DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

ouch geez, there is a good days worth of printer time and a stack of filament in that piece! Why all as one piece though? The additional design time would be a fraction of the print time, save so much filament and be a lot stronger

(Print related question: are you flashed to repetier, or using something else to use non-chipped filament spools?)
teach me old wise one..........not being smart ***, but i got too many hobby's, so im probably not good at anything.......just do multiple things......like jack of all trades......but yes to much filament and time, you are correct, but im working on it........no repetier, just code hack for XYZ cartridge, so i can run external rolls

Good job! You'll find it actually flies better when moving forward. Hovering is unstable with that amount of weight. You'll also see that the rpm's stay the same or less when you get moving forward. There's more lift with clean air and some velocity.
you were totally right. I flew it today out to 40k feet and back, the motors were not quite warm when it landed and that was 30mins of flight with 370g of weight added.

I'm checking now, I have had a second mavic battery straped on top at hover for 16 min. With 10% at landing. 14 mph wind, average power to props 42%. So why not use another mavic battery?

Mavic Pro "Battery" Mod.
Why haven't anyone done this before?....... work`s perfect.
I belive most of you only have one set of "long distance" battery`s, so why not just recharge the modified Mavic battery while the others are doing the same...... And still keep up with the DJI Service Care Plan :)
The Titan 3500mah batteries is just for a test, while waiting for the right one.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 342
Mavic Pro "Battery" Mod.
I belive most of you only have one set of "long distance" battery`s, so why not just recharge the modified Mavic battery while the others are doing the same...... And still keep up with the DJI Service Care Plan :)
The Titan 3500mah batteries is just for a test, while waiting for the right one.

That's friggin awesome! Didn't realize it would be that easy! Plus you get proper cell monitoring and matching voltages. Just need to use Lihv as lipo will get overcharged.

Reactions: Natedoggz
Mavic Pro "Battery" Mod.

Can I ask a dumb question? Why can't you add a plug for another Mavic battery and strap two of the same batteries together? Instead of a XT plug put a plug to fit another Mavic battery?

Asked same thing, even had one strapped on. Flys ok.

Mavic Pro "Battery" Mod.

wow good idea and post.......thanks.......how does it work?

Mavic Pro "Battery" Mod.

ok do you have dimensions where to drill holes, for everyone, and can you cut front with dremal safely , or are wires to close, can you show battery part of GOAPP while all 3 batteries are on......do you get any errors, thanks....good job....got any good tips on a phantom 4 battery too

In case I missed it in here, is there a reason nobody strapping the external to the bottom of the aircraft versus on the top, besides the obvious front leg mismatch., It just seems for center of gravity , not to mention the fact that a 5.2 sticks out like a sore thumb on top. With sensors turned off and taped up, are you concerned of the heat on the bottom?

In case I missed it in here, is there a reason nobody strapping the external to the bottom of the aircraft versus on the top, besides the obvious front leg mismatch., It just seems for center of gravity , not to mention the fact that a 5.2 sticks out like a sore thumb on top. With sensors turned off and taped up, are you concerned of the heat on the bottom?

The bottom is a heatsink and gets fairly hot. I would have some concern about the decreased cooling impact plus the heat on any battery mounted there. My preferred battery location is on the sides mounted with 3M dual lock. You can fit some pretty hefty batteries there. I have dual 4000mah batteries mounted, one on each side. I also run on the top, but I don't like that position. I find the COG is off, with rear motors getting hotter than the front. The 5200mah is a bit shorter than the 3000 and 4000 multistar, but still not as centered as I'd like. Additionally the GPS receiver is partially blocked when top mounting.

With side mounted 4000s, I do see COG shifted a bit forward, as when I take off, the Mavic wants to go forward initially. Anyway, I think the balance is good when flying forward on these distance runs.

Reactions: Natedoggz
Mavic Pro "Battery" Mod.
Wow! You really need to elaborate on the outcome here! Great way to leave the critter untouched while worst case screwing up a battery in the soldering process.

ok started my project, , using the thru battery technique, but watch it there is a PCB board on top.......and im using 1000 to 1500 mah battery for now, but i have not tested

View attachment 13560 View attachment 13561 View attachment 13562 View attachment 13563 View attachment 13564 View attachment 13565
Awesome work Cruzroy, you beat me to it, let us know how it performs. By the end of this year my MP is going to be nothing like what I bought in the pictures, lol!!

I need help clarifying something:
I want to get 1 or 2 spare batteries and mod them but.....currently im very happy with my firmware which is still the .0200. Especially after receiving the mail from DJI (and reading between the lines) im definitely not willing to upgrade so DJI can hijack my drone.
Since batteries also need FW updates, how does this work with new batteries? They probably will have a higher FW version?? Kind of stuck.

well guys....not happy......OFF TOPIC..... i did video tape the whole battery mod on my sony cx160, and the MTS file, wont come off the camera, i had this camera a long time, and this never happened.....so i cant show the process........so if anyone know how to recover.......send me info please......i want to recover the file......thanks.......sorry about that.....you could have saw me burning my fingers and swearing how small this thing is........LOL

So yesterday I did range test with dual Multistar 4000Mah Lihv. I had GREAT performance from the batteries regarding power; however my signal was horrible for the same route I always fly for range test. It got me thinking that perhaps these huge batteries strapped to the side of my Mavic is causing some partial blockage of the Mavic antennas. What do you guys think?

Here are pictures of my Mavic with those batteries:

IMG_20170524_144155.jpg IMG_20170524_144255.jpg IMG_20170524_144207.jpg

Perhaps I need to look into one of @cruzroy 's designs to get those batteries up out of the way of those antenna legs. Sure they don't block directly, but perhaps they reduce the signal.

So yesterday I did range test with dual Multistar 4000Mah Lihv. I had GREAT performance from the batteries regarding power; however my signal was horrible for the same route I always fly for range test. It got me thinking that perhaps these huge batteries strapped to the side of my Mavic is causing some partial blockage of the Mavic antennas. What do you guys think?

Here are pictures of my Mavic with those batteries:

View attachment 13607 View attachment 13605 View attachment 13606

Perhaps I need to look into one of @cruzroy 's designs to get those batteries up out of the way of those antenna legs. Sure they don't block directly, but perhaps they reduce the signal.
At any point when you tuned back did the signal improve face towards you.

well guys....not happy......OFF TOPIC..... i did video tape the whole battery mod on my sony cx160, and the MTS file, wont come off the camera, i had this camera a long time, and this never happened.....so i cant show the process........so if anyone know how to recover.......send me info please......i want to recover the file......thanks.......sorry about that.....you could have saw me burning my fingers and swearing how small this thing is........LOL
I sure haven't taking in account those batteries are pretty small, got to be finger cramping positions, and any test flights yet?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest