DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RichieFromBoston

Reactions
Let me ask, those that have had the mavic a while what would you realy like to see come from DJI as an upgrade on the mavic, I love mine and wouldnt change the height, the design or anything. I did change the color, but it isnt permanent. And I dig the ultra compact nature of the controller.

Reactions: digitalbar
I would wish for better encoded pictures and video. The quality I get is not at the level I expected.
Resolution is enough. (4K at video and 12MP at stills)

and I am very happy overall with the Mavic and how it flies. If the quality of the pics/video was a little bit better I wouldn't need something more.

4k 60fps will be on the next version I imagine. More protection for camera on landing. Obstacle avoidance all sides. It will be the ultimate portable drone. At least until version 3 comes out.

Here's my Mavic Pro 2.0 wish list:
  1. Fix antialiasing, moire patterns, that plague 1080p video at most/all frame rates
  2. Add the ability to configure the 5D button to control ISO and Shutter Speed.
  3. Add backwards facing sensors like those on the Phantom 4 Pro
  4. Add HDMI out on the controller for FPV/Monitor connectivity.
  5. Provide an optional charger that has the ability to quick-charge multiple batteries at the same time.
  6. Make the controllers interoperable with the various drones. I would like to have a selection of controllers to choose from regardless of the drone I purchase so I can select the one that works best for me. In fact, I may want more than one controller. A small portable controller for vacations would be nice. But I would also like a feature packed controller with the ability to have a separate camera operator for more serious video work.

Last edited:
I would wish for better encoded pictures and video. The quality I get is not at the level I expected.
Resolution is enough. (4K at video and 12MP at stills)

and I am very happy overall with the Mavic and how it flies. If the quality of the pics/video was a little bit better I wouldn't need something more.
Can you explain quality vs resolution? I, probably stupidly, thought they were the same. THX.

So you could have, say 1080p, be better or worse depending on the fps?

Resolution is the size of the image/video and is counted in pixels. The bigger resolution , the more pixels used to capture a given scene. Having more pixels increases the potential for a more detailed capture of the real world. Mavic uses a maximum of 4K resolution for video which is on par with today's standards. The quality has to do with how accurately the actual scene is captured by the given pixels. Sometimes , the algorithms used for encoding/ compression create artifacts that are visible to the captured video or image. IMHO , the Mavic has perfect flying capabilities but I would expect better image quality.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: sonof40 and halley
While all of these camera upgrade desires sound wonderful, but they are mostly wishful thinking. Why would DJI cannibalize P4P sales by offering something very similar. They have a tier system very similar to what Apple does. They offer similar products that are slightly different in performance as you go up or down the product range. Mavic, the basic consumer device, the P4P for more advanced photo needs and the Inspire for the pro level. It makes sense. DJI would shoot themselves in the foot to offer similar performance as their higher placed products.

While all of these camera upgrade desires sound wonderful, but they are mostly wishful thinking. Why would DJI cannibalize P4P sales by offering something very similar. They have a tier system very similar to what Apple does. They offer similar products that are slightly different in performance as you go up or down the product range. Mavic, the basic consumer device, the P4P for more advanced photo needs and the Inspire for the pro level. It makes sense. DJI would shoot themselves in the foot to offer similar performance as their higher placed products.

DJI say they are not worried about cannibalisation of other product sales as innovation is more important. If they can miniaturise a 20mp they will.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I couldn't agree with you more. Although I wish the Mavic had that better image capability, from a product's development/management perspective you are 100% right.

DJI say they are not worried about cannibalisation of other product sales as innovation is more important. If they can miniaturise a 20mp they will.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

A familiar fruit company says the same thing as well but you don't seem them putting many of their product in competition with each other. :)

A familiar fruit company says the same thing as well but you don't seem them putting many of their product in competition with each other. :)
They said they wouldn't make a mini tab, but they did. That would've ate into their full size pad sales (but also taken share from the shorthand sized pad market), would it not? Yet they are essentially able to do the same thing.

I can see the Phantom product line disappearing with the next gen Mavic having more than one model. If you could have everything that the P4pro offers in a more portable form factor would you not prefer it?

They said they wouldn't make a mini tab, but they did. That would've ate into their full size pad sales (but also taken share from the shorthand sized pad market), would it not? Yet they are essentially able to do the same thing.

I can see the Phantom product line disappearing with the next gen Mavic having more than one model. If you could have everything that the P4pro offers in a more portable form factor would you not prefer it?

You could very well be right. No one knows. I see the Mavic as more of a consumer device than a really get work done kind of device. The 1080P is plenty for most people while 4K would be more professional or work oriented. Either way, I have credit card in hand if what they come up with is really compelling.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov