DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I've flown a FC-40, Phantom 3 Standard, Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 4 and Inspire v1.2 and I can honestly say I prefer the Mavic over them all. There isn't much I would improve on other than perhaps a camera upgrade. But even still, the camera is incredible.

As a pro photographer (davenphoto.com) Resolution isn't everything. Your cell phone has close to 20Mp images. In order for the image to improve over 12Mp (current) they need to go to a bigger sensor period. Just like the P4P. I have gotten beautiful 4MP shots out of Canon bodies years ago because of the pixel SIZE. Size means everything when it comes to DR and such. Cramming more pixels into a small sensor is actually WORSE. My guess is that they will not get into a sensor the size of the P4P for a long time. Doesn't make sense as they would have to increase the camera size to nearly the P4P and that's a pretty big footprint. The Mavic is what it is and for what it is, its remarkable. A cellphone (good cellphone) sensor and in good light can produce nice shots. To make that sensor bigger means increasing the size. Any bigger the portability is less dramatic than the Phantom series and you might as well just go with the P4P at that point. get both like I did : ))))

As a pro photographer (davenphoto.com) Resolution isn't everything. Your cell phone has close to 20Mp images. In order for the image to improve over 12Mp (current) they need to go to a bigger sensor period. Just like the P4P. I have gotten beautiful 4MP shots out of Canon bodies years ago because of the pixel SIZE. Size means everything when it comes to DR and such. Cramming more pixels into a small sensor is actually WORSE. My guess is that they will not get into a sensor the size of the P4P for a long time. Doesn't make sense as they would have to increase the camera size to nearly the P4P and that's a pretty big footprint. The Mavic is what it is and for what it is, its remarkable. A cellphone (good cellphone) sensor and in good light can produce nice shots. To make that sensor bigger means increasing the size. Any bigger the portability is less dramatic than the Phantom series and you might as well just go with the P4P at that point. get both like I did : ))))

How would you compare the p4P to the mavic camera? Im also thinking of getting a p4p

In Sport Mode I am getting routinely mid 50mph runs and hit 60.2 mph yesterday with a favorable wind. I would like to be able to stick some leg extensions on and hang a P4P camera off of it. Can't hamper performance that much.

Other than that? Make it cheaper and decrease the waiting time (which seems to be happening).

vsk :)

Pretty big jump up. If you don't need the portability, the P4P bests the Mavic at every turn. Much better sensor, better Dynamic Range, better mechanical shutter for stills, higher ISO values. really a big jump. Nice to use the h.265 as well. The Mavic is no slouch but the better image quality is in the P4P. Also factor in the Front, back, and side (in beginner mode and tripod mode) obstacle avoidance and the craft itself is more advanced. if you don't need that wonderful portability, go with the P4P and don't look back. More detailed images 20MP vs 12MP and the 4 times bigger sensor make for some low light magic. Also, you can post process the P4P images to a MUCH greater degree than Any previous Phantom series or Mavic images. Oh, and lastly.....Don't forget the increased bit rate transmission. 100Mbs vs 60Mbs, makes for more captured detail and resolution : )

How would you compare the p4P to the mavic camera? Im also thinking of getting a p4p

Reactions: MavicGuy and RobP62
Pretty big jump up. If you don't need the portability, the P4P bests the Mavic at every turn. Much better sensor, better Dynamic Range, better mechanical shutter for stills, higher ISO values. really a big jump. Nice to use the h.265 as well. The Mavic is no slouch but the better image quality is in the P4P. Also factor in the Front, back, and side (in beginner mode and tripod mode) obstacle avoidance and the craft itself is more advanced. if you don't need that wonderful portability, go with the P4P and don't look back. More detailed images 20MP vs 12MP and the 4 times bigger sensor make for some low light magic. Also, you can post process the P4P images to a MUCH greater degree than Any previous Phantom series or Mavic images. Oh, and lastly.....Don't forget the increased bit rate transmission. 100Mbs vs 60Mbs, makes for more captured detail and resolution : )

I love the MAvic but I def am thinking about somehting for better resolution.. Loooking at the Inspire2 as well The 4X cam on the inspire 2 seems to be the same as the P4P though

What would have been very cool and yet I have seen nobody mention it is a 4 Pin connector on the bottom near the rear skid of the Mavic, This connector should have a 5Vdc output on two of the pins and the other two should be normally opened but able to be toggled to Closed by a button on the remote or screen.

If this was on the Mavic you could create loads of third party attachments that could be activated by the remote. Of course yes there is the possibility for misuse.

If I had that expansion plug option I could do things like:

1) Mount a bottom Strobe Flash that can fire every 5 seconds if I lose sight of the craft.

2) Attach an Infrared camera that I can trigger on command.

3) Deploy a parachute module on the Skid for emergencies.

4) Deploy an inflatable balloon module if it's losing control over the water.

5) carry up Ardiuno based science projects and activate them at altitude.

6) DIY a 1 watt VHF repeater for Ham radio emergency use.

So many more things could be done. An owner might end up with another case full of expansion modules that can be connected depending on what you are going to do during that flight.

Whats your idea?

Save your money. The I2 ONLY makes sense if your making money with it and need the ability to change lenses, zoom, film in arctic temps etc. Kinda like buying fast/ big lenses for thousands. The P4P gets you 90% of what the I2 will give you in most shooting conditions. The I2 is 3k without the basic camera which is comparable to the P4P one. that's 3700.00 and if you want 2 flights that day, you need 2 additional packs for a total of 4! Those extra packs are easily a few hundred more. Now your up to 4k, considering that these things are not bullet proof to say the least, why take a chance on a 4k bird taking off as opposed to a 1300.00 one? As it is, a Quad is risky business as if ONE speed controller (ESC) or a motor burns up, that quad is coming down fast. I'd rather see a Hexa like Inspire 3 so you can have mechanical failsafes as 5 arms can keep a drone up if done right. Unless you can write the I2 off and/ or make some coin with it, save your money and get the P4P. For the semi pro/ hobby person its all you need. Plus if you loose it you can buy 2 more for the price of one I2 : )))

Reactions: DronePilotOne

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally someone that understands how it works. As I have been saying the entire time. The Mavic is a consumer product to fit 95% of consumer needs. It is not, and will not be a professional drone anytime soon nor should it be.

Reactions: hidaven
Delta, The MP race reminds me of the stereo Watts race decades ago. Same "more is better" mentality. I get it that once DJI started producing some minor miracles with these drones, folks just expect the un-realistic. I used to get screaming 11x14's from that 4MP Canon 1D. These pixels were so big you could recover anything in PP.
As you point out, there are limits. Sensors like the mavic and your cell phones cap out at roughly 12MP, good P&S and the P4P with the 1 inch sensor cap out at 20MP (24 if your part of the Sony dream team), APS-C sensors at roughly 24MP, and Full frame 30-36MP again unless your Sony and produce another miracle in the A7-R2 at 42MP. Now that's a sensor. But again as you point out, if you judge DJI against itself like most do, then folks keep expecting more and more. You end up raising your own bar and are held accountable for bigger and better even if it flies in the face of reality and logic. Want a clearer perspective? Step back and judge DJI against ANY and ALL competitors......Not even remotely close. Go Pro knocked on the door but alas, no one opened up. DJI went from a Podunk company with the first Naza setups, to a BILLION dollar industry giant. They are the Microsoft of the drone industry and it took roughly the same 10 years it took Microsoft. The fact that these things are able to do what they do would have been a pipe dream a decade ago. Like any hobby, you never have just one guitar, RC plane, camera etc. Same here. The Mavic, as evidenced by the hundreds of thousands sold, does it better, smaller, with more electronic capabilities than anything from anyone else. The design should be in the Smithsonian IMO and I'm being serious. I played with Go Pros offering when it first came out and back it went. I think we all need to change our perspective from time to time to get the most honest and accurate assessment of ours vs theirs. : ) I have a dream where I use the same logic to appreciate my wife. I tell her maybe I should date another woman for a few months so I can appreciate her......That dream too disappears in a puff of smoke when she grabs the checkbook and says, " Picture this weighing half the current weight" lol.

Delta, The MP race reminds me of the stereo Watts race decades ago. Same "more is better" mentality. I get it that once DJI started producing some minor miracles with these drones, folks just expect the un-realistic. I used to get screaming 11x14's from that 4MP Canon 1D. These pixels were so big you could recover anything in PP.
As you point out, there are limits. Sensors like the mavic and your cell phones cap out at roughly 12MP, good P&S and the P4P with the 1 inch sensor cap out at 20MP (24 if your part of the Sony dream team), APS-C sensors at roughly 24MP, and Full frame 30-36MP again unless your Sony and produce another miracle in the A7-R2 at 42MP. Now that's a sensor. But again as you point out, if you judge DJI against itself like most do, then folks keep expecting more and more. You end up raising your own bar and are held accountable for bigger and better even if it flies in the face of reality and logic. Want a clearer perspective? Step back and judge DJI against ANY and ALL competitors......Not even remotely close. Go Pro knocked on the door but alas, no one opened up. DJI went from a Podunk company with the first Naza setups, to a BILLION dollar industry giant. They are the Microsoft of the drone industry and it took roughly the same 10 years it took Microsoft. The fact that these things are able to do what they do would have been a pipe dream a decade ago. Like any hobby, you never have just one guitar, RC plane, camera etc. Same here. The Mavic, as evidenced by the hundreds of thousands sold, does it better, smaller, with more electronic capabilities than anything from anyone else. The design should be in the Smithsonian IMO and I'm being serious. I played with Go Pros offering when it first came out and back it went. I think we all need to change our perspective from time to time to get the most honest and accurate assessment of ours vs theirs. : ) I have a dream where I use the same logic to appreciate my wife. I tell her maybe I should date another woman for a few months so I can appreciate her......That dream too disappears in a puff of smoke when she grabs the checkbook and says, " Picture this weighing half the current weight" lol.

Wow. Just wow... I agree 100%. Funny thing is, and this is my opinion, but the people making the loudest and most unrealistic requests are those to whom the Mavic is made for. Photographers aren't clamouring for more because we know it is not possible and unrealistic. The people asking for more are more or less the point and shoot crowd who leave their cameras on automatic and never shoot in manual, or my favourite, use a flash at a baseball game. :)

I want it to have a detachable camera so that I can use it as a handheld, with gimbal stabilization.

I would like to see a camera with a 1 inch sensor preferably the same as the one on the Sony RX100V. The 28mm wide angle lens is fine but maybe a faster aperture of f/1.8 ? Also I wouldn't mind a slightly larger Mavic as a compromise. Last but not least...Rear collision sensors.

Reactions: RobP62
I am wondering if an oversized battery could be fabricated to increase the range available. I realize that increasing the weight would reduce the performance.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I am wondering if an oversized battery could be fabricated to increase the range available. I realize that increasing the weight would reduce the performance.
There are many people that have done this. See the video below...

It's a bad color alright, as soon as the Mavic flies in front of any vegetation it disappears from sight. I learnt that the hard way. I lost sight of mine against some trees and so used the camera and phone to fly towards home, cut a corner and wham! sideswiped a big branchy tree. Knocked the camera and gimble and battery right off and they fell to the ground in three different directions. I had to use a metal detector to find the camera in some long grass.The Mavic landed upside down with three arms folded up. No damage to the props at all and it still flies as good as gold. I'll fly it for awhile to see if it keeps going and if it does I'll send it in to DJI for repairs to the camera. It must have fallen 20 meters to the ground after slamming into the tree, huge bang! Tough little bird that one. I guess my warranty is Kaput now. Man I was depressed that night and next day, babied my little Mavic and then I go and smash it up. Sigh!

I would like (and this could be backward compatible with any drone s/w) the ability to pre-can my mission using Google Earth. Set up L/L based waypoints and have the Mavic fly that mission. (This can be error prone as sometimes GE imagery doesn't bind perfectly to WGS84 even though that is GE's reference.)

What DJI call "waypoint" mode is pretty ... bad.

Heading and track in magnetic would be nice.

Many comments about the camera. For image quality to improve, esp. for desired higher resolution, the glass will have to improve. **** Phyzucks.

There are many people that have done this. See the video below...

Loved that! While it won't be my goal to do such things (the battery mod and the transmitter mod) I like the idea of knowing what sort of mission ranges can be achieved.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S