Join Us Now

Mavic owners, bad news about the Gimbal ribbon cable

Has your ribbon camera cable been replaced, by you or a third party

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enigma

Reactions
I wondered why there was so many people were getting gimbal overloaded error problems.

People were getting the error in the event of a crash because of a damaged ribbon cable, but why people like me with a brand new Mavic or hardly flown craft with no crash or heavy landings getting the same error. very strange.

Because i have had two Mavics with the exact same problem i was convinced there must be a systemic problem.
I think i have discovered the problem, its the ribbon cable. So why is mine broke on both Mavics with maybe 10 flights on each.

The first photo is where the break is.
The second photo is why i suspect it is being damaged.

This is only speculation, but the movement of the gimbal over time seems to be "pulling" the cable off line, on that "nick" eventually stressing it, causing a spilt. Note the cable is not straight as it should be.

Its seems to be a design problem. If i file down the metal "nick" in the gimbal arm, possibly that might reduce the pulling stress on the ribbon cable.

I have a choice, either i send it back for a third time, keep it as it is, because it works fine if i use the "start up the Mavic at 90 degrees trick" or try to modify the gimbal and replace the cable.1.jpg 2.jpg

At the very least you should share your findings with DJI support. This doesn't help you in the short term, but you may have discovered a bonafide deficit in the design that needs to be addressed, and is responsible for a lot of warranty costs -- DJI would want to fix it.

After a very quick examination of mine based on those photos (thanks btw), for my cable to touch that edge, the camera has to be in an unusable position, aiming so vertical that the lens would be half blocked by the nose of the Mavic. Having said that, a bit of lubricant might be in order just to be safe, but I wonder what is a safe kind?

It's weird how not all Mavics suffer from this. I for example still have my Mavic which I got in 12/29/16. Everything is still working.
I wonder if people are getting different end result cable length that restrict its range?

After a very quick examination of mine based on those photos (thanks btw), for my cable to touch that edge, the camera has to be in an unusable position, aiming so vertical that the lens would be half blocked by the nose of the Mavic. Having said that, a bit of lubricant might be in order just to be safe, but I wonder what is a safe kind?
In the start up calibration sequence it will go to its maximum range, perhaps its the start up calibration which is causing the issue.

Last edited:
i have received a response from DJI, i got a ticket a few days ago, here is a copy of their email:

91fcf03ba3327c2e178502ac3f21b5ef

John A (DJI)
6月29日 CST03:58
Hi

Thank you for contacting DJI.

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product. Unfortunately after troubleshooting we suggest that you send it to us for repair.

To make the repair process easier and more convenient, we created an Online Repair Request system for you. After filling out the online forms you will receive a case number.

To get started with your online repair request click: HERE

To check on the case status click: HERE

Since you have 2 mavics that have the same issue, you will have to make 1 online repair per mavic, 1 per mavic unit.

If you have more questions in the future feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
Jj
DJI NA TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST)
Online Support: DJI Support - Here for You

My response, i copied mostly my original post on here.

thanks for reply,

after much research and close analysis for this issue i have found the reason for this systemic problem, and why so many people also have this problem.

I wondered why there was so many people were getting gimbal overloaded error problems.

People were getting the error in the event of a crash because of a damaged ribbon cable, but why people like me with a brand new Mavic or hardly flown craft with no crash or heavy landings getting the same error. very strange.

Because i have had two Mavics with the exact same problem i was convinced there must be a systemic problem.
I think i have discovered the problem, its the gimbal ribbon cable. So why is mine broken on both Mavics with maybe 10 flights on each.

The first photo is where the break is.
The second photo is why i suspect it is being damaged.

This is only speculation, but the movement of the gimbal over time seems to be "pulling" the cable off line, on that "nick" eventually stressing it, causing a spilt. Note the cable is not straight as it should be.

Its seems to be a design problem. The gimbal start up sequence is stretching the ribbon cable over the "nick" in photo 2, and over time its pulling and breaking the cable.

I will not be sending it back to you, as UK law is very clear, that on purchase my contract is with the retailer and not with the manufacturer, and i have already replaced one Mavic with them under my one year warranty UK customer retail law.

I would suggest that DJI address this issue quickly, as it a matter of time before many units will need warranty repair.

On a more positive note, this is a fantastic product, its a shame its been let down by a small vulnerable gimbal ribbon cable.

Any feedback would be appreciated,
Many thanks,

Tony Wilson

My most favorite portion of the DJI response :

They really need to work on that bot code.
They're not bots. They're humans that can't speak proper English and as such have a bunch of preprogrammed response buttons they can push to quickly respond in English with.

I was talking to DJI today, and all of sudden got a "Please allow 3-5 business days for delivery." where my inquiry had nothing to do with shipping. Immediately after, the person responded with "oops", and "sorry I clicked the wrong button"

That response shows what a bunch of freaking idiots, no wait calling them idiots would be a dis-service to idiots, anyway you get my point. DJI repair and their so called "customer service" is a joke!

Reactions: danny davito
That response shows what a bunch of freaking idiots, no wait calling them idiots would be a dis-service to idiots, anyway you get my point. DJI repair and their so called "customer service" is a joke!
They're not bright, but I think the real problem is the language barrier. English is not their first language.

Reactions: danny davito
For fun, as I was bored, I worked out using litchi App to fly my Mavic back to China and crash it into their offices. It worked out at 30 days flying, at avererage speed of 27mph, towing a hydrogen balloon tethering 2560 batteries behind, at 45,000 feet altitude and a solar panels to trickle charge the battery payload. The real problem is I would probably get a overload error of some kind

Same with mine. My camera does not go that far up during normal operation.

I wonder if people are getting different end result cable length that restrict its range?
This may be true. Some Mavics might have shorter cables where it would rub against that notch causing the issue mentioned by the OP.

In the start up calibration sequence it will go to its maximum range, perhaps its the start up calibration which is causing the issue.
This was my first guess also. I see during calibration how the camera goes way past the operating range.

For fun, as I was bored, I worked out using litchi App to fly my Mavic back to China and crash it into their offices. It worked out at 30 days flying, at avererage speed of 27mph, towing a hydrogen balloon tethering 2560 batteries behind, at 45,000 feet altitude and a solar panels to trickle charge the battery payload. The real problem is I would probably get a overload error of some kind
Connecting 2560 batteries in parallel sounds totally doable. Who wants to finance them? Let's get some Strobon lights so commercial airliners don't hit it en route. @Robbyg this sounds like a project for us. :D

Reactions: Jetzeb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54