DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Going back for repair Need Input

Well good news is my Mavic is finally on it's way back, hopefully it works as advertised because frankly if I have to send it back again I'm done. DJI is extremely cryptic on the repair process, nowhere on their site do they ever tell you what the repair was nor do they ever communicate it via e-mail on their own accord. I had to e-mail them multiple times asking what the issue was with them only answering with the following below after I got extremely curt w/ them about their lack of communication. Also their website showed it as shipping in 1-2 days for well over a week. I am extremely disappointed in DJI from a CS/management perspective. Their cryptic response which I had to pull teeth to get.

"As per checking, they have found issues w/ the gimbal of the drone. Upon testing the gimbal is overloading and due to that incident, our team considered this case of your as a warranty case since that is with regards to the quality of the drone."

No **** it was a gimbal issue that's what I sent it in for, I sent them an 8 minute video of multiple boot ups, gimbal recalibration, etc. These guys are absolute garbage when it comes to communication or service. Too bad nobody else makes a comparable product.

I hope it all works out for you. I finally had a chance the last few days to get mine out and test it out. Everything is working perfectly. I didn't know what I was going to get back. The mavic was only a few weeks old when I sent it in. I received my original Mavic back! WIth everything I sent in. The only thing wrong was they forgot to replace my blades! Came back with only 2 broken blades. I contacted them and they already have a new set on the way to me now. Thanks DJI.

This is hands down the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Finally got a drone back and I say a because it's not mine. They tell me that my drone was repaired and send me a freakin refurb. My drone which I ordered on 4 April and was manufactured on 7 March of 2017 was just replaced by a fuc%$^% refurb which was manufactured 7 Dec 2016. This is absolutely unacceptable and ****** business. Who the eff thinks it's cool to send someone a 6 month old refurb as an exchange for a brand new product that was only flown about 5 times? That would be like buying a new Toyota driving off the lot getting 50 miles down the road it breaks and then the dealer gives you a rental that has been ridden hard by someone else. They couldn't even bother to ship it in a half decent box, the mavic box lid is all torn to **** and loose and flopping and it wasn't even secured in the outer shipping box w/ half the amount of paper/padding required which means it probably did a ton of bouncing around on it's way to me.

I was gonna order goggles from them and get my Dad a Spark as a retirement gift but *** them, done with DJI never buying any of their **** again. I e-mailed them a long hate mail telling them this was unacceptable and I expect a new drone but honestly don't expect them to actually honor it. Clearly they are a company with **** ethics. Just figured you all should know what happened, I'm absolutely livid right now.

Frankly I'm so put off at this point I don't even want it anymore. Does anyone know an easy way to sell these 2nd hand for not too much loss? I'm done I want my money back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Former Member
This is hands down the worst ******* customer service I have ever experienced. Finally got a drone back and I say a because it's not mine. They tell me that my drone was repaired and send me a freakin refurb. My drone which I ordered on 4 April and was manufactured on 7 March of 2017 was just replaced by a ******* refurb which was manufactured 7 Dec 2016. This is absolutely unacceptable and ****** business. Who the **** thinks it's cool to send someone a 6 month old refurb as an exchange for a brand new product that was only flown about 5 times? That would be like buying a new Toyota driving off the lot getting 50 miles down the road it breaks and then the dealer gives you a ******* rental that has been ridden hard by someone else. They couldn't even bother to ship it in a half decent box, the mavic box lid is all torn to **** and loose and flopping and it wasn't even secured in the outer shipping box w/ half the amount of paper/padding required which means it probably did a **** ton of bouncing around on it's way to me.

I was gonna order goggles from them and get my Dad a Spark as a retirement gift but **** them, done with DJI never buying any of their **** again. I e-mailed them a long hate mail telling them this was unacceptable and I expect a new drone but honestly don't expect them to actually honor it. Clearly they are a **** company with **** ethics. Just figured you all should know what happened, I'm absolutely livid right now.

Frankly I'm so put off at this point I don't even want it anymore. Does anyone know an easy way to sell these 2nd hand for not too much loss? I'm done I want my money back.

Sorry to say it's a common experience with DJI. Long repair wait times, refurbed drones instead of new ones.

I understand you want to sell it, but be patient and you will get more money for it. You can be honest and advertise it as never flown or registered. You can put it up here, Craigslist, or eBay. Here or Craigs is going to net you the most money. eBay takes a good chunk but you might get more for it.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Sorry to say it's a common experience with DJI. Long repair wait times, refurbed drones instead of new ones.

