DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Incidents

E92Vancouver

Reactions
Already there are several reported incidents with the Mavic Pro.

The first one was that Casey Neistat lost his Mavic:

The second incident was that iJustine all of a sudden is traveling withe her Phantom 4. No mention at all with what happened to her Mavic:

The third incident involved this pilot having no control over his Mavic:

I will keep you posted here as I hear more.

Already there are several reported incidents with the Mavic Pro.

The first one was that Casey Neistat lost his Mavic:

The second incident was that iJustine all of a sudden is traveling withe her Phantom 4. No mention at all with what happened to her Mavic:

The third incident involved this pilot having no control over his Mavic:

I will keep you posted here as I hear more.
  • Casey flew his behind something and lost signal, operator error = not Mavic problem
  • iJustine flew the P4 due to high winds = not Mavic problem
  • The last guy there are to many variables to know what happened = Possible Mavic problem

@LuvMyTJ is right on with his description of these 3 incidents which have been publicized. The third one is the only one that needs further analysis and I know DJI is already working with the gentleman's flight logs.

Casey flew his behind something and lost signal, operator error = not Mavic problem
iJustine flew the P4 due to high winds = not Mavic problem
The last guy there are to many variables to know what happened = Possible Mavic problem

iJustine flew the P4 due to high winds????? But everyone says the Mavic handles high winds better than the P4. So how does this make sense?

And if you look at iJustine's P4 video, the winds were calm.

Last edited:
I guess I phrased it wrong. There will inevitably be Mavic Incidents that are not deemed operator error in the future and it would be nice to corral those issues into one readily accessible thread or location.

It would be efficient to have the pilot report the issue and then go through the normal steps of determining the exact details of the incident (i.e. updated firmware, Compass Calibration, Full Battery charge before flight, battery temperature, IMU Calibration, Flight Log upload , etc)

Determination of cause - (ie. Pilot error, hardware malfunction , software malfunction, etc)

Then reporting of the steps being taken towards resolution (i.e. self repaired, DJI repaired, etc)

Might be good to try and get ahead of the reporting of incidents.

Sub Forum?

i think she says she floated it due to high wind conditions. I read this as she stuffed it due to pilot error.

i think she says she floated it due to high wind conditions. I read this as she stuffed it due to pilot error.

Ask yourself this question - If you were iJustine or anyone for that matter and you crashed your Mavic due to pilot error or harware / software issue would you not go and search for it and retrieve it and then take the mangled parts and send it off to be repaired ?

Or do you crash your 1000 dollar Mavic and the walk away and say - "Well at least I have this cool looking controller so I'm good"

Casey kinda started down that path , but gave up and I am surprised that with all of his 5 million minions (ehem, I mean followers) that there were'nt guys with scuba tanks trolling the bay where his purportedly went down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic_Man504
This crash happened at 5:42. Shouldn't the obstacle avoidance sensors have picked up the tree?

Obstacle Avoidance may have been turned off. Or the tree was so sparce without a sizeable trunk to register on the front obstacle avoidance sensors. Or the small plastic coverings that need to be removed and come on the Mavic from the factory were not noticed and removed prior to flight.

Front right rotor wash contacted branch blown by wind that pulled the branch into the rotational path of the rotor.

Ask yourself this question - If you were iJustine or anyone for that matter and you crashed your Mavic due to pilot error or harware / software issue would you not go and search for it and retrieve it and then take the mangled parts and send it off to be repaired ?

Or do you crash your 1000 dollar Mavic and the walk away and say - "Well at least I have this cool looking controller so I'm good"

Caesy kinda started down that path , but gave up and I am surprised that with all of his 5 million minions (ehem, I mean followers) that there were'nt guys with scuba tanks trolling the bay where his purportedly went down.

You mean like this?

This crash happened at 5:42. Shouldn't the obstacle avoidance sensors have picked up the tree?

NO... not in my opinion, even if functioning 100% correctly it will never see a small branch with a few leaves, same as you better not depend on it to detect power or telephone lines...

Casey is an interesting character, but a total idiot and not good for our hobby/business.... if you are following him, please unfollow... I refuse to watch any more of his videos (I only watched one to see he was an idiot).

Casey kinda started down that path , but gave up and I am surprised that with all of his 5 million minions (ehem, I mean followers) that there were'nt guys with scuba tanks trolling the bay where his purportedly went down.
no sure what point your trying to make.
if i crashed a drone due to pilot error i probably wouldnt be keen on telling the world about it nor documenting the follow up.
im sure she didnt pay $1000 for it
but hey,,, maybe its a huge conspiracy

no sure what point your trying to make.
if i crashed a drone due to pilot error i probably wouldnt be keen on telling the world about it nor documenting the follow up.
im sure she didnt pay $1000 for it
but hey,,, maybe its a huge conspiracy

That would be my strategy too. Was very surprised Casey Neistat talked about losing his drone.

If I crashed due to pilot error and wanted to learn more about how I could improve my flight skills and become a much better pilot then why on earth not ask for help from people much more experienced and knowledgeable than I? Is'nt that part of what this forum and the drone community is about or should be about?

Too often people hide behind this facade of being all knowing or having a width and breadth of abilities that they just clearly do not possess.

Sure there are going to be judgmental people that may choose to take the opportunity to point out ones shortcomings , but thats with just about anything and everything we do in life. I feel it is important to keep this simple perspective - This is the Internet and we are participating on a screen that has words.

If someone posts that I was stupid or an idiot for something that I screwed up trust me I will more often than not agree with them and still sleep very well. :)

Casey just "owns" it when he does something stupid and moves on.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
Not bad. Only a handful of incidents considering DJI has 'sold' over a million units =)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo