DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro battery & antenna mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what was your informed purchasing decision on buying the Mavic pro? was it the so claimed 4.3 mile range? your not going to get that
range unless you live on a beach or a desert. so in reality you must
test your range in real life circumstances, rather then paper back
mislead information..... these 9dbi yagi antennas I bought for my Mavic
do work very well...and made a very big gain on distance...

My informed purchasing decision was a lot of information from DJI, they did publish their specs funnily enough, and yes they even state themselves that's best case scenario. I also watched people on YouTube fly those distances with stock antennas. Of course those tiny little plastic antennas aren't going to be the 'best' setup. And what do you even mean paperback 'mislead' information.... people HAVE flown that far. It also depends if you're in FCC or CE mode and that is determined by your physical location in the world. That's well documented and I've discussed it with DJI support. North America = FCC, rest of world = CE mode.

You want a misleading statement? Here's one and I quote: "
these 9dbi yagi antennas I bought for my Mavic
do work very well...and made a very big gain on distance..."

No actual facts there mate. You didn't even say how much? Maybe you should sell antennas too?

This thread is a typical product sales thread.
Someone recommends a product, then someone representing the product comes in and acts very neutral. Then when the nay sayers chime in we get a bunch of satisfied customers squashing all arguments and telling us how great the product is.

The last time I got involved in one of these I found out that all of the "happy customers" were members of the companies personal forum. I am NOT saying that is the case here but it does boggle the mind that Antenna plots cannot be produced for this product! I once again state that I have no doubts that this does increase your forward gain, what I want to know is how much is the beam width affected and the back to front ratio etc. This needs to be shown against the Mavics factory antenna so we know exactly what to expect.

For those jumping in blindly with no experience in using a highly directional antenna I know that all you are hearing is "More range" "More Range". your brain is blocking out all other conversations except the ones that you like. What you need to understand is that the More range may end up costing you your Mavic which may be lost for all eternity.

As you go further out the pointing of this antenna becomes more and more critical. If you lose the signal because you yawed the craft to the left and then you start trying to recover the signal you will end up in an endless loop. This is not some Analog device that responds instantly to a signal lock. You may point it right at the Mavic and get nothing unless you hold it steady for a few seconds.

When you have lost signal and are in a panic you will start to swing the antenna around hoping to see a sudden signal lock and when that does not happen due to the digital delay in processing and showing of the signal strength you will soon start swinging in a wider pattern which decreases the chances of you ever regaining the signal.

My point is that these antennas are for very experienced operators. In the Ham Radio world you typically start out with a Dipole antenna because it is fairly Omni directional in pattern and cheap. When you understand propagation and when you know where to look for signals you typically want to purchase a Beam. If I am a rank amateur and point my beam antenna at the wrong time of the day towards Germany I am not going to hear all the receivable stations in Japan and I still wont hear Germany. With an Omni directional Antenna I will hear Japan, they may be weak but I will hear them. With the beam it's like lights out if you move too far off of the Target.

Anyway I have said enough on this, those who only want to hear "more range" will probably only hear those two words.

Last edited:
My informed purchasing decision was a lot of information from DJI, they did publish their specs funnily enough, and yes they even state themselves that's best case scenario. I also watched people on YouTube fly those distances with stock antennas. Of course those tiny little plastic antennas aren't going to be the 'best' setup. And what do you even mean paperback 'mislead' information.... people HAVE flown that far. It also depends if you're in FCC or CE mode and that is determined by your physical location in the world. That's well documented and I've discussed it with DJI support. North America = FCC, rest of world = CE mode.

You want a misleading statement? Here's one and I quote: "
these 9dbi yagi antennas I bought for my Mavic
do work very well...and made a very big gain on distance..."

No actual facts there mate. You didn't even say how much? Maybe you should sell antennas too?

This is not a misleading statement, I have all my screen shots of my
flights saved for REAL authentication of my distances with stock antennas, and
with my 9dbi yagi 2400 MHz saved. sorry I didn't post price for them.
$95.00 for antennas. if you would like, I can send them to you?....that
is ....my screen shot vids...
Clearly you will see a big improvement in signal....and yes you must
use the radar and point your radio in the same direction of the Mavic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
i tested some ear reflectors today and just with those i can get 3 bars more hovering 1 mile away blocked by trees.
I have several locations i am going to test with each setup stock, with ears and with yagi and see how much difference it will make.

Ok,... great news tonight,
i tested some ear reflectors today and just with those i can get 3 bars more hovering 1 mile away blocked by trees.
I have several locations i am going to test with each setup stock, with ears and with yagi and see how much difference it will make.

good news,... now look at my next post.... just flew tonight..

Ok, I just flew 10 mins ago.... here's the bonus..

I flew from inside my house from sitting at my kitchen island, just from a small window
pointing my radio ....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!range 1.jpg range 2.jpg

Last edited:

I flew from inside my house from sitting at my kitchen island, just from a small window
pointing my radio ....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!View attachment 7252 View attachment 7253

That's pretty good. Are the antenna connectors standard SMA? At least then you could easily swap Yagi's and other types of antenna (e.g. 2.4Ghz whip antenna) for different situations.

I wonder how the sma connectors will do getting removed and put back on over and over a 1000 times.

Might be a good idea to add a quick connector, where you just press on the antenna rather than having to screw on the threads everytime. Could just put a quick connector between. Perhaps the connection wouldn't be as good?

Might be a good idea to add a quick connector, where you just press on the antenna rather than having to screw on the threads everytime. Could just put a quick connector between. Perhaps the connection wouldn't be as good?

Hmm the SMA connectors (at least the ones I've used lots in the past), all seem to be pretty durable (as long as you don't bend the little pin inside the male part). I think if you're careful when you do it you should be able to do it many times. At least you'd hope so. The Yagi's are big, and transporting them attached to the RC isn't going to be a good idea. You'd want to remove them during transport I'd think.

There were no trees. Wide open ground. I agree I could've gone higher. Was at 50m out to that point but rose to 80 to give better clearance and signal but it was still dodgy. Decided to turn around and come home.

The Mavic was hovering about 400m away after flying back and had the app disconnect and wouldn't reconnect. Hit RTH to get it home although ATTI would've been fine. I'm not happy with the number of disconnects under Marshmallow on my Moto Z Play. I might have to get an iPad. Did you feel the earth quake and the disturbance in the Force when I said that?
I also had issues with the latest firmware on feb 14, I rolled mine back. I did just buy an iPad mini 2 with cell off Craigslist (new sealed in box) for $200, but that's for a bigger screen. Looking for a good mount now, I don't like the balance in the controller brackets. Just a warning, all iPads have magnets, some say a smart watch has caused compass issues. Just make sure the magnet side is furthest away from the controller. Or maybe even calibrate the IMU, compass, and controller with the iPad in place. That's what I plan to do once I get the mount. Escecialy the controller since it has Hall effect sensors for the sticks.
Then maybe I'll move on to the antenna thing, one thing at a time for now. Just reading a researching now.

pointing my radio ....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!View attachment 7252 View attachment 7253
Hi Jkantiques please can you post some photos of the battery mod.
Thanks

PS SMA connectors are quite resilient, I'm a radio engineer and use them quite a lot, provided you don't cross thread them there's not much to go wrong.

I think a picture of the connectors would be a great help for what people might want to know, it will help us understand how it's installed. Can you take a picture of the connectors with the battery removed?
That would bre great,
Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf