DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Issues, Recalibration and Updates

ksull72487

Reactions
This mainly goes for those with excessive gimbal tilt. I have designed tinkered with app development in the past for devices. Anytime a firmware update is released or an app update is introduced the developer may intentionally change a setting or inadvertently change a setting as the app is being tested and worked on before it's release. The issue with changes via an app update is the fact your Mavic may have not accepted its settings or adjustments etc. Usually you'll probably notice an app update and firmware update become available at the same time. Example: When I received my Mavic its Gimbal settings were set. After an update I reset it and the defaults changed. The Mavic would not know those new default settings with out the update and reset.

I would only do this if you experience an issue.

If you experience an issue. Make sure you have a level surface verified with a bubble. Preferably a table and that your Mavic is completely cool. Recalibrate the IMU, Gimbal and Compass.

If everything is up to par leave well enough alone.

I do not recommend calibrating it's obstacle avoidance system via DJI Assistant. It's preset and I would only recalibrate as a last resort. It's uses a computer monitor for orientation and monitors come in many shapes sizes and designs. Mileage could vary.

Don't avoid the update. That is not a solution. Normally you won't have an issue. Updates will solve more problems in the end than they produce.

Always take your time after applying an update, consider rebooting the phone and Mavic. Allow the Mavic to acquire GPS and it's home point before take off. More importantly as with any new change do a test flight before taking off and going beyond.

Finally I'd like to say. Believe it or not your phone could be an issue. Hands down the iPhone 6 or better is the way to go. Not just for DJI but for everything. A major article was published on how the iPhone beats the Google Pixel. Apple devices are more uniform they don't get slow or use more ram over time like android. The last 4 years or more on updates vs 2 years. I have tested the Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6S Plus. Hands down it didn't take more than 5 minutes to know the iPhone is the way to go. The Nexus 6P although worked to my liking through errors and force closes. The iPhone ran everything with out so much as a hiccup. Completely different experience. Consider the iPhone. I bought my Nexus 6P switching from an iPhone 6 Plus months ago. The Nexus failed in certain areas and is being submitted for a warranty claim. The iPhones have never failed me. So this is killing two birds with one stone. The iPhone is a better value and also a better choice for the Mavic. There is a reason your controller came with the lightning cord already connected. I find that strange when the majority of the market uses Android but it's not so strange when you take into consideration the iOS came first with DJI. The iPhone costs the most but more than pays for itself in my experience. Android will never catch Apple with iOS and its development. Things will in general always perform smoother unless Android makes a major change which may cost them marketshare. Everyone should understand.

For the best experience use an iPhone 6 or better.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
I've been on Android for a couple years (since the P3 came out) with DJI products and never had an issue. Currently I have the Galaxy S7 phone and Tab S2 tablet both of which have performed perfectly so far. I know there are a lot of variables with Android and I'd definitely agree Apple products are more uniform, I'm just sayin my setup works perfectly... Oh, I have a Nvidia K1 Shield too.... but have limited time on that one, but again, so far so good....

On the flipside my buddy had a pretty bad time updating through his iPad (this was P4P though, not Mavic) it stalled out at 99% and would go no further. He ended up having to do the "hard re-boot" on his Phantom to get it going again....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS