DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

I ordered 2 of these Multistar 3000mah LiHV batteries for an extra 6000mah. Only 188grams each. Will try runnning 2 of them. That's some serious extra capacity for only 376 grams plus adapter plug. It might be too much weight, so I'll have to do some low test flights around in an open area. Need to verify that it has enough lift with a good forward velocity over 20mph.

Amazon purchase link:

Amazon.com: Multistar LiHV High Capacity 3000mAh 3S Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack: Toys & Games

I already have my FPVLR antennae with 2 Sunhams 3W amplifiers. I'll be all set for distance run test. Just need to find a good location to do it.

I ordered 2 of these Multistar 3000mah LiHV batteries for an extra 6000mah. Only 188grams each. Will try runnning 2 of them. That's some serious extra capacity for only 376 grams plus adapter plug. It might be too much weight, so I'll have to do some low test flights around in an open area. Need to verify that it has enough lift with a good forward velocity over 20mph.

Amazon purchase link:

Amazon.com: Multistar LiHV High Capacity 3000mAh 3S Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack: Toys & Games

I already have my FPVLR antennae with 2 Sunhams 3W amplifiers. I'll be all set for distance run test. Just need to find a good location to do it.

I look forward to seeing you the batterys... Where link FPVLR antennae with 2 Sunhams 3W amplifiers? I have there 2 x Sunhams 3W amp (P3P).

Reactions: mereflyer
I look forward to seeing you the batterys... Where link FPVLR antennae with 2 Sunhams 3W amplifiers? I have there 2 x Sunhams 3W amp (P3P).

I just have them on controller for now. Eventually I'd like to put one on the Mavic, but there's really no good place to mount then amplifier. The Mavic antennae connectors are easy to get to under the heatsink, in the rear, so it's just a matter of getting the right cables and finding a place to mount the amp.

Anyway, I'm seeing good performance with controller side amps only, but for those crazy 20 mile runs the phantom guys do, you definitely need the Mavic transmitter amplified.

Here is the new long-range from FPVcustoms.com . It ties into the main power cable. Also included is a battery bracket. A 3s LIHV battery (3000 to 4000ma) is recommended for use with this mod. This mod is hardwired.

I have been reading about this and I do like the idea of hardwiring it to the Mavic, it would be easier for certain people who will always use the mod. For me I like the ability to be able to take the mod off with ease. Considering that they both seem to do the same thing I would say it is up to the pilot on which one is best for them.

Is there a list of all batteries tested on the mavic currently?

Is there an "official" sweet spot between Mah vs weight?

I like thunder power and rhino batteries, if you plan on using two batteries I would go between 910 mAh and below 1500 mAh as this will keep it fairly light. I have found that I don't need any more then 910 mAh do to the fact that I can get two good flights from them before I feel I need to charge them again.

Last edited:
I have found that I don't need any more then 910 mAh do to the fact that I can get two good flights from them before I feel I need to charge them again.

That is 2x 910 mAh correct ?

Therefore getting 2x 450 mAh would be the sweet spot to get the lightest weight on the mavic for a flight right? I mean by using 2x 910 mAh you are actually carrying double the weight that is actually used correct ?

Reactions: Delta3
I like thunder power and rhino batteries, if you plan on using two batteries I would go between 910 mAh and below 1500 mAh as this will keep it fairly light. I have found that I don't need any more then 910 mAh do to the fact that I can get two good flights from them before I feel I need to charge them again.

Woah there! You need to recharge those external batteries before every flight. If you don't, there will be a discrepancy between Mavic battery and the external battery which will cause unwanted current toward the external battery, effectively charging the external battery at an uncontrolled rate. This is a bit dangerous.

If you want to match the Mavic battery properly, you should use LiHV rather than Lipo. The Mavic battery is LiHV with has a higher fully charged voltage at 4.35V per cell as compared to 4.2V for lipo. Additionally the LiHV have higher power density, so you can save weight.

Woah there! You need to recharge those external batteries before every flight. If you don't, there will be a discrepancy between Mavic battery and the external battery which will cause unwanted current toward the external battery, effectively charging the external battery at an uncontrolled rate. This is a bit dangerous.

If you want to match the Mavic battery properly, you should use LiHV rather than Lipo. The Mavic battery is LiHV with has a higher fully charged voltage at 4.35V per cell as compared to 4.2V for lipo. Additionally the LiHV have higher power density, so you can save weight.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind. I never really thought about matching the external batteries with the Mavics, I would love to know if anyone has tested this and how it differs from the LiPo's performance.

Yes, what Cybernate said,

I won't go to much further, but may benefit you to read through some of the experience from the mod on the Phantom series, theres a lot of good info.

Dual Battery Mod

The Mavic batts are lihv? I did not realize this. I wonder if this is why.My own tests were less than stellar.

I've done the Phantom 3 Pro dual battery mod and used LIHV batts there, but really have not seen anything about this for the Mavic. All the reports of added batteries just indicated 3S, not LIHV. Can someone more experienced with this Mavic/LIHV comment?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A mavic battery weighs about .5 pounds, and the max weight a mavic can lift according to at least one youtube video is just shy of 2 pounds. (Performance at this weight is basically negligible)

Any thoughts to rigging up a "droptank" using another battery with GPS tracker attached? Once the battery runs dry, shed the deadweight and recover later. The utility is questionable but for sheer experimental purposes...

I just have them on controller for now. Eventually I'd like to put one on the Mavic, but there's really no good place to mount then amplifier. The Mavic antennae connectors are easy to get to under the heatsink, in the rear, so it's just a matter of getting the right cables and finding a place to mount the amp.

Anyway, I'm seeing good performance with controller side amps only, but for those crazy 20 mile runs the phantom guys do, you definitely need the Mavic transmitter amplified.

All right, good more miles with this transmitter amplified, I try my 2 x tp-link 8dbi antenna + 2 x Sunhams 3W amplifiers if fine?

d9ab44f4de4121f07375c6f1ba3b02be.jpg

Hey Guys,
So I Just got done testing this mod, and I wanted to let you know my results. I know that there is a lot of controversy over whether or not these actually work. In sport mode the batteries add about 4.3 minutes of flight time, while in regular flying the batteries add about 8.2 minutes of flight time even with the extra weight. It's not a huge difference but it can come in handy. I also like the way that the Mavic flys with the extra weight, it feels more stable. The mod I constructed above weighs around 176 grams in total. After about 2 hours of testing I have experienced no problems. I did a lot of research before testing this in the field and found that the extra power on the Mavics battery cells shouldn't affect it. My guess on how this works is that the LiPo batteries charge the Mavics smart battery while it is flying, as the remote doesn't read any extra mAh or volts, another reason I have for this theory is that the LiPo's can be used for three flights before they should be charged again. I am happy to answer any questions.
While adding 4.3 Min of flight time the extra drag and wear in the motors are not worth it. I have a large frame quad and a DJI 900. I can add batteries up 16000 mAh. But there is a point where the weight Ure adding on to get more battery run time is out weighed by not just the wear on the motors by carrying the extra load, but also the Wight of the unit and how it will perform in adverse conditions

As an RC enthusiast of 8 years i fail to see the point of this.

What is the actual point?
Tend to agree with you there Nick. All that for 4 Min of flight time. I'd rather just purchase 2 extra batteries and have 30 min extra

Let them get on with it....i'm sure they won't let us know if they burn out their mavics :p:confused:

I'm more than happy with my 23 minutes, i have 20 rc aircraft and only one has longer flight time using constant throttle Thumbswayup

Tend to agree with you there Nick. All that for 4 Min of flight time. I'd rather just purchase 2 extra batteries and have 30 min extra

I hear what all of you are saying and you might be right. I'll know as soon as I test it. From other accounts, it's more like 10 - 12 minutes added flight with a pair of 1500mah batteries. I'm adding 2 LiHV 3000mah batteries weighing in at 376 grams combined. I would expect somewhere around 35 minutes or more flight time running in P mode with obstacle avoidance disabled, which is a good 15 minutes of extra flight time. No one really gets 27 minutes, more like 20 when running at 27-31 mph. This assumes good weather with no wind. Unfortunately we always have some wind here in the Bay Area of California. First I need to verify that this configuration will work at all with some short test flights. It's possible that it's too heavy to use safely.

650g is the max:

Now for a lumecube + yi 4k plus + Feiyu Wg = 400g (front)
To get "equal time of flight" =>200g of external battery on the back.

Could work... (theoretically)

Would +200g on the front be a problem...?

650g is the max:

Now for a lumecube + yi 4k plus + Feiyu Wg = 400g (front)
To get "equal time of flight" =>200g of external battery on the back.

Could work... (theoretically)

Would +200g on the front be a problem...?

The max of 650 g doesn't mean you should go any where near that much weight. At least for me the max I would go is 300 g and I still wouldn't feel completely safe flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143