DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic on LSD - Hopefully Part I and Final

entity-unknown

Reactions
This is a video post however this is also a troubleshooting post. My childish mind tells me the Mavic must be have found some LSD dealer with some really good stuff.

I do have some awesome tech skills however they want to believe the childish mind is probably right, otherwise something with the stabilization software didn't quite work out so well. It also seems to have something to do with the dirt bike breezing by. I'm 10 feet above the ground (yes we both agreed to this shot in the middle of NOWHERE) and just after he passes the drone, everything goes weird and the video is scrambled at the controller. The reason this is relative also is because I zoomed in twice in two other videos before this and each time the video froze, scrambled, and was unresponsive on the controller. In the first two events the video recorded normally however the third instance which is this one; things just went into a world someone like Salvador Dali would appreciate. I'm pretty confident I did not try to zoom on this video since I already had two failures but honestly I can't say for sure.

I am on the latest 4.07 DJI Go App using an Android phone, with the current firmware on the RC and Mavic as of 1 week ago. If they released a new once since( I think I'm on the .600 series? ) then I haven't updated it. I'm not plugging the Lil' Bastard in right now since the batteries are charging and I'm lazy otherwise I'd check.

I did however look to see if anyone else has experience a similar problem since there's quite a few blatant words that come to mind if you watch this video. So I'm really curious if this has happened to anyone out there?

So WT$ am I talking about? Well here you go, enjoy!

Looks like gimbal issues. If the gimbal makes micro movements mid frame then you get weird jello effects like this. I'd contact DJI support, send them the video and let them warranty it.

Reactions: ironmavic
Did you get any gimbal overload or other error messages? It started after you did a 180° yaw to the right. then was intermittent.

Has this happened before? Try another flight and see what happens.

Maybe Skyquake!
300px-SkyquakePrime.jpg

I didn't notice any errors but honestly I was more concerned about the video feed failing and keeping an eye on the Mavic.
This has never happened before but I did have two issues with zooming in and the video feed buggin out for a bit till I unzoomed. Otherwise all has been well.
I'm going to do another test soon but figured I'd get some advice if there was any experience here before.
There def was no vibrations to that extent lasting that long. It was a quick breeze by so I can't imagine there even being that much wind to shake it too much but I'm quite sure it was shaken up a bit.
Still, fun times with the Mavic.... :D
P.S. Epson Bt-300s do not work very well when you're outside flying in that desert terrain in the day. The tan on tan washes out the image even with the Rochester Shades. I accidentally left the Solitaire Ace at home but I'm confident that'd been an awesome flight if I didn't forget em....

Reactions: Anthonyk
I can help but wonder, it look really really hot in your video...
possible overheating on the Mavic?

also, your horizon is so tilted I felt like I was going to roll off my office chair.. haha

Reactions: ironmavic
Could be electronic but it also looks as if it could be vibration is suddenly getting to your camera. Did you check all of the support bands and position of the gimbal plate?

If you determine that it is not gimbal related, start looking for other sources of vibration. motor bearings, prop defect etc.

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: duelingglove
Vibrations wouldn't cause the world to look like a slow lava flow and it wouldn't have perpetual motion. However all the gimbal bands and clips are in their proper positions and the gimbal appears to react like it normally would.

It was 89 degrees F outside and the max ambient temp for the Mavic is 104 degrees F so I'm well within my range but the heat did make me wonder but then you'd expect it to bug out at a different time, not when it gets a cooler gust of wind blown by it.

The Mavic has some issues with really fast or really active objects in it's center of view since I notice the only time it really ever gets choppy is then and when I was using the zoom buttons. Perhaps something with Auto Focus for that because I'm always stable when I use those features since I'm not fancy enough to operate 3 sticks at once.

I never noticed the horizon in this video but there was random light breezes that day. All 5-10 MPH. The other videos rarely have horizon shots too but when they do I'm high up and in an air stream so while moving but I assumed that was expected.

Either way I can't really rule out much until I fly it again. I figure it probably won't happen again but if it does then there's obviously something broken, and if it doesn't.... well then it will remain a mystery and I will def reach out to DJI.

One random ? I've been trying to chase this guy with Sport mode but when I switch the sport button on the remote to on, the DJI Go app gives me an error and tells me I need to enable Sport mode on the remote.....
Maybe I might try a firmware roll back before this Fixed Wing flight stuff since everythings gotten weird since then. Of course I'll at least do a test flight to make sure things are really ok before I go butchering the scientific method of figuring things out..

Was this posted video from your phone? If so, did you have the same distortion on the video recorded on the Mavic itself? This looks like an encoder error, but if it occurred on both the phone and Mavic it's anybody's guess.

That video is directly from the Mavic itself. The video feed on the phone was scrambled like watching Scinemax with no subscription when I was a kid so I'm guessing the video that the phone keeps in cache would look the same.

As a mechanical engineer I'd offer up the possibility of it being interference created by the HT lead on the bike. If the lead from the spark plug is old or not made for road use the electrical pulses can fire out a wave that interferes with other electronic equipment.

Reactions: entity-unknown
I'm an engineer in several trades including electrical and mechanical though my skill levels are jack except a king in one. Saying that, I believe what you're saying as possible because his close drive bys have resulted in oddities twice now and that's only twice we've done this.

He keeps his KTM top notch but I'd imagine he actually hasn't changed his spark plug in a while.
It sounds like I got a few things to check into but hey that's why I posted here for some enlightened minds to give me some enlightening ideas.

Plus I'd be stingy if I didn't share that video :)

Reactions: Barrettsbuzzin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54