone else notice that the video shows the Mavic flying with the clear dome on it?

Is there official DJI documentation stating that the dome should be off during flight?

Seems odd that they would ship the black dome cover (which protects the clear cover) if they never intend the clear cover to be used during flight.

This Drone Valley guy has everyone thinking it's not recommended to fly with the gimbal cover on. It's simply not true. There isn't one shred of evidence that's based in truth or science to support this claim.

It's one guy, that's trying to be a Mavic master, making clicks on his videos. He has to make a video about something.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6

It's really cool that I made a claim of my gimbal coming out of its limiting tabs, and DJI made a video to make sure no one else has this issue

Reactions: mikeroycollins
I'm pretty sure rubber cover over dome is only anti scratch device for storage only. I'm also inclined to believe the early release of mavic cut short extensive testing including dome issue and first couple hundred/thousand mavics shipped DJI is letting the public finish testing and letting us figure certain issues out. Also if the slit was designed for airflow, I'd tend to believe there would have been two one on each side and they would have been forward facing. It's strictly to hold rubber anti-scratch piece on. Just my opinions

I'm pretty sure rubber cover over dome is only anti scratch device for storage only. I'm also inclined to believe the early release of mavic cut short extensive testing including dome issue and first couple hundred/thousand mavics shipped DJI is letting the public finish testing and letting us figure certain issues out. Also if the slit was designed for airflow, I'd tend to believe there would have been two one on each side and they would have been forward facing. It's strictly to hold rubber anti-scratch piece on. Just my opinions

If they wanted airflow then they could very well have wanted just one slit. That way the air enters through the slit and then goes through the fan to cool the components.

If they had two slits then the air could go in one slit and out the other and not as much air would get routed through the fan.

If they wanted airflow then they could very well have wanted just one slit. That way the air enters through the slit and then goes through the fan to cool the components.

If they had two slits then the air could go in one slit and out the other and not as much air would get routed through the fan.

True, and the fact that there is a fan there, and an opening for the air to enter us like "duh", for me. But I understand everyone's speculating.

Let's say your right, by the time your components "fail", you be on the Mavic 6 Pro, stud edition anyway!

Look at the P4, theres almost no fan ventilation... just little vents on the arms

DJI would not design the Mavic with a large vent and put a fan behind it if they didn't need the airflow. The ratio of the cross sectional area of the slit compared to the vent is almost zero. It is impossible for the slit to get any significant airflow. On page 6 of the manual it says.
Preparing Aircraft
Remove the gimbal cover and gimbal clamp from the camera.
•The gimbal cover is used to protect the gimbal. Remove it when necessary.
• Using the Gimbal Clamp and Gimbal Cover to protect the gimbal when the Mavic Pro is not in use. But it's an individual choice. I wouldn't power up with the cover on.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest