DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic parts. Just how much can your Repair your Bird?

Kate

Reactions
Hi
It landed hard on the rear left leg and only after getting it home did i noticed this damage.

If you look close you can see the damaged rear leg support is seperate from the main body and
given the spare part were available, it looks like a simple enough fix.
what would you guys reccomend?
If anyone knows where i could source the part. even if from a dismantled bird, i can bring mavic
back to its proud self.

*As an r/c person, imm used to building my kit, or having 'brand depending', a decent exploded diagram for inevitable ordering of repair parts, spare parts, etc.
i realise mavic is not a 250 racing drone, but a service manual, anything from DJI would be mint aswell

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 326
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 347
Last edited:
The Mavic is a consumer product and considered unserviceable outside of their workshops by DJI, you're supposed to send it in for any repair and no parts nor instructions are available for self-repair.
There are a few people selling parts from parted out machines but that's it.

You have broken the tab that prevents the left rear arm from overextending. Could cause distortion in the thrust line. If you have done as you say you have done and repaired and built RC before, the rear left leg is not a big deal.

Remove 6 Screws on the top. 6 screws on the bottom. Top cover will pop off with gentle force. Dont forget to disconnect the GPS lead connected from the upper shell to the board under the back of the top cover before you start to pop the top off. Pry from the stern forward. Popping the front part will sometimes be a pain to get off but remember gentle force and you wont break it. I have done many dozens of them and not broken a single top cover.

Unscrew 2 philips screws inside holding leg in to its saddle. You might need to scrape off some black silicone on one of the screws, the screw sometimes hides under the insulation. Remove one hex on the leg, and unsolder black white and gray motor leads. Pop out the broken leg and pop in the new one. Solder new leg to main board. Solder it on to the board, dont splice the wires. 2 philips back in, hex back in, pop top back on, remember to plug in GPS lead with tweezers. 6 screws top, 6 screws bottom. Done. Its the easiest (for me) repair to the Mav. The front arms are more of a pain because you have to remove the arm pins, and desolder and resolder 4 microwires and 6 motor wires. Easy to mess up unless you are patient with it.

I have arms for sale. Dont buy the Chinese copies, they are not real and could cause a crash.

Last edited:
If you want to see inside a Mavic Pro BEFORE getting your screwdrivers out the IFIXIT teardown video might prove instructive. :)
Actually, for your repair I don't think it is necessary to remove the electronics, just expose the rear arm pivot assembly so you can get inside the case. This comment more or less assumes you have, from your RC experience, the equipment and materials to fabricate whatever needs fabricating.
If it transpires the shell is broken, and you want to replace it with new (not self refurbished) then you might need knowledge of how the electronics components connect together; and one of those "people selling parts from parted out machines". :)

Ah, I see that while I was typing "one of those people" has stepped in with specific advice.

Good Luck.

Reactions: GovGeek and Edjes
i see :(
i cant see this being covered by warranty.
Are the service fees ridiculous?
call me crazy but im not going to create some spiel that the support broke for
any reason that a hard landing, so they are surely going to charge me.

If anyone out there is dismantling a mavic for parts. yes i will do a search, but if you happen to know
someone who is doing just that,
a link would make my day
thanks

If you want to see inside a Mavic Pro BEFORE getting your screwdrivers out the IFIXIT teardown video might prove instructive. :)
Actually, for your repair I don't think it is necessary to remove the electronics, just expose the rear arm pivot assembly so you can get inside the case. This comment more or less assumes you have, from your RC experience, the equipment and materials to fabricate whatever needs fabricating.
If it transpires the shell is broken, and you want to replace it with new (not self refurbished) then you might need knowledge of how the electronics components connect together; and one of those "people selling parts from parted out machines". :)

Ah, I see that while I was typing "one of those people" has stepped in with specific advice.

Good Luck.

Thanks thunder-drones for that in depth. You must have a lot of experience with mavic for that to be easy. im used to more mech than tech

its not beyond me, but having looked at the teardown vids and, it's not super encouraging either.
the chance, with my soldering anyway, is to make things worse.

I think I will nestle the leg for now, be careful when unfolding. The right rear seems to have the exact ammount of play and extension
my latest flight and fotage confirmed the arm is where it should be in flight too.
Much appreciate the in help in depth :)

Its your call and your bird. If it still flies as it did before and you dont mind the way it looks cosmetically, you prob dont need to do a thing. Just enjoy it, but you might want to get an insurance policy (liability and loss) just in case ;)

Oh and dont feel too bad about the damage. I sell 10 left rear legs for every right rear leg. Something about the way the mav lands that makes LR more vulnerable.

@Thunder-drones , is it possible to buy the tabs that stop over extension of the legs? I haven't seen them anywhere. Also, how can we tell what is a chinese copy and what is genuine?

@Thunder-drones , is it possible to buy the tabs that stop over extension of the legs? I haven't seen them anywhere. Also, how can we tell what is a chinese copy and what is genuine?

The tab stop is integrated into the leg, so there is no replacement for that part.

Alot of companies will advertise their products as DJI products, but I always look for the term "OEM" to know if its real or not. Everything I sell is OEM DJI taken from Mavics.

Reactions: idiogenic
Closeup of removed leg

I would offer this one up, but the motor is seized and the 2 mounting holes to the frame are broken off. No good to you. But the tab survived :)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Reactions: idiogenic
Alas, my rear left motor is buggered as well so I'd need the whole assembly! But thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundtekk
The tab stop is integrated into the leg, so there is no replacement for that part.

Alot of companies will advertise their products as DJI products, but I always look for the term "OEM" to know if its real or not. Everything I sell is OEM DJI taken from Mavics.

it's a tease how the 'tab stop' is seemingly seperate, but you indeed have to replace the whole leg.
much respect to the guys who can do it no sweat, but the leg replacement process is pretty darn clumsy.

my version of insurance will be ordering a spare mavic when i can afford one, and bury it in basement john wick style
I hear you can purchase the aircraft without the controller. This is DJI's one spare part apparently ;)

Hi
It landed hard on the rear left leg and only after getting it home did i noticed this damage.

If you look close you can see the damaged rear leg support is seperate from the main body and
given the spare part were available, it looks like a simple enough fix.
what would you guys reccomend?
If anyone knows where i could source the part. even if from a dismantled bird, i can bring mavic
back to its proud self.

Did you find the broken off part? I'd be tempted to epoxy it back and add some reinforcement over top to strengthen the whole.

I looked at my MP and I just noticed a 'scuff' or dirt mark on the arm where it contacts the stopper (photo) - likewise on the stopper. That indicates to me that that part experiences a lot of stress at that point - so unfold those rear arms very gently. On landing it could be that the momentum of the arms is enough for them to bend down and snap up again adding to the fatigue of that part. I might just epoxy a plate overtop of that tab to give it more structure and crack resistance.
IMG_0332 2.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys