DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro crashed after hitting trees near Seattle

That was horrible..sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I backed up my Mavic into a tree and crash it at 60ft. My buddy tried doing a rescue using his P3A but the wind caught it crashing his drone as well. We had to use a .22 riffle to cut the branch holding my MP until it fell to the ground.

Had a broken gimbal ribbon, landing gear and burnt smelling motor. Sent the MP to DJI California and received the quotation today for $494. Good thing i got State Farm 3 days prior to crash.

I can't wait for it to be repaired so i can fly again. A huge lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I backed up my Mavic into a tree and crash it at 60ft. My buddy tried doing a rescue using his P3A but the wind caught it crashing his drone as well. We had to use a .22 riffle to cut the branch holding my MP until it fell to the ground.

Had a broken gimbal ribbon, landing gear and burnt smelling motor. Sent the MP to DJI California and received the quotation today for $494. Good thing i got State Farm 3 days prior to crash.

I can't wait for it to be repaired so i can fly again. A huge lesson learned.

so lucky you are ! I will add the state farm once it is repaired by the DJI.

Reactions: Rensyo
I'll hit State Farm up tomorrow, having it gone for almost a month was terrible. Dji did refresh though

Sent from [emoji211]

Wtf wow !! I just received my mavic an I put mine in a tree branch an it fell 10ft my gimbal guard was on that plastic bubble but it landed just so lol An bumped off the bubble An bumped the camera now it doesn't work properly won't rotate in any direction. It moves freely by hand but not when I try the controls upon inspection there seems to be this micro thin piece of plastic from the control arm side coming out of the mavic to the gimbal an it appears to be broken or outta place. Hope it doesn't cost that much :(

This is a very important point that I've repeated a few times already. Neither the gimbal lock nor the dome have a positive locking mechanism. It does not take much force for either to be dislodged and completely separated from the MP. The elasticity of the rubber mounts on the gimbal plate are enough that the entire gimbal assembly can stretch down past the point of either the clamp or dome - knocking both of them off. While flying, this is obviously not unexpected - but just shipping or transporting the MP in a case with a flat-bottomed cutout can cause both to come off - leaving the gimbal woefully exposed to damage.

I'll hit State Farm up tomorrow, having it gone for almost a month was terrible. Dji did refresh though

Sent from [emoji211]

State Farm is worth it! They sent me the check worth $494, 2 weeks after filing my claim with no deductible. I just sent them the repair quotation i got from DJI.

Highly recommended!

Reactions: duelingglove
State Farm is worth it! They sent me the check worth $494, 2 weeks after filing my claim with no deductible. I just sent them the repair quotation i got from DJI.

Highly recommended!

That's peace of mind! Great! [emoji1360]

Sent from [emoji211]

Reactions: Rensyo
I had a similar experience yesterday. I was flying the MP on a Litchi Waypoint mission in a mountainous area. I failed to realise however, that I had set the Waypoint mission from a higher altitude then when I flew it for a second time from a lower altitude home point. As such the MP came in to its Waypoints at way too low altitude. I realised in time and paused the Mission and tried to give it altitude. However, the MP just continued on the mission and crashed.
My question: How can I interrupt / save the MP from crashing during a Litchi Waypoint Mission gone awry?

how did you fix it and how much it ? thanks
Well I was going to remove this video because it was to long, but it's still a good case up look of the gimbal and might help you compare a good one to yours that is damaged.
Sorry this happened.

I assume they meant the switch that puts it in sport mode, the other setting is P-Mode which includes GPS Mode, Atti Mode, etc
Probably, for the Mavic I think you toggle the sport mode switch because it doesn't have a GPS mode switch like the phantoms do. But to stop an autonomous flight with the litchi app on a phantom I think you toggle the GPS mode switch to ATTI and Manual, then back to GPS to interrupt the flight.

Highly recommended!

I wonder how much money State Farm is losing by insuring Mavics. I find it hard to believe that they're making money by insuring Mavics for $60 per year, especially since these policies are much more likely to be bought by people who think that they are at significant risk of a pilot error crash while people who think that they are at a very low risk of a pilot error crash (such as myself) will tend to pass on getting drone coverage insurance,

Reactions: erkme73
I wonder how much money State Farm is losing by insuring Mavics. I find it hard to believe that they're making money by insuring Mavics for $60 per year, especially since these policies are much more likely to be bought by people who think that they are at significant risk of a pilot error crash while people who think that they are at a very low risk of a pilot error crash (such as myself) will tend to pass on getting drone coverage insurance,

There is no free lunch. Any claim or loss filed against a PAP policy such as those issued for Mavics by SF are entered into the LexisNexis/Choicepoint database for risk management. While payment for repairs or replacement may heal the immediate problem, that risk assessment increase on your record will stay with you like an auto accident - potentially disqualifying you for best premiums at renewal.

Say your home owners is $1500/yr. After a claim, your renewal goes to $1800/yr. You call to inquire about the increase. The agent (who has no clue what variables were considered in the underwriter's final cost) will confidently tell you "everyone's rates have gone up by that amount". Or better, "Yours only went up 20%. Most had theirs go up by 30%". And with that, the agent will continue to claim that any claims you may have filed on your drone has not, and will not increase your rate. You will NEVER learn the truth of the impact of such a benign claim - yet it justifies higher premiums. Even if you don't see an increase YoY, you may not have received the decrease everyone (who didn't file a claim) did.

$60/yr is cheap. Having a higher risk rating (that any and all other insurers can see) is not.

Reactions: Wombat55
There is no free lunch. Any claim or loss filed against a PAP policy such as those issued for Mavics by SF are entered into the LexisNexis/Choicepoint database for risk management. While payment for repairs or replacement may heal the immediate problem, that risk assessment increase on your record will stay with you like an auto accident - potentially disqualifying you for best premiums at renewal.

Say your home owners is $1500/yr. After a claim, your renewal goes to $1800/yr. You call to inquire about the increase. The agent (who has no clue what variables were considered in the underwriter's final cost) will confidently tell you "everyone's rates have gone up by that amount". Or better, "Yours only went up 20%. Most had theirs go up by 30%". And with that, the agent will continue to claim that any claims you may have filed on your drone has not, and will not increase your rate. You will NEVER learn the truth of the impact of such a benign claim - yet it justifies higher premiums. Even if you don't see an increase YoY, you may not have received the decrease everyone (who didn't file a claim) did.

$60/yr is cheap. Having a higher risk rating (that any and all other insurers can see) is not.

Interesting points. But I think that car insurance is a better comparison to drone insurance than house insurance is because both car insurance claims and drone insurance claims are heavily dependent on operator error.

In the case of car insurance, when we were all young and got our first drivers licenses and first cars, our insurance rates were quite high. The auto insurance companies assumed the worst about us until we were able to convince them by years and years of safe driving that we were a good risk. You said that there is no free lunch for drone insurance, but actually there is sort of a free lunch for new buyers of drone insurance because $60 per year is pretty cheap for new policy holders who haven't proven themselves to be safe and careful drone operators. Note the big difference between car and drone insurance in their approaches to risk management and pricing. Car insurance companies are effectively saying "You're new and unproven so your insurance is going to be high and we're going to keep it high until you prove yourself to us." In contrast, drone insurance says "You're new and unproven so we're going to give you a dirt-cheap bargain price on insurance but we'll raise it if you get into accidents." That logic doesn't make much sense to me and, indeed, there are good reasons why auto insurance companies don't do that. They would lose a lot of money!

Interesting points. But I think that car insurance is a better comparison to drone insurance than house insurance is because both car insurance claims and drone insurance claims are heavily dependent on operator error.

In the case of car insurance, when we were all young and got our first drivers licenses and first cars, our insurance rates were quite high. The auto insurance companies assumed the worst about us until we were able to convince them by years and years of safe driving that we were a good risk. You said that there is no free lunch for drone insurance, but actually there is sort of a free lunch for new buyers of drone insurance because $60 per year is pretty cheap for new policy holders who haven't proven themselves to be safe and careful drone operators. Note the big difference between car and drone insurance. Car insurance companies are effectively saying "You're new and unproven so your insurance is going to be high and we're going to keep them high until,you prove yourself to us." In contrast, drone insurance says "You're new and unproven so we're going to give you a dirt-cheap bargain price on insurance but we'll raise it if you get into accidents." That logic doesn't make much sense to me and, indeed, there are good reasons why auto insurance companies don't do that. They would lose a lot of money!

What you write makes sense, and at the risk of taking this thread even further OT, I will only paste here what a SF agent emailed to me only after pointedly asking her about possible rate/risk increases due to claims on a PAP policy:

Your concerns are all totally valid!

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that.

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.​

Emphasis added by me. So a PAP is not in any way related to auto insurance. However, a loss (regardless of amount) is a strike. Obviously having a fire that burns down a $300k home is weighted more heavily, but underwriters also look at the number and age of claims - not just their amounts. If a claim is filed, and a customer then goes shopping for the lowest available homeowner's policy, that $60 policy can suddenly become very expensive.

If $60 gives a MP operator the confidence needed to enjoy flying his equipment, then that's probably a worthwhile expense. However, to assume that the only cost of such a policy is the premium (when a claim is filed), i think is being a bit unrealistic and naive. The insurance industry doesn't like to lose money. It is possible that this $60 PAP is a loss-leader to get potential customers into an agent's sights for other product sales. But what is certain is that a loss is recorded in a database that is used by ALL insurers when rating risk. That's a deal breaker for me. Especially since I shop for lowest rates at every renewal.

Reactions: Wombat55
This is a very important point that I've repeated a few times already. Neither the gimbal lock nor the dome have a positive locking mechanism. It does not take much force for either to be dislodged and completely separated from the MP. The elasticity of the rubber mounts on the gimbal plate are enough that the entire gimbal assembly can stretch down past the point of either the clamp or dome - knocking both of them off. While flying, this is obviously not unexpected - but just shipping or transporting the MP in a case with a flat-bottomed cutout can cause both to come off - leaving the gimbal woefully exposed to damage.

If you're talking about the stock lock. 3D version is solid.

What you write makes sense, and at the risk of taking this thread even further OT, I will only paste here what a SF agent emailed to me only after pointedly asking her about possible rate/risk increases due to claims on a PAP policy:

Your concerns are all totally valid!

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that.

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.​

Emphasis added by me. So a PAP is not in any way related to auto insurance. However, a loss (regardless of amount) is a strike. Obviously having a fire that burns down a $300k home is weighted more heavily, but underwriters also look at the number and age of claims - not just their amounts. If a claim is filed, and a customer then goes shopping for the lowest available homeowner's policy, that $60 policy can suddenly become very expensive.

If $60 gives a MP operator the confidence needed to enjoy flying his equipment, then that's probably a worthwhile expense. However, to assume that the only cost of such a policy is the premium (when a claim is filed), i think is being a bit unrealistic and naive. The insurance industry doesn't like to lose money. It is possible that this $60 PAP is a loss-leader to get potential customers into an agent's sights for other product sales. But what is certain is that a loss is recorded in a database that is used by ALL insurers when rating risk. That's a deal breaker for me. Especially since I shop for lowest rates at every renewal.

So the key is to get the SF insurance on the drone AND get any other insurance you need through them (if they are lowest) BEFORE you crash the drone.. and IF you crash the drone, get a new one and sell it on ebay and exit the hobby. Right? :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent