DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

AMars32

Reactions
d9ab44f4de4121f07375c6f1ba3b02be.jpg

Hey Guys,
So I Just got done testing this mod, and I wanted to let you know my results. I know that there is a lot of controversy over whether or not these actually work. In sport mode the batteries add about 4.3 minutes of flight time, while in regular flying the batteries add about 8.2 minutes of flight time even with the extra weight. It's not a huge difference but it can come in handy. I also like the way that the Mavic flys with the extra weight, it feels more stable. The mod I constructed above weighs around 176 grams in total. After about 2 hours of testing I have experienced no problems. I did a lot of research before testing this in the field and found that the extra power on the Mavics battery cells shouldn't affect it. My guess on how this works is that the LiPo batteries charge the Mavics smart battery while it is flying, as the remote doesn't read any extra mAh or volts, another reason I have for this theory is that the LiPo's can be used for three flights before they should be charged again. I am happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
Can you share your specific flight minutes?. What specific batteries ate you using? And what is the altitude at your location? Thanks

In the picture above I am using 910 mAh thunder power batteries and those are what I used for my testing. I also use rhino 1050 mAh and would highly recommend these as they have the xt60 connector built into it. The elevation of my location is 764 feet, when I performed the test I was flying around 410 feet. So in sports mode I basically just flew back and forth between a 2500 feet track, without the mod I was typically getting between 13-14 minutes and with the mod I was getting between 17-20 minutes depending on how long i hovered during the flight.

I also highly recommend getting the landing gear in general but especcialy for this mod due to the batteries on the sides.

Reactions: Pallidin
As an RC enthusiast of 8 years i fail to see the point of this.

What is the actual point?

at least for me, I have had several incidents where I am shooting (mainly skiing) and the battery runs low and I have to land right when the best footage is coming up. I always like to experiment with new things and thought I would give this mod a try and share my thoughts, for everyone who had questions. I hope to try the antenna mod next. Although this mod may be pointless for some, I feel it was worth it for me as an extra 6 minutes can be a lot when making an edit.

at least for me, I have had several incidents where I am shooting (mainly skiing) and the battery runs low and I have to land right when the best footage is coming up. I always like to experiment with new things and thought I would give this mod a try and share my thoughts, for everyone who had questions. I hope to try the antenna mod next. Although this mod may be pointless for some, I feel it was worth it for me as an extra 6 minutes can be a lot when making an edit.

That's fair enough, but you will be putting extra load on the motors and esc's with the extra heat.

How have you connected up the extra batteries?
I can't see how they can charge the mavic pack, surely if connected up in parallel with mavic pack you are juust creating one big 3s battery?

May be a silly question but is there some link on how this is connected?

I've been flying the Phantoms, 2 ,3 for years now with the battery mod and the antenna modification and trust me you will either crash or burn out the board before you burned out the motors,
Now I have the same mod on the Mavic pro and I'm getting also 6-7 mins.
longer flying time, anyone familiar with flying quads for quite some time understands that 7 minutes is a very huge accomplishment...

Last edited:
That's fair enough, but you will be putting extra load on the motors and esc's with the extra heat.

How have you connected up the extra batteries?
I can't see how they can charge the mavic pack, surely if connected up in parallel with mavic pack you are juust creating one big 3s battery?

e48d86d814ca80b323d330274a574575.jpg

This is how I connected it.
I think you are right that it creates one big battery. I just did another test where I only had the LiPo batteries on and the mavics battery off this turned the drone on but the mavics battery did not show any signs of charging. The reason why I thought it charged the mavics battery was because I thought that the battery was charging when only the LiPo's were on, I saw wrong, my apologies. Another thing to note is that as expected the mavic will not connect to the controller unless the smart battery is turned on so when that is low the drone must land. This is probably the reason why the LiPo's can last three flights, due to the fact that the smart battery dies first.

I've been flying the Phantoms, 2 ,3 for years now with the battery mod and the antenna modification and trust me you will either crash or burn out the board before you burned out the motors,
Now I have the same mod on the Maverick and I'm getting also 6-7 minbyutes longer flying time, anyone familiar with flying quads for quite some time understands that 7 minutes is a very huge accomplishment...

Thanks for your input, really appreciate you showing me this mod!

Ok... Now another question... When the Mavic or the Phantom for the matter is compiling the data on board for things like RTH based on the battery life is that info pulled form the onboard chip in the battery? Does the APP show total battery tie with the mods? Or just the battery life of the stock battery?

Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000