DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Fly away

Called Verizon? Set home lock? Didn't look for the craft, only 800' away? He was too panicked to search? He says "I just wanted to share this"? Says multiple times "total loss". Has flown P3 craft before and never uploaded a .txt flight record, really?
Says he understands English but it's not apparent in his grammar. His flight records disappear? Accuses DJI if erasing them?
What are we suppose to think?

This scores about 9 on the troll scale of probability.

Fly often, be safe

Sure my English is NOT perfect.
But, will not stop me or anyone for asking for HELP right?

All I did was sharing with all readers of what went wrong with my Mavic Pro.
Equipments malfunction? I dont know! Do you?
Until it's happened to you, and I hope not.

Again, Thanks

Last edited:
Wow, this is baffling, in every possible kind of way.

So the drone (didn't RTH), remote (dropped instantly from full to 30%), and app (wiped all of your logs) all malfunctioned at the same time?

C'mon guys... if you think this is a troll, back off and move along. There's no reason why he needs to be interrogated. Even IF he is a troll, by publicly challenging him, it intimidates other users who may be on the fence asking for help. English clearly isn't his native tongue, and if something doesn't make sense or seems implausible, then perhaps it's just his difficulty in explaining it properly. Getting negative and trying to prove why the guy isn't legit does more harm than good. /steps off soapbox.

Trolling is not unusual - and DJI products seem to get more than their fair share of "I did everything correctly and my drone flew away never to be seen again". Not sure why people do this but its not uncommon.

You may say "Well trolling is harmless" - but it damages unfairly DJI's reputation and more importantly scares novice pilots in to thinking drones are expensive high risk items that will fly off randomly even if you do everything correctly.

Also it clogs up these forums with fake issues - making it hard to figure out when their are genuine issues.

Everything he has said so far smells of trolling.

It seems extremely surprising that:

1) Despite doing everything correctly the drone should fly randomly away - the Mavic may have a few issues but the current firmware is pretty good and fly aways uncommon if everything done correctly.

2) The map on the phone which shows where the drone flew has magically disappeared. The first thing I would do if mine flew away is look on the map for its last known location - and head towards it

3) Despite only being 800feet away he was unable to find it.

4) All logs and record of the flight were completely deleted of their own accord.

And the screenshot of his phone - that's just the screen you would see if you just installed the DJI Go app but never actually flown.

If the OP has no logs, no idea where the drone is, no idea what happened at the time - whether they are genuine or a troll - this is something only DJI could help with.

Unless he can tell you where he was at the time and you can then drive over and help him search for the drone - that's the only thing that would work....

Last edited:
. . . and a tracker. Having had 2 DJIs fly away, I now have GPS or Marco Polo trackers on everything I fly.
I'm trying to decide whether I should get a tracker or not. I've been looking at the Marco Polo and the Trackimo. I'll be flying mostly over wooded country. Marco Polo seems limited in range but otherwise good. The trackimo seems like a good system for range but I'm getting unclear info as to the GPS vs 2G vs 3G versions. How good is the $99 GPS version? I'm ok with the $5/mth fee after the first year but don't want to get into a cellular plan.

While this is baffling, let's not assume that the OP is trolling.

It's easier to assume that the multiple simultaneous points of failure (fly away, los of logs, etc.) are due in part to user error. Maybe he panicked and did some resets on the app thinking it would "fix" things, and instead he wiped out the data. Of course he isn't likely to admit it here (maybe doesn't even know he did something to wipe it out).

The OP seems to think everything is in the cloud. It is not.

I find it highly coincidental that simultaneous failures to unrelated software/hardware happened. That said, with thousands of users, it's going to happen to someone, somehow, someday.

The frustration here is the inability of the OP to calmly follow instructions and respond with clear and coherent answers. I've worked in Customer Support for a software company 20+ years ago, and you cannot help someone if they cannot clearly communicate the problem nor follow clear instructions and respond back clearly as well.

Patience is key, or in the case of a public forum, "opting out" of trying to assist instead of fanning any flames.

While this is baffling, let's not assume that the OP is trolling.

It's easier to assume that the multiple simultaneous points of failure (fly away, los of logs, etc.) are due in part to user error. Maybe he panicked and did some resets on the app thinking it would "fix" things, and instead he wiped out the data. Of course he isn't likely to admit it here (maybe doesn't even know he did something to wipe it out).

The OP seems to think everything is in the cloud. It is not.

I find it highly coincidental that simultaneous failures to unrelated software/hardware happened. That said, with thousands of users, it's going to happen to someone, somehow, someday.

The frustration here is the inability of the OP to calmly follow instructions and respond with clear and coherent answers. I've worked in Customer Support for a software company 20+ years ago, and you cannot help someone if they cannot clearly communicate the problem nor follow clear instructions and respond back clearly as well.

Patience is key, or in the case of a public forum, "opting out" of trying to assist instead of fanning any flames.

If the OP is as you say genuine then the OP needs to go to the DJI forums and post there - they have DJI staff on there who will help him.

I've posted as few times on the DJI forums and the staff are generally quite helpful and will do their best to solve his issue.

If the OP is genuine and followed all the steps he said he did then that would suggest a serious issue with the Mavic - or at least his Mavic. A few minor mistakes should not lead to a fly away.

Anyway he has yet to provide a single bit of info that suggests he is genuine - but perhaps you could contact him directly and talk him through how to download the logs off his phone.

Personally I think troll but happy to proved wrong with a log file for all to see.

To anyone reading this who is concerned the Mavic suffers fly aways I would just ignore this whole thread. With the current firmware I see no fly away issues. Not to say the next firmware might not create some but as things stand right now the Mavic works well.

Reactions: LawFlyer
If the OP is as you say genuine then the OP needs to go to the DJI forums and post there - they have DJI staff on there who will help him.

I've posted as few times on the DJI forums and the staff are generally quite helpful and will do their best to solve his issue.

If the OP is genuine and followed all the steps he said he did then that would suggest a serious issue with the Mavic - or at least his Mavic. A few minor mistakes should not lead to a fly away.

Anyway he has yet to provide a single bit of info that suggests he is genuine - but perhaps you could contact him directly and talk him through how to download the logs off his phone.

Personally I think troll but happy to proved wrong with a log file for all to see.

To anyone reading this who is concerned the Mavic suffers fly aways I would just ignore this whole thread. With the current firmware I see no fly away issues. Not to say the next firmware might not create some but as things stand right now the Mavic works well.

I never said he was legitimate. Your points are valid.

This thread is more noise than help. unsubscribing.

So the drone (didn't RTH), remote (dropped instantly from full to 30%), and app (wiped all of your logs) all malfunctioned at the same time?

Hi Pablo, I just want to share my information of what had happened to my Mavic.
Not troll or misleading any information.
There are many drone pilots spend hrs and hrs on this site.
They guided me to locate the log files.
I followed all instructions on this site to locate the flight log files.
App shown empty. My samsung S6 must have issue !! I dont know.
If my information is disturbing/disturbed you, I am sorry.

I am really love the Mavic. will buy another one soon.
Even the software/firmware is solid.
It's expensive toy/equipment. Just super careful.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone mentioned it to you yet and getting helpful information after your Mavic has flown away is bittersweet
But,;

1. I called State Farm Insurance and got the drone covered for any type of loss.....35.00 a year no detuctable

2. Install a TRACKIMO GPS locator. You'