DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
It's a bad color alright, as soon as the Mavic flies in front of any vegetation it disappears from sight. I learnt that the hard way. I lost sight of mine against some trees and so used the camera and phone to fly towards home, cut a corner and wham! sideswiped a big branchy tree. Knocked the camera and gimble and battery right off and they fell to the ground in three different directions. I had to use a metal detector to find the camera in some long grass.The Mavic landed upside down with three arms folded up. No damage to the props at all and it still flies as good as gold. I'll fly it for awhile to see if it keeps going and if it does I'll send it in to DJI for repairs to the camera. It must have fallen 20 meters to the ground after slamming into the tree, huge bang! Tough little bird that one. I guess my warranty is Kaput now. Man I was depressed that night and next day, babied my little Mavic and then I go and smash it up. Sigh!
There are a lot of vinyl skins you can buy to fix the sight issue.

I would like (and this could be backward compatible with any drone s/w) the ability to pre-can my mission using Google Earth. Set up L/L based waypoints and have the Mavic fly that mission. (This can be error prone as sometimes GE imagery doesn't bind perfectly to WGS84 even though that is GE's reference.)

What DJI call "waypoint" mode is pretty ... bad.

Heading and track in magnetic would be nice.

Many comments about the camera. For image quality to improve, esp. for desired higher resolution, the glass will have to improve. **** Phyzucks.
I think DJI will improve the waypoint stuff but in the meantime there are other apps like Litchi and Autopilot that allow you to pre-plan waypoint and POI missions.

That looks pretty cool Motley, where can I buy it?
There are several places, Decalgirl (DecalGirl | Custom Cases + Removable Skins For Your Electronics!) and Sopiguard (SopiGuard - Sleek Carbon Fiber Protection) are a couple besides what is on Amazon and Ebay. There is another one that seems even better (DJI Mavic pro用 ドローン ラッピング・スキンシール DRONEWRAP.SHOP) but the site has not opened in English yet although they say it is coming.

While all of these camera upgrade desires sound wonderful, but they are mostly wishful thinking. Why would DJI cannibalize P4P sales by offering something very similar. They have a tier system very similar to what Apple does. They offer similar products that are slightly different in performance as you go up or down the product range. Mavic, the basic consumer device, the P4P for more advanced photo needs and the Inspire for the pro level. It makes sense. DJI would shoot themselves in the foot to offer similar performance as their higher placed products.

Maybe because many people would never go for some bulky, unfoldable, P4 but still want the best pictures and films possible in a small and compact drone?
I would be DJI, I would drop entirely the P4 and put everything in something like the Mavic.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
Amen to increased picture quality. But, I would like to see a programmable flight list for takeoff that you check off (optional) before flying. Also make it open so you can add or delete items. I'm a big fan of laminated cards, but this would keep the key items right in front of you lest the gremlins of older age sneak up on the launch pad from time-to-time. DJI could give us that right now.

Here's my Mavic Pro 2.0 wish list:
  1. Fix antialiasing, moire patterns, that plague 1080p video at most/all frame rates
  2. Add the ability to configure the 5D button to control ISO and Shutter Speed.
  3. Add backwards facing sensors like those on the Phantom 4 Pro
  4. Add HDMI out on the controller for FPV/Monitor connectivity.
  5. Provide an optional charger that has the ability to quick-charge multiple batteries at the same time.
  6. Make the controllers interoperable with the various drones. I would like to have a selection of controllers to choose from regardless of the drone I purchase so I can select the one that works best for me. In fact, I may want more than one controller. A small portable controller for vacations would be nice. But I would also like a feature packed controller with the ability to have a separate camera operator for more serious video work.
Add a larger sensor to the camera and a better glass, megapixels is not the issue.

Sent from my XT1563 using MavicPilots mobile app

Amen to increased picture quality. But, I would like to see a programmable flight list for takeoff that you check off (optional) before flying. Also make it open so you can add or delete items. I'm a big fan of laminated cards, but this would keep the key items right in front of you lest the gremlins of older age sneak up on the launch pad from time-to-time. DJI could give us that right now.

You could use a notes/todo app in your phone?

...so long as you remember to open it before you fly!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

As a pro photographer (davenphoto.com) Resolution isn't everything. Your cell phone has close to 20Mp images. In order for the image to improve over 12Mp (current) they need to go to a bigger sensor period. Just like the P4P. I have gotten beautiful 4MP shots out of Canon bodies years ago because of the pixel SIZE. Size means everything when it comes to DR and such. Cramming more pixels into a small sensor is actually WORSE. My guess is that they will not get into a sensor the size of the P4P for a long time. Doesn't make sense as they would have to increase the camera size to nearly the P4P and that's a pretty big footprint. The Mavic is what it is and for what it is, its remarkable. A cellphone (good cellphone) sensor and in good light can produce nice shots. To make that sensor bigger means increasing the size. Any bigger the portability is less dramatic than the Phantom series and you might as well just go with the P4P at that point. get both like I did : ))))

I have to think the same miniaturization technology that produced the Mavic as an evolution of the earlier generations of 4K video/photo drones will result in a smaller package for the full frame 20mp sensor so the Mavic would not have to grow in size, probably just price! While we're at reinventing the MP let's add the 5 way obstacle sensors, solar cells on top of the flight batteries and a water landing option as an add on package.....

I would like to see zoom lens, longer flight time and blades that are canted back at the tips like on a military helicopter to bring down blade noise and increase efficiency. It would get noticed much less and fly farther. The blades could even be after market.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Mavic Pro is the future. The next gen Phantom will take lessons from Mavic Pro, when it comes to size and portability. The cameras always improve, on any of DJI's product lines. If the next Mavic Pro got upgraded with ONLY a better camera, 20+P with a 1" or even 4/3 censor I would never look at another drone.

If it is not already known, DJI bought a stake in Hasselblad, so obviously they take photography seriously. I believe they are also trying to match their quality found on DSLRs in a salami slicing way.

If it is not already known, DJI bought a stake in Hasselblad, so obviously they take photography seriously. I believe they are also trying to match their quality found on DSLRs in a salami slicing way.

I figure that Hasselblad has probably been working full time for the last 3 months on a new Mavic camera. I just wonder if they can come up with something that is even as good as a medium priced micro 4/3 camera that can fit in the mavic. What is the salami slicing method? Do you mean exposing the sensor to a small section of the picture and doing that multiple sections and then combining them together?

Rob

Reactions: DronePilotOne
I would like a better camera/gimbal system. One that is easily replaceable or upgradable. Getting the best image and video from the Mavic requires some tinkering with camera setting.

A dual battery system for redundancy (similar to the M200 series). Too much to ask for?

What is the salami slicing method? Do you mean exposing the sensor to a small section of the picture and doing that multiple sections and then combining them together?

Rob

No. I only meant to say small incremental way.

I would like to see a Mavic XL

Same basic design, about 20% larger

Partner with THERMAPP which offers a relatively high resolution thermal sensor (people out to 300m, vehicles out to 500-800) and create an interchangeable gimbal payload for search and rescue, security, house R-Value inspection

Interchangable gimbal package would also allow for upgrading cameras

A 360 degree situational camera (see kogeto Dot) basically downward facing camera that shoots at a mirror shaped like a cone. Software warps the image back into something you can recognize. In automatic mode it will always display whatever direction the velocity vector is in.

It wouldn't work during big maneuvers but in cinematic, tripod or slow speed tracking it will let you simultaneously film the subject with the main camera while a picture-in-picture shows you what you're about to run into if you don't pay attention ;)

360 degree collision avoidance

Anti-wire collision avoidance (forward facing laser "fanned out" perpendicular to the ground) to supplement the normal collision avoidance especially for loss of signal RTH flight. Will also help with trees

Downward facing IR illumination turned on as needed to help VPS at low altitudes /
low light, and for precision landing in low light

Ability to set ATTI mode priority to prevent crazy things from happening while flying indoors

Integrated GPS tracker and sim card

Basic water resistance of the electronics (even if not feasible for the motors), 30m @ 1m

Quick change motors

Dual micro SD card slots for redundant recording should one card go bad on an important shoot, or to allow higher data transmission rates (Think Raid 0 but for SD cards)

GPS grid "estimate" capability of a point of interest. The drone knows it's own location and space (via internal GPS), knows the point of interest's direction from the drone (via internal compass) and knows what angle the camera is at to center it in the display. Using this it calculates and returns an estimated gps location of the subject (estimated because without something like a laser rangefinder it's not going to be precise). Useful for search and rescue, security or LEO work.

Maybe a health monitoring system that tracks temp, stability etc of each motor to predict failure, recommending replacement.

Also experiment with software solutions to see if there is a way to compensate for loss of a motor in flight (not allow you to control it, but just keep it upright and emergency land at a safer downward velocity. This isn't to save the drone, but reduce risk of injuring anyone around)

------

Maybe a companion tethered drone. Like the MAVIC XL but tethered. Power is fed via wire from ground with large battery, inverter, generator or wall socket. Battery not needed, except maybe just enough for emergency descent should power be interrupted. Weight saved can go towards payload (HAM radio repeater or similar to get a signal higher, thermal camera for security work, high res camera for news, etc).

8 motors (same location, but one facing down and one facing up, to allow for redundancy and reduced load on each individual motor), won't fold up the same but maybe quick disconnect arms. Drone keeps constant tension on cable and attempts to counter wind to stay as vertical as possible. Max alt: 400 feet, max duration: potentially until a component fails so long as power is available

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S