DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic in Barbados

Lordbase

Reactions
So I'm heading over to Barbados with family in a few weeks.

My Mavic arrived a while ago and I was looking forward to taking it out there for some tropical footage, but then discovered that they have now made the importation of drones illegal in Barbados...

However, bearing in mind that folded up the Mavic doesn't really look like a drone and it's small enough to stash away in a suitcase, with remote control separate and batteries in hand luggage, I'm considering bringing it with me anyway.

Does anyone have experience of Barbados customs and whether it's possible to get it through?

If worst case is that they'll take it and hold on to it for the duration of the trip I could survive. I wouldn't want to risk them taking and keeping it though.

Any thoughts/experiences?

No responses yet? I saw on Reddit that somebody took theirs without knowing about the ban and had no problems. Personally wouldn't want to risk it though.

I'm going in a few months, after the one year ban is up, and anxiously waiting to see what they decide to do next.

So we headed off to Barbados a few weeks ago and after much deliberation I decided to risk it.

I took out the battery, took off the props and packed it in an old camcorder case in my suitcase. Controller and batteries in hand luggage along with my Gopro and the main camera.

Arrived in Bridgetown, got through customs fine, no indication of officials checking checked or hand luggage.

Got some lovely footage of the island, although a word of warning, it was very windy and one of my first flights I watched the mavic drifting out to sea unable to overpower the wind... Panic set in a few hundred metres out to sea, but fortunately sports mode brought it back on shore.

Obviously I'm not recommending that people take the risk and your experience may be very different to mine, but I feel that the mavic is discreet enough to smuggle in if you can afford to lose it!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird