DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro battery & antenna mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too would like to see the spec's and RF radiation pattern, but on the other hand as a long time HAM I know that the 'Yagi' antenna design has been around for a long time and has proven performance, I have used them for many rigs from 2-20 meters FM & UHF/VHF radios.
a little proof on yaggi performance.

that rig is using 2.4ghz for video (analog) a standart 3dbi rubber ducky antenna on the aircraft (a y6 multirotor) and the receiver is using a yaggi antenna 11dbi Team BlackSheep Online Store - TBS 2.4Ghz Yagi (11dB)

video quality was perfect at 4km i could probably have gone to 6/7 before i had to head back if i wasn't constrained by the battery.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I would still like a comparison between the few different options we have now.

These 8dbi V shaped yagi antennas
The Maxx UAV 9dbi Flat plate antenna
Or
Something like the drone world Firebridge

What a thread, I also have used FPVLR antennas in the past and am about to install the Mavic ones since they are so portable and still fit in stock pouch.
I am a HAM operator and have SWR meters for difference frequencies including microwaves and Tony's 2.4 and 5.8GHz have a SWR of 1.2:1 or better which means they are excellent. Also I don't see why they should put tech info on their website when the end user is non technical and wants to only know roughly how far he can go with the aftermarket antenna.
Also a HAM, N5CRK, I used his antennas on my P3 and it really increased signal penetration, the SWR was 1.1:1, so you can't get much better, almost no reflected RF at all. I doubled my range (almost) but more important no signal drop outs at under 2 miles at low altitudes. I may add these antennas to my kit, and get a set of small screw on 1//4 wave dipoles for the in close flying.

a little proof on yaggi performance.

that rig is using 2.4ghz for video (analog) a standart 3dbi rubber ducky antenna on the aircraft (a y6 multirotor) and the receiver is using a yaggi antenna 11dbi Team BlackSheep Online Store - TBS 2.4Ghz Yagi (11dB)

video quality was perfect at 4km i could probably have gone to 6/7 before i had to head back if i wasn't constrained by the battery.
You don't have to sell me dude, I have used Yagi antennas for many years.

OK, I've got one more and, hopefully, final question on this topic for the HAM operators here: Do you think that there may be any risk of transmitter damage due to reflected power if a custom antenna or Range Extender with poor matching characteristics were to be placed on the antenna output terminals of a Mavic controller? Or is that only a concern with higher powered transmitters than a Mavic controller?

Reactions: Weidy
This is really getting silly.
Being a HAM like I said , I have all kinds of little devices, some left over by my late dad.
I have been using a Spectrum analyzer by RFEXPLORER, and also their signal generator,
their spectrum analyzer covers both 5.8Ghz and 2.4Ghz so does their signal generator.
I don't only get SWR reading which is excellent, but also I can measure and compare different antennas for gain.

I quickly built and installed a simple dipole 2.4GHz with good performance on the spectrum analyzer and I can use the FPVLR MAVIC antenna to send a signal in the direction of the receiving antenna on the spectrum analyzer.
Of course a wide open space would be better than my cold basement , but I get a very good idea of the pattern of the antenna. The stock Mavic antenna is really poor, and actually performs a bit worse than the dipole I built by hand (the one installed on the spectrum analyzer). This might be due to the pcb printed nature of stock antenna. Dielectric material like FR4 (pcb board material) tends to lower efficiency. Once I put on the FPVLR YAGI antenna on the signal generator, sure enough I was having readings of 8 to 10 decibels higher than the stock Mavic Antenna.

Now, you don't need a PHD to understand that in order to double distance you need at least 6dB more "gain". This means that the FPVLR antennas will deliver at least double range or even a tad more. SWR is not an issue so the antenna is legit and it's a YAGI, which 2 Japanese people invented decades ago. I see Tony must have modifield the angle, making the dipole at the center into V. This technique according to WIKIPEDIA gives a normal dipole some directionality in the direction of the opening of the V shaped dipole. Then he added a reflector of larger size compared to the dipole, also V shaped, at roughly 1/4 wavelength. This must have been enough to give this Yagi the needed oomph, without compromising the aiming angle which seems to be wide about 80 to 90 degrees, but vertical beam width seems smaller, at about 60 degrees. I'll take those numbers, the Yagi antenna seems to be well thought out for the purpose of wide beam width, high efficiency (low element count), lightness and portability.

