DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Night Shot. Need Help on Focus

gingercookie

Reactions
Hey guys,

First time trying night photo shot with Mavic. Found it hard to get clear focus. I tried Centre Focus, tap on sky to focus, tap on well lit building for focus.

I had one clear photo out of 4 photos, but forgot where did I tap o_O

DJI_0015.JPG

The rest are pretty bad.

DJI_0016.JPG

DJI_0017.JPG

Came home check the photos, disappointed with my skill. Then i went out take other shot with moon. Got it all out of focus :confused::confused:

DJI_0032.JPG
EV-2

DJI_0029.JPG
EV -0.7

Above colors different were the EV i adjusted.

Appreciate Mavic Guru tips on the focus at night Thumbswayup:)

Could it just be a matter of blur from wind? I tend to shoot two or three shots for insurance, if I think there's motion I don't want (even if I'm using a long lens on a tripod). The Mavic focus system is a bit slow, and it loses focus if you reset the camera or shut off the drone, but it should hold for distance properly between shots.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Could it just be a matter of blur from wind? I tend to shoot two or three shots for insurance, if I think there's motion I don't want (even if I'm using a long lens on a tripod). The Mavic focus system is a bit slow, and it loses focus if you reset the camera or shut off the drone, but it should hold for distance properly between shots.

Hey Halley, the shots seem out of focus than blur.

I tried again just now, taking night shot. It still cannot focus well. I tried couple of mode and all the pictures are our of focus. I think it's kinda hard to gain focus at this kind of shots?

I will try to do it again tomorrow night. Trying to figure how to get wide focus on all the buildings.

Hey Hally, I found a way to get the focus.

1. Tap the sky at different places and focus on the building light, lamp post, cars and etc. Make sure no "bubble" kind of light

2. Play with EV and gain faster shuttle speed

Here is the photo in focus :)

DJI_0135.jpg

Once I knew how to gain the focus, I played with 4-6 seconds exposure photos too ;)

DJI_0106.jpg

DJI_0117.jpg

It should be a bar where you can use it to manually focus, how come nobody has thinking on this? Hope they find the way to include MF in next firmware.

Hey guys,

First time trying night photo shot with Mavic. Found it hard to get clear focus. I tried Centre Focus, tap on sky to focus, tap on well lit building for focus.

I had one clear photo out of 4 photos, but forgot where did I tap o_O

View attachment 6173

The rest are pretty bad.

View attachment 6175

View attachment 6174

Came home check the photos, disappointed with my skill. Then i went out take other shot with moon. Got it all out of focus :confused::confused:

View attachment 6176
EV-2

View attachment 6177
EV -0.7

Above colors different were the EV i adjusted.

Appreciate Mavic Guru tips on the focus at night Thumbswayup:)
Use manual focus

Reactions: Rbruz
New flyer and want to take some LE shots this week. Did you turn off the Mavic LED lights too?

Wondering if you can turn them back on mid-flight - nervous about flying blind but want to get a good shot as I presume the drone lights will affect the shot.

Your lights will turn off when shooting video or taking pics, then back on again. If you want them to stay on during video (and risks interfere with shots) you can keep lights on permanently via the settings. Mavic Manual explains all.

Reactions: Imtnbike
Auto focus needs something with high contrast to focus on, it's the same with a DSLR. That's why when you tapped on building light, lamp post, cars and etc, it was more in focus - more contrast=more focused.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242