I understand you want to sell it, but be patient and you will get more money for it. You can be honest and advertise it as never flown or registered. You can put it up here, Craigslist, or eBay. Here or Craigs is going to net you the most money. eBay takes a good chunk but you might get more for it.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Yeah that's the thing I was so happy to have a drone back I paired it w/ my controller and did firmware update which means I registered it through DJI Go4 and only through that process did I realize that my FAA ID was not on the body so I checked serial numbers at that point. I didn't think to do so beforehand because they clearly stated that it was repaired not replaced.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Yeah that's the thing I was so happy to have a drone back I paired it w/ my controller and did firmware update which means I registered it through DJI Go4 and only through that process did I realize that my FAA ID was not on the body so I checked serial numbers at that point. I didn't think to do so beforehand because they clearly stated that it was repaired not replaced.

You can still sell it as never flown. And you can look at the flight logs to prove it.

What is DJI policy on refurb replacements? It's after 30 days right? I ask because I received and activated my purchased drone on 10 April of this year, Started a repair inquiry discussion dialog with their representative on 16 Apr, received a case number on 30 April, and showed as received for repair on their end on 10 May. If I am correct they legally are required to give me a new drone right?

I remember something about a 30 day window but can't find the documentation. Also does anyone have a link to US consumer/buyer protection stuff. This is ********, I've been sitting here steaming over this all night now and the more I realize how they tried to snow me the more furious I get, I refuse to roll over on this, they want to do business dirty I'll lawyer the *** up, better business bureau, put it over every bit of social media and public communication I can. This is wrong to give me a 6 month old piece of **** after I paid for a new one. If you have anything that can help me fight this please help.

Reactions: matth1000
Update.

I called DJI about 30 minutes ago once I got home from work, called them out on sending me a 6 month old refurb for a drone that was less than 2 weeks old. They started backpedaling real quick, not that I gave the guy much room to talk. Anyway long story short I now have to send this refurb back and they are supposedly going to expedite sending my drone back to me. We will see, I have pictures of both serial numbers. Not holding my breath. If I do get it back honestly will probably still sell it, real put off with their shady business practices and dishonesty. Will keep this thread updated.

Last edited:
So I sent the 6 month old drone back since they said they would send me my drone back, got an e-mail on the 8th that the drone I sent them was received, on the 9th I receive an e-mail that the repair process was completed and they were sending me the drone back.

Last edited:
Once I receive the drone back next week I will be placing it up on the classifieds for sale, I'm done with DJI, 2 months gone by and only a handful of days with it actually in my possession. I am wondering though should I power it up and ops check it on the ground or should I just list it and sell it? Also how do I go about transferring ownership to whoever buys it on DJI's website end of things? And finally it has DJI refresh so how do I go about transferring the DJI refresh to the new owner?

Well good news is my Mavic is finally on it's way back, hopefully it works as advertised because frankly if I have to send it back again I'm done. DJI is extremely cryptic on the repair process, nowhere on their site do they ever tell you what the repair was nor do they ever communicate it via e-mail on their own accord. I had to e-mail them multiple times asking what the issue was with them only answering with the following below after I got extremely curt w/ them about their lack of communication. Also their website showed it as shipping in 1-2 days for well over a week. I am extremely disappointed in DJI from a CS/management perspective. Their cryptic response which I had to pull teeth to get.

"As per checking, they have found issues w/ the gimbal of the drone. Upon testing the gimbal is overloading and due to that incident, our team considered this case of your as a warranty case since that is with regards to the quality of the drone."

No **** it was a gimbal issue that's what I sent it in for, I sent them an 8 minute video of multiple boot ups, gimbal recalibration, etc. These guys are absolute garbage when it comes to communication or service. Too bad nobody else makes a comparable product.

If someone else made comparable products I would jump ship instantly, simply due to the garbage customer service dji has. The worst I've ever seen

Reactions: madman4049
If someone else made comparable products I would jump ship instantly, simply due to the garbage customer service dji has. The worst I've ever seen
Agreed, I have never in my life been treated like such garbage by a company. What makes it worse is they try to lie and skirt around what's actually going on. Just 2 days ago after numerous e-mails asking for an update and them skirting around the issue saying ohh "I will have to consult my team" and so on. I told them point blank look moron I work on multi-million dollar aircraft I'm not an idiot. These drones are serially tracked by them in a system which means that with a few mere button presses he can answer my question as to which serial number drone they are sending me. Whatever I'm done.

Still curious for anyone who can help. When I get the replacement in the mail I will be putting it up on classified, should I power it up and ops check it without actually flying it first or just sell it without running it up first? Secondly once it sells how do I transfer ownership of it and the DJI refresh to the new owner?

Reactions: NaiveFlight
I think you loose dji care refresh, but the loss will at least wash your hands of this aweful company.

Update to the update, had a long conversation with their customer service over the phone today. I got tired of the e-mail back and forth and slight of word garbage they've been doing. This is the 2nd time I called in these last 2 months but I figured eff it, it can't hurt. I listed serial numbers, timelines, e-mails, names,EVERYTHING. Told them point blank that I had possession of a working drone for 6 days and from that time they have spent the last two months jerking me around while I have no drone, especially since they decided to just send me the 6 month old drone back AGAIN instead of my drone like they promised. Anyway the short of it is I told them straight up I was invoking consumer rights, filing a better business bureau report, and will be consulting a lawyer. I also recorded part of the phone call.

The tech rep agreed to start a return/refund authorization, I say start because she, her name is Anne stated very clearly that "they" will start an investigation into this because of how badly this has gone. Anyway they will investigate this and make a determination if I "deserve" a refund/return. I clearly asked how they would like all batteries, charges, bits/bobs returned. The timeline for everything, verified with her over voice recording that they are firmly aware I am done and want my money back to which she acknowledged that we were on the same page and that she was in fact being recorded stating as such.

So basically at this point I'm waiting on the 6 month old refurb drone to get back here again so that I can turn right around and send it back to them for hopefully the last time. Kind of an odd request but if you're religious please pray this goes well, if not cross your fingers or whatever floats your boat, if you don't mind. I'm at my wits end after 2 months of this nonsense dealing with them and just ready to be done with it all. I am so disappointed with all of this, I had such big plans for aerial scenic stuff but I'm at the point I don't even want another manufacturers drone I'm just done. Maybe in a few years but never again will DJI get my money.

Below is the timeline of events from ordering on 4 April to present. I have deleted case numbers and serial numbers only for my protection because this is a public forum but everything else is left in my timeline. If anyone doubts it's as I say please feel free to message me and I will gladly share the now dozens of e-mails from the last 2 months. I'm fully aware this is a DJI Mavic forum and not going to pretend to tell anyone what to do with their money and don't intend to sway. I merely want to use this thread to inform others to be aware how truly pathetic DJI can be towards a customer or maybe see how things went for me if they find themselves in a similar situation. I mean what I say in that I have never in my life been treated so badly by a company I paid money to. If you ever conduct e-mail traffic with their tech prsnl I have had a great deal of back and forth with several of their staff but Nique is by far the most lying, beat around the bush, no straight answer individual I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, if you get him request a different person, but again just my opinion.

Obviously this situation is not finished yet and I am still very much at the whim of these people, timeline below as I promised above.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DJI Mavic Timeline
4 April - ordered drone
10 April - drone delivered to me
16 April - initiated repair process for gimbal malfunction, discussed over many days of e-mail traffic, uploaded 8 minute video to them to see exactly what gimbal was doing during multiple startups also recorded gimbal calibration, and software checks, fresh updates.
30 April - RMA authorized after several days of back and forth communication
9 May - Original Drone SN _______________ received for repair under case number CAS-_________-___________
10 May - notification that drone quals for repair under warranty
11 May - notification of repair inwk
12 May - notification of repair completion
16 May - notification that testing c/w will ship in 1-2 days
23 May - still no updates on status of repair, been saying repair was completed since 16 May
24 May - ask for actual repair details many times over e-mails over last few days w/ Nique they finally say that it was gimbal overload with no further details other than my drone was repaired and enroute back to me.
31 May - I receive drone, power on and realize it's not my drone they sent back like they said, check serial numbers online w/ sn checker site. I sent drone _______________, they sent me drone _________________ manufactured on 7 Dec 2016
1 Jun - I call DJI to confront them about this, they told me it was a mixup and assured me that they will send me MY drone _______________ back after I send them the 6 month old one w/ sn of _________________. They initiate RMA process to return the 6 month old refurb
1 Jun - receive RMA instruction e-mail from DJI CAS-_________-_________
3 Jun - I mail the refurb drone back to them and e-mail DJI informing them it's mailed and that I will be verifying sn's upon receipt of my actual drone.
8 jun - received and evaluated CAS-_______-_______
9 jun - repair completed, no repair was done because it was the replacement dji sent me that they were supposed to exchange
12 Jun - drone tested and will ship to me in 1-2 days
13 jun - same drone the six month old refurb __________________ was shipped back to me instead of the one they were supposed to send like they promised.
16 Jun - I call DJI spoke w/ female name Anne, discussed entire timeline, discussed that over the last 2 months I have had possession of a working drone for 6 days and that they have been going back and forth for 2 months now. I stated quite clearly that I am envoking consumer rights/lemon law, that I am intiating a better business bureau report and will be acquiring a lawyer if they do not return/refund. I am being requested to ship drone back to them upon receipt and they will compile a refund request. Refund request will have to go to their tech department for approval once they receive the drone back yet again.
I stated explicitly that I want a refund NOT an exchange. They are clearly aware and has been recorded on audio
I have asked that I receive everything I was just told in an e-mail before we terminate this call was stated by female Anne above that this is not an issue.
I asked how they would like me to return the controller, cables, etc to them. Was told by Anne that I need to secure everything safely in the package.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61