I too would have preferred to see a data sheet with the radiation pattern, but have learned enough from my measurements to make me comfortable in its performance and usability. I hope this helped!

Shannon, there are really 2 competing long range antenna for the Mavic. We have the Maxx Uav and the FPVLR. Do you have any thoughts on the comparison between the 2? For me, I'm leaning toward the FPLVR as it looks more compact after unscrewing the antenna. For raw performance, do you see any advantages of one over the other? The Maxx Uav looks to be amplified. Is the FPLVR amplified? If not, can an amplifier be installed for even more signal? Is one antenna more directional than the other? Any thought you can provide would be greatly appreciated. You seem well studied on the subject.

Very well stated Shannon.....wombat55 said he can't believe
no one did test flying backwards....WHAT? once again he lacks
common sense....you ALLWAYS point your antenna towards your craft. these are directional antennas, so why would you even say that
in reference to achieving the strongest signal??? I also see wambat55 liked your post......
See!! he's learning something here.. Take your paper back BS PHD
theory and stuff it where the sun don't shine..... because that's what it's
worth!!

Take it easy on Wombat55. There's nothing wrong with questioning something. Look at the great technical insight we received as a result of it. I enjoy the variety of personalities on this forum. It would be boring if we were all the same. The only thing that pisses me off are when someone reports an individual to the FAA like that GreyWolf member. I have no tolerance for that.

Take it easy on Wombat55. There's nothing wrong with questioning something. Look at the great technical insight we received as a result of it. I enjoy the variety of personalities on this forum. It would be boring if we were all the same. The only thing that pisses me off are when someone reports an individual to the FAA like that GreyWolf member. I have no tolerance for that.

Thanks, CyberNate, but wrong response to someone who is trolling in such an obvious manner.

Five miles, awesome! I apologize for some here who believe that the only option is to do exactly as they are told by big brother. There are many, many people flying safely long range and in other situation that some would consider dangerous.

Shannon, there are really 2 competing long range antenna for the Mavic. We have the Maxx Uav and the FPVLR. Do you have any thoughts on the comparison between the 2? For me, I'm leaning toward the FPLVR as it looks more compact after unscrewing the antenna. For raw performance, do you see any advantages of one over the other? The Maxx Uav looks to be amplified. Is the FPLVR amplified? If not, can an amplifier be installed for even more signal? Is one antenna more directional than the other? Any thought you can provide would be greatly appreciated. You seem well studied on the subject.

I dont think an amplified antenna would do any good unless it was also amplified on the drone. The limiting factor is RX from the drone not TX from the controller. You cant get RX gain with and amp on the controller.

I dont think an amplified antenna would do any good unless it was also amplified on the drone. The limiting factor is RX from the drone not TX from the controller. You cant get RX gain with and amp on the controller.

Actually that's not true. You can amplify the receiving signal as well as transmitting. It's not always effective, as you amplify noise as well. I'm speaking in general. You could be right when it comes to the Mavic signal.

Some people have had good luck with fpvlr products. I purchased a high end kit for a phantom 2 vision+ from Tony. Even had him do the install. In my circumstance his kit or install were total junk. Never performed close to what was claimed. After several attempts to get his kit working and not getting any results I. I started getting private messages from others telling me to beware of fpvlr products. So I just put this experience out there for you to consider when buying.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: dirkclod
Some people have had good luck with fpvlr products. I purchased a high end kit for a phantom 2 vision+ from Tony. Even had him do the install. In my circumstance his kit or install were total junk. Never performed close to what was claimed. After several attempts to get his kit working and not getting any results I. I started getting private messages from others telling me to beware of fpvlr products. So I just put this experience out there for you to consider when buying.

That is comforting.
I may wait to hear more of peoples results before i modify mine.
The kit is already on the way though.

Why don't you simply point out to the company that their product is not living up to their published specs?

Oh.......

I dont think you can get much effective amplification from 1 side. Maybe we should ask wombat? :D

The New Horizons spacecraft of the recent Pluto flyby mission was having two-way communications with Earth from 3 billion miles away with a 12-Watt transmitter and a tiny antenna. :D

The New Horizons spacecraft of the recent Pluto flyby mission was having two-way communications with Earth from 3 billion miles away with a 12-Watt transmitter and a tiny antenna. :D

Right but would the signal have been any better received from new horizon if earths was transmitting at 50W vs 12? I think not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada