DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Lost! Failure to Return to Home

It is EASY for a person to flame and bash someone on here. It is HARD for a person to publicly own up and share their experience on here so others may learn, ask questions, share their insights for the benefit of the community. There's always the few a-holes on every forum that will be judge, jury and executioner. At the beginning of time when the first forum came online, the first troll came along five minutes later. Every forum has a few and here is no exception. Perhaps before they pass such harsh judgement on me they should examine themselves for any times in their lives where they might have made a mistake, if ever. And then share that humbling experience with us so we can all learn and benefit from it. I calculate they won't.

I appreciate the help and support of everyone else. The user msinger AKA MavicHelp has been instrumental in helping me understand exactly what went wrong by examining my flight log and showing me step by step what led to my disaster. Instead of blindly reacting to my sequence of events I have the satisfaction and closure of knowing what happened. Thank you for that.

I've been beating myself up enough over this. An opinion of a closed minded stranger won't change anything. I f'ed up, no doubt about it. Amazingly I also feel a sense of numbness to this loss as I did not have the Mavic long enough to feel like it belonged to me.

Last edited:
I have cleaned this thread up, lets try to keep it that way. There is no need to belittle your fellow members here.
If you see a problem on the forum please use the report button and let the staff handle it. Thank you.

As a followup note to all members... please follow the rules set up by the FAA (or the governing body where you live), to ensure a safe experience.
The last thing we need are more "common sense" rules.

be-nice-on-internet.jpg

Reactions: burtg and scooot
ReaperTS, thanks for the feedback and reminders. Your openness reminds me of what someone once told me when I was on receiving end of lousy criticism, "No good deed goes unpunished."

Have yet to meet a perfect pilot.

Cheers.

Climb High, Pray Higher

I've only flown mine twice (in the same location/same park) and there have been like zero folks around. It's still not a "perfect" area, but it's as close as I can get around where I live. Reading all of these stories just raises the "pucker factor" even higher for me when I fly. I'm just a novice, but I'm already super **** about everything. I try to go through a complete pre-flight checklist every time. I check the motors, props, gimbal, compass and IMU readings, area, etc. all before I ever hit the takeoff, but I know that still won't "protect" me from all ills.

Sorry to hear about your loss guy. Hopefully it won't happen for you again.

Reactions: Reaper Two Seven
Flying over a populated area, in fact purposely sending the drone beyond line of sight and around high-rise buildings? Sorry? You did this on purpose? So your drone, which may or may not have been at 300 feet, has crashed down somewhere, but you don't know where? What, may I ask, would you have done if it had crashed down onto someone walking around? Onto a car and caused a pile-up? Or a child riding his bike? You have blatantly ignored the rules and regulations that govern the flying of quads and then expect sympathy? What makes it worse is that you are not a 'newbie', you have more experience than most yet you have put countless people at risk. It only needs one fatality, caused by an out of control quad and we could all lose the ability to fly anywhere! Not impressed....not impressed at all.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

not considering myself a novice.

I flew towards the city center.

I flew about 7800 feet to the city center with a good signal.

I could tell the signal was starting to degrade around the tall buildings.

mate gutted for you truly awful when it happens (fingers crossed I am a lot more cautious)

thank you for sharing your story its what this place is about learning from mistakes (of your own and others)

your flight log will be helpful, I find its always interesting when the clever bods work out what happened

but... imo for what its worth

(sorry) your post indicates you know or have a good idea why this happened.

again sorry for your loss and good luck with DJi

Mike, we all have done something stupid in our life. Today it's just been Reaper's time. Personally I appreciate Reaper's honesty, I don't know if I would have done the same after losing the aircraft in that way. He shared with this community his bad experience so that we all can make some reasoning before going to sleep tonight, and probably avoid the sum of mistakes and useless risks he's been taking flying the Mavic to death. I am sure many of us after reading his story and his pain during his last suicide mission will avoid flying their drone in a similar mission scenario, starting today. Lesson learned, thanks Reaper's. Fly safer.

Flying over a populated area, in fact purposely sending the drone beyond line of sight and around high-rise buildings? Sorry? You did this on purpose? So your drone, which may or may not have been at 300 feet, has crashed down somewhere, but you don't know where? What, may I ask, would you have done if it had crashed down onto someone walking around? Onto a car and caused a pile-up? Or a child riding his bike? You have blatantly ignored the rules and regulations that govern the flying of quads and then expect sympathy? What makes it worse is that you are not a 'newbie', you have more experience than most yet you have put countless people at risk. It only needs one fatality, caused by an out of control quad and we could all lose the ability to fly anywhere! Not impressed....not impressed at all.

There's a reason why this is my first post. It took a lot of courage for me to open up and be completely honest about my indiscretion. Even knowing I was going to get torn up on here with all the vitriol I chose to share my experience anyways. It may discourage others from sharing their experiences but I haven't lied or sugarcoated anything. I have responded to all criticisms and have not deflected any blame. We are all human, and we all make mistakes. I am a firm believer in making the best of those mistakes by learning from them. Hate me if you wish, but I think it is an admirable trait to take all the flames of criticism head on.

As long as we, as a 'community', continue to tolerate these sort of actions, the sooner the 'authorities ' will come in heavy handed. The general public are suspicious of drones and, without any firm evidence, believe we're all just irresponsible idiots who don't care about safety. Nothing could be further from the truth yet incidents like this can undo all the 'good' publicity that we all try to promote. The sheer number of 'bad press' reports hitting the airwaves nowadays is ludicrous. None of us want any more.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Grey Wolf
I've only flown mine twice (in the same location/same park) and there have been like zero folks around. It's still not a "perfect" area, but it's as close as I can get around where I live. Reading all of these stories just raises the "pucker factor" even higher for me when I fly. I'm just a novice, but I'm already super **** about everything. I try to go through a complete pre-flight checklist every time. I check the motors, props, gimbal, compass and IMU readings, area, etc. all before I ever hit the takeoff, but I know that still won't "protect" me from all ills.

Sorry to hear about your loss guy. Hopefully it won't happen for you again.
I've learned from this and and I won't do it again. I've learned that you cannot rely on technology to save you and that the brain and eyeball v1.0 albeit slower and imperfect will get you through most challenges if used judiciously.

Mike, we all have done something stupid in our life. Today it's just been Reaper's time. Personally I appreciate Reaper's honesty, I don't know if I would have done the same after losing the aircraft in that way. He shared with this community his bad experience so that we all can make some reasoning before going to sleep tonight, and probably avoid the sum of mistakes and useless risks he's been taking flying the Mavic to death. I am sure many of us after reading his story and his pain during his last suicide mission will avoid flying their drone in a similar mission scenario, starting today. Lesson learned, thanks Reaper's. Fly safer.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. This community was founded in the spirit of sharing the hobby with open discussion of technical tips, troubleshooting, and sharing experiences. With the DOs come the DON'Ts. While happily sharing the DOs is one issue, sharing a personal experience about the DON'Ts is another matter entirely. Prior to this, I did a search for my scenario before posting with no similar results. I contemplated about going out on a limb, if you will, and being "that guy." I teetered between posting or not, knowing full well that the wrath of rule book thumping conformists would be coming down upon me. Ethics aside, I think there is a human element among some of us to push the envelope. If people didn't push the realms of possibility we wouldn't have the innovative flying robots colloquially called "drones" we enjoy today.

Moving on, it is my sincere hope that by sharing my experience it has helped others become better pilots and given them pause not to repeat my scenario of sending my Mavic into oblivion. I get the legal, ethical and moral ramifications my actions have generated. I did not share my story to get into a discussion about that, which I feel is where some people are pushing this conversation. But if I can spread awareness with my story (hey this could happen to you!) and spare one novice or experienced pilot the heartbreak and grief of losing a beloved new expensive toy not to mention preventing injury to property and life, I can feel happy that my mistake and sacrifice was not in vain. In the grand scheme of things, that is why this forum exists. Believe me guys, it was not my intention to go out and carelessly lose my long awaited 18 hour old drone. Fly safe as you said and make good decisions.

Last edited:
As long as we, as a 'community', continue to tolerate these sort of actions, the sooner the 'authorities ' will come in heavy handed. The general public are suspicious of drones and, without any firm evidence, believe we're all just irresponsible idiots who don't care about safety. Nothing could be further from the truth yet incidents like this can undo all the 'good' publicity that we all try to promote. The sheer number of 'bad press' reports hitting the airwaves nowadays is ludicrous. None of us want any more.

I will have to admit that I will agree with all your points with one exception. I think incidents like this are more common than you think because how many people will actually have the backbone to publicly admit to them? I don't like news agencies in general because they tend to report on negative things or what is juicy at the moment. I for one am just waiting for that day where there will be some kind of serious incident or injury that will cast a black eye on the hobby. I don't think it's a matter of if, but when. It will be sensationalized in the news because they have a tendency to do that sort of thing. The other day was a bad day for the drone hobby with my situation. But then again, all things being equal, drunk drivers and gang violence kill and injure more people each year then drones ever will.

The title of this thread is misleading. There was no flyaway and the craft tried to RTH. There was no problem with the technology, there was a problem with a decision, or two... or three.
You are correct in that. I initially thought it was a malfunction with the drone but after analyzing my flight log that does not appear to be the case. I apologize if it made it into click bait.

You are correct in that. I initially thought it was a malfunction with the drone but after analyzing my flight log that does not appear to be the case. I apologize if it made it into click bait.
I'd set my RTH Altitude higher then all obstacles around, problem solved :)

Ender

Last edited:
Reactions: Reaper Two Seven
I applaud you on your willingness to share knowing you were going to get flamed by those who never ever break the guidelines. I break them just about every time I fly in one way or another. The internets opinion of me? idgaf

I applaud you on your willingness to share knowing you were going to get flamed by those who never ever break the guidelines. I break them just about every time I fly in one way or another. The internets opinion of me? idgaf

Which is exactly why we will all get banned in the end. 'I break them just about every time I fly...' Then stop flying, learn a bit of responsibility then come back. Your 'idgaf' statement is that of an irresponsible child.

All a game of Russian roulette for some d1cks!

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grey Wolf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser