DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic nearly flew away

djpaulred

Reactions
Good afternoon everyone......Today we took the Mavic out on an open field and we had a little fly away. Whilst in beginner mode, we took off, started to go up, and then it started to wander away from us. Luckily my lad was in control of the controller and started to run across the field. It must have got its signal back and proceeded to return at a very fast speed towards him. This nerved us, so it was landed and brought home.

A warning came on the controller saying out of range, was it the wind that blew it out of range and is this something that will happen alot. We was worried as the mavic was heading towards trees, can anyone help

It shouldn't stop responding to controls, but with obstacle avoidance on, the forward speed is only about 20mph which is possibly not enough for windy days especially since it soon gets much stronger above tree height.
You can switch into Sport mode to instantly get about 2x that speed but not in beginner mode.

Now we have the hang of flying it and the potential it has, would you recommend that we get out of beginners mode and will that give us full control

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Now we have the hang of flying it and the potential it has, would you recommend that we get out of beginners mode and will that give us full control

You should make that decision. If you are thinking about it then maybe

Reactions: willhay555
I got my Mavic yesterday and spent about 15 minutes in beginner mode just getting a feel of the gimbals on the controller, from there I went to normal mode and then tried out Sports mode maybe on my 4th battery! :)

Fly in beginner mode to get used to the controls and on a nice fairly windless day and then go to Normal mode. As mentioned above, if you get into a windy situation, go to Sport mode to get the flyability you will need to get it back.

I was a little concerned, firstly because it's the first time I tried an iPad mini 4 on it, thought it may have been that

This the second time I've read about an IPad mini being used, and the second time I'm looking for quidance. Early research indicated that the "holder" on the remote would not hold an IPad mini?

Anyone have a reference for using an iPad mini instead of a phone?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

This the second time I've read about an IPad mini being used, and the second time I'm looking for quidance. Early research indicated that the "holder" on the remote would not hold an IPad mini?

Anyone have a reference for using an iPad mini instead of a phone?

Holds the mini brilliantly, and really looks well on the screen, not to heavy or awkward either

Holds the mini brilliantly, and really looks well on the screen, not to heavy or awkward either
Thanks for your clarification. Sure seems like a better idea than my iPhone 6. Does the mini have to have a cell plan/connection? Would a wifi connection to my phone work?

Thanks for your clarification. Sure seems like a better idea than my iPhone 6. Does the mini have to have a cell plan/connection? Would a wifi connection to my phone work?

Hi, my iPad is a wifi only and works a treat, gonna take it out tomoz to double check. I was using my iPhone 7 plus and it worked a treat, but bigger is better

I use the iPhone 6.. to be honest I fly my P3's with the iPad air2. When I received the Mavic I used my phone. To be honest I don't really have a problem flying the Mavic with it. The Mavics video feed is better than the P3's.. it makes up for the size difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143