DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro > Fingers

dronefly

Reactions
So, ya… this may be one of the dumbest things I've done in quite a while.

I've only had the Mavic for 10 days now but I've flown it everyday whilst hiking so I'm getting pretty used to it. Yesterday it was snowing pretty heavily and I decided to launch the drone from the hood of my truck since the ground was covered in snow. I usually hand launch and catch but thought I'd try this. Well ... here's where the idiot part comes in... I set the Mavic on the hood and fired up the motors and, due to an inch of snow on the hood, the Mavic immediately starting rapidly sliding off the front of the truck. Without thinking (duh) my instant reaction was '****! Grab the drone'. While. The. Props. We're. Running.

I have no answer for why I would do something so stupid. I guess if it was falling off a cliff or going into rush hour traffic I would just say hell with it and jump in after it. I literally thought I had broke a couple fingers, it hurt like a MF. I think the thin gloves I had on saved me as they sustained a couple rips. The drone was laying there broken on the ground and I'm running around cussing, holding my hand. I put the drone in the truck and walked off to do my daily hike wondering what damage I'd done. 30 minutes later the pain subsided, I mean completely, I took the glove off and no damage done. Only damage to the drone was one broken prop. Today my fingers were not even sore which is weird.

Replaced the prop and was back out flying today. Moral of the story; don't be a dumb ***.

P.S. Drone flew great in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

You got lucky! If the props hit you in a certain way they will carve up your fingers flesh.

I hand catch all the time and I "tipped" my ring finger on my right hand and it smarted for about 15 minutes and then completely no pain (loike you describe) . Gave me a blood blister , but did not stop me from flying that day. I forgot that the rear propellers are just slightly lower than the front ones. I was concentrating on the front propellers and my hand was further back that I should have had it.

Will I stop hand catching? Hell No!

A friend of mine took his hands off his lawnmower to readjust his shirt forgetting he was on a slight downhill. The mower started rolling down the hill towards his parked car. He dove for the mower and sliced off 2 fingers! Some human instincts are just impossible to understand!

Reactions: dronefly
I have no answer for why I would do something so stupid.

Back when I first got into RC helicopters (The first mechanical tail rotor gyro had just come out ) I was cranking a .50 size Nitro up when the thing went full throttle . It was a old FM radio also and it got interference :(

I had a good grasp of the main rotor hub but the tail quickly and unexpectedly swung around toward me and I instinctively dropped the starter and reached over with my right hand to stop it . My fingers wrapped around the vertical stabilizer right into the tail rotor . It happened so fast that I didn't realize I was injured until I reached over to pinch off the fuel line and blood was running down hitting the muffler . 3 middle fingers fileted right down beside the bone like a shrimp spread wide open .

Experience is a great teacher :)

Another issue can be the metal on the truck throwing off the compass. You'd usually get an error when you start the motors and this error should go away once you take off. Just mentioning this to keep in mind. Also, if you loose signal so you really want the Mavic to try to auto land on the hood of your truck?

Im surprised as well. I took off right next to my truck with my now sold Phantom 3 Advanced. Compass error caused it to fly directly left towards the truck and it impacted the trailers ball hitch and the landing gear got entangled by the ball hitch.

It went up and then immediately left and wham.

Big hunks of metal nearby typically don't play well with these birds compasses.

A friend of mine took his hands off his lawnmower to readjust his shirt forgetting he was on a slight downhill. The mower started rolling down the hill towards his parked car. He dove for the mower and sliced off 2 fingers! Some human instincts are just impossible to understand!

Jesus!

I was looking for an excuse to not cut the grass for a while and I think I just found it.

You might have dodged a bullet and avoided a fly-away or crash by launching from the metal hood of your truck. I would have at least expected a compass error.

I'm so new to this I had no idea that truck metal would impact the drone flight. TIL Thanks

****. I really feel lucky now. [gulp]

8cecf3c7f5fd4f08f0327617c743f898.jpg
I did a similarly stupid thing. To save my mavic, I somewhat carefully grabbed it from above. I caught and saved it but this is what a nick looks like: a couple blood blisters and a screwed up fingernail. Won't do that again! I'd rather replace the props!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Slayerstwin
8cecf3c7f5fd4f08f0327617c743f898.jpg
I did a similarly stupid thing. To save my mavic, I somewhat carefully grabbed it from above. I caught and saved it but this is what a nick looks like: a couple blood blisters and a screwed up fingernail. Won't do that again! I'd rather replace the props!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The one blood blister that I received on the upper tip of my ring finger looks almost identical to the one that you have on yours. No nail damage here though.

I guess you could say we are "blood brothers" LOL.

No battle scars here but I launch from the roof of my car without metallic interference warning. I do this by opening up the sun roof and setting the Mav on top from inside the car. It still has a warning at this point because the drone is on the glass which is over the frame. If I then proceed to close the sunroof, with the Mav sitting on the glass, the warning goes away since there's just the cabin below the glass now. The nervous part is landing on such a small surface and I don't trust RTH to hit the mark. But takeoff works and no bloodied fingers.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

They are very sharp.
I flew mine inside a dozen times with no issues. And then one time i decided to show my kids. The drone became very unstable after takeoff and i did not have time to take my eyes off of it to put it in tripod mode. It would not stay in one spot and was constantly drifting. Knowing my 2 and 4 yr old were in the room i decided to just put it down. once over a clear spot on the floor, held the left stick down and it descended to the floor, but didnt land! It gently bounced off the floor and quickly drifted towards the wall!. not wanting to destroy my week old mavic, i put my hand on the battery and pulled it off.
Cut through a finger nail, sliced 2 fingers and blood blisters and bruising on the other 3 fingers. Oouch.

I think i have a hunch at what went wrong. I first turned it on upstairs. flew it successfully. I landed, and immediately brought if downstairs, which is about 12 feet lower. The downstairs flight was the problematic one. I wonder if the mavic recorded height upstairs and because it though i was underground or something outside of its paramiters, it freaked out? either way, thats what it did

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu