DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal issue; you all need to read!

If it was a return to home failure could you upload logs to Dji and get it replaced as a fault on there half ?
Bad misfortune there bummer

another user on youtube who already got their drone back from service is reporting a repair fee of $96 total for a complete gimble cable and bracket replacement.

he sent his in for repair at DJI in CA.

source

another user on youtube who already got their drone back from service is reporting a repair fee of $96 total for a complete gimble cable and bracket replacement.

he sent his in for repair at DJI in CA.

source
I'm seeing $74 total, $65 diagnostic and $9.00 in shipping because DJI repair in CA had a crashed mavic they were parting out. Not bad for such a gut wrenching screw up on a new toy.

I'm seeing $74 total, $65 diagnostic and $9.00 in shipping because DJI repair in CA had a crashed mavic they were parting out. Not bad for such a gut wrenching screw up on a new toy.

DJI in CA would not be using parts from crashed mavic's.. that is the official North America Repair center. they will have official replacement parts. additionally, if you have dji care, shipping is covered both ways. i'm suprised they even serviced that particular drone because the user took the drone apart, and attempted to repair on his own. he even posted videos of it.

I've had no crashes. I've done imu, gimbal, and compass calibration, my gimbal is in the right place, and I still have terrible jello.
It is around 30°f here but its the Northeast in the winter and I shouldn't have to wait till April to fly my new drone.

Mine started doing this on it's third flight. Never been crashed or even had a hard landing.

It is however very cold here in Detroit. I tested it today and it was giving me jello right off the bat. Then I tried the gimbal bubble and within a few seconds it went away.

I really want to get to the bottom of this, as my time to exchange it at best buy is running out.

View attachment 790 View attachment 791 Yesterday I read this thread and was then able to tell someone on the Facebook Mavic Pro group how to fix their gimbal problem. They had reached the point of thinking it will need to be returned for repair costing over 400 euro.
So thanks! This is very helpful stuff.
I would like to include a couple sketches I did to help anyone who's still confused.

The orange coloured parts are the clips that hold the Gimbal in place. There are 3. Two at the front and one behind the gimbal. All of these clips must be above/over the gimbal parts.

I hope this is helpful, it'll be nice if DJI release some nice diagrams to explain this issue more clearly.

These drawings were super helpful, couldn't tell what I was supposed to be looking at in the photos. Thanks.

Reactions: triafgg
I've had no crashes. I've done imu, gimbal, and compass calibration, my gimbal is in the right place, and I still have terrible jello.
It is around 30°f here but its the Northeast in the winter and I shouldn't have to wait till April to fly my new drone.
Hi there, I just got my drone and my first flight was in Dover (White cliffs). Had exactly the same jello effect, but when I came back home and flew the drone inside the building the effect was gone. I think the vibration might be caused by severe wind or by the radio waves causing video distortion, as a matter of fact I was right in fornt of the HM Coastguard with their radar or whatever that thing is (I lost connection at some point, whilst my drone was within 500m from me). I'll try to fly it again today in London, and will see how it goes.

Just a update.. My drone was delivered to DJI on Wendesday, and by Thursday i had a estimate... I'm the guy who had the mavic with a overloaded gimbal motor error.. the ribbon cable got pulled out on my drone during very very minor RTH crash..

Well the estimate is in, and it's extremely vauge, does not list any parts, and the Non-DJI Refresh Invoice amount is $334.

For a freaking gimbal ribbon cable. i'm extremely dissapointed that i will have to use one of my DJI Care Refresh claims over a silly ribbon cable that only DJI makes, and plus, they won't sell you the part if you wanted to get it repaired by someone else.

Additionally, there is no way to talk to the actual tech that is working on your drone.. I called into DJI after recieving my estimate, wondering why my estimate was so expensive. I was told by DJI Tech support, that i could not directly talk with the DJI LA Repair shop, and that She (the cs agent), did not even have access to their phone number. She went on to tell me that any communication has to be done through email on DJI's side, which takes 24-48 hours per message sent to get a response. Keep in mind they are also not open on the weekends.. so i estimate it will take 3-5 days to get a response to my satisfaction.

DJI needs to do a better job on these estimates and communicating with the customer.
and have a open line of communication to the repair shop.. .Phone highly preferred.

Here is the estimate they sent me ($324) (notice they list the drone as $999 value instead of $799. Gimbal damage is listed as $65 a hour, and the gimbal for the Phantom 4 is only $185 for a full gimbal replacement.. you cant tell me the mavic's gimbal costs more.. My only recourse is send 1 message per day to the technician, through a DJI rep, and wait 24-48 for a response... this is unnacceptable.. we need to be able to communicate with the repair division. Also they say i was flying the drone backwards.. i was not... if they looked at the logs, they will notice it was in smart RTH, and no controller inputs were given. The drone was in full autonomous mode. i will share the log if you guys want.

wz9j6Bv.png

Here is the only damage to the drone

OvUgkmU.jpg

Slideshow of the Mavic after crash to prove it was in good shape.

http://gph.is/2hU0TYa?tc=1

Last edited:
I'll take some photos... if you look at the gimbal of the Mavic you'll see what I mean.

It sits on the four plastic shocks, but has a tab that limits its travel down.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hello, I'm marc, thanks to this forum and your thread i managed to find some answers...
Had a little flight issue 3 seconds after take off at 1.20 meters height, stopped functioning and simply crash straight to the ground. anyway, now the Gimbal back hook on my mavic pro is actually broken, and having the "Grimbal overload error" message.
here's a picture. Would you have an idea as where i can find this back hook piece ?
Thanks
Nice day

Attachments

• broken back hook.jpg
    broken back hook.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 297
Hello, I'm marc, thanks to this forum and your thread i managed to find some answers...
Had a little flight issue 3 seconds after take off at 1.20 meters height, stopped functioning and simply crash straight to the ground. anyway, now the Gimbal back hook on my mavic pro is actually broken, and having the "Grimbal overload error" message.
here's a picture. Would you have an idea as where i can find this back hook piece ?
Thanks
Nice day

Only thing I can think of is to try to make a replacement out of aluminum and to glue it?

Only thing I can think of is to try to make a replacement out of aluminum and to glue it?

Is the gimbal back hook suppose to sit just over the horizontal anti virabtion part? Or is it suppose to directly touch it and presss it down? Mine broke off as well, i tried to glue a plastic bit on it but still getting jello effect...

Reactions: FlyboyAde
There are several threads about the jello effect. It occurs intermittently on my Mavic at well above freezing temperatures.

Here's a sample photo. It's cropped to show the issue more clearly. Otherwise the photo is not doctored.

Some pictures are great, others are like this. It's visible on the phone's screen when it's happening, and the actual picture on the chip is like this, too.

Attachments

• DJI_0153Detail.jpg
    DJI_0153Detail.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 206
Hey guys, I got the error "Gimbal Shake Error" during my 2nd flight. First flight was ok, was worry what had happened since I never land on ground (After reading so many story of rough landing, I use hand catch landing).

This is the jello video when "Gimbal Shake Error" message appeared.

After I use my hand manually adjust the gimbal, the error went off and I just shot again few hours ago. It seems ok for now.

Hopefully the gimbal error not coming back again :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots