DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Heat Issues?

WestTexas

Reactions
Got my Mavic Flymore today almost 3 months after ordering in September... I'm trying to get it up and running, but so far haven't been able to do so. Question...Within a couple of minutes of turning the bird on, it gets so hot you can't hold your fingers to the bottom where the heat fins are. Is this normal? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to generate such heat.

My phone power was below 50% because I loaded the DJI Go 4 today and even when I killed the app it drained my battery. Perhaps this is why nothing popped up about Firmware updates. Tried to make it work with both my Galaxy S6 Active and a Samsung tablet. Must I use DJI Go 4? Or, will the original DJI Go work?

Getting frustrated,
Lance

Reactions: zigzagmtb
Could you hear the fan behind the gimbal running and did you have the gimbal cover on? If so, take it off as it block the majority of the air flow thru the bird.....especially when indoors and not flying.

hmmm....I would have thought if it was that hot the fan would have been running. Maybe you can't hear it??? However, it does have sensors so if it was overheating, you would have gotten a warning on the RC stating such...

Reactions: shuddee
I'll try it again. I can hear the fan on the controller kick on, but not the Mavic. It literally gets so hot that you can't hold your fingers on the cooling fins for more than a second. And that's before the motors start up...while it's sitting there and I'm going through the menus. DJI said it's not normal and will have to be returned.

Reactions: shuddee
I'm really surprised that it's normal to heat up immediately while it's still on the ground. Is there a reason this would be a good thing? It's not mechanical heat generation. This has to be extreme battery drain. The only thing running is the leds, gps, on-board computer function and camera function, etc. Within 5 minutes while playing with the menus the battery charge had dropped 5%. I'm not an electrical engineer, but would such a design have any real benefit?

Reactions: wiegandster
Same problem. No fan running in my Mavic unit and Aircraft Core Board Overheated message appears in the App DJI GO. I contacted with my seller

Getting frustrated too
Alex G

Attachments

• 97745a2e-7866-4299-b19d-3afca4a48ec3.jpg
    97745a2e-7866-4299-b19d-3afca4a48ec3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 98
I'm really surprised that it's normal to heat up immediately while it's still on the ground. Is there a reason this would be a good thing? It's not mechanical heat generation. This has to be extreme battery drain. The only thing running is the leds, gps, on-board computer function and camera function, etc. Within 5 minutes while playing with the menus the battery charge had dropped 5%. I'm not an electrical engineer, but would such a design have any real benefit?
you have to remember there are 24 processing cores inside the Mavic. So there is a lot more going on inside than you might think....5% in 5 minutes sounds about right for not spinning up the motors. But if the fan is not kicking on, you have an issue that will require you to send it in for repair or replacement. I would do it sooner than later because as soon as the weather gets better and more folks start flying their Mavic's, the more that are going to be damaged and sent in for repairs....

i have this prioblem i open the case chek the fan ,fan is working with power supply
the mavic dosent start the fan , any idea ?

i have this prioblem i open the case chek the fan ,fan is working with power supply
the mavic dosent start the fan , any idea ?
sounds like you may have a better temp sensor and need to send it in for warranty repair.

Unfortunately we don't have any official DJI distributer in my country I have to fix my self ,u mean the temp sensor doset feel the heat ,maby by changing sensor it works?
Is that possible that the link of sensor don't attach the heat sink or hotspot ?
D u know where the sensor is?
Thanks for reply

Has anyone done a tear down of the PCB, or have rough schematics? There could be multiple conditions for the fan to turn on (processor temps, temp sensor, time delays, etc...)

If you really have no option for repair, I would probably just hard wire the fan to whatever the supply voltage is (see if there is a marking for 5V or 3.3V or something on the fan). Then you will need to find a source for it on the board, there are probably marking on the board for those voltages, you just need to make sure the traces can handle the amperage. It is probably ok to run the fan full time since starts so quickly after booting up. The only issue might be that fans are electrically noisy so maybe they do some calibrations before the fan turns on?

Does anyone know if the fan kicks on immediately at power up after it has already been warmed up?

Unfortunately we don't have any official DJI distributer in my country I have to fix my self ,u mean the temp sensor doset feel the heat ,maby by changing sensor it works?
Is that possible that the link of sensor don't attach the heat sink or hotspot ?
D u know where the sensor is?
Thanks for reply
Sorry, I do not have that type of information but as others have stated, it could be controlled by a multitude of things and not just a temp sensor on a board.....

Has anyone done a tear down of the PCB, or have rough schematics? There could be multiple conditions for the fan to turn on (processor temps, temp sensor, time delays, etc...)

If you really have no option for repair, I would probably just hard wire the fan to whatever the supply voltage is (see if there is a marking for 5V or 3.3V or something on the fan). Then you will need to find a source for it on the board, there are probably marking on the board for those voltages, you just need to make sure the traces can handle the amperage. It is probably ok to run the fan full time since starts so quickly after booting up. The only issue might be that fans are electrically noisy so maybe they do some calibrations before the fan turns on?

Does anyone know if the fan kicks on immediately at power up after it has already been warmed up?
if we have tear down the pcb its realy easy to find out what happend for fan ,i want to make some smitriger or some pcb after link to fan to calibrate the noises , the pcb is same as gold right now

I guess the Mavic is meant to move. I get the same thing and then the fan will kick in. I wish we could run the simulator without powering up the Mavic.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I guess the Mavic is meant to move. I get the same thing and then the fan will kick in. I wish we could run the simulator without powering up the Mavic.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
you mean when drone flying after heating fan is started ?
we also cant use simulator coz heating of the drone

Same issue here, heating a lot while upgrading the firmware.
The bird powered off by itself after some minutes... not even letting time to upgrade correctly.
Does it mean we have to upgrade it outside?
This is definitively an issue :(

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Is your fan running? What's the ambient temp? You removed the gimbal cover, right?

Never heard of one shutting down unless the fan was defective or the gimbal cover was left on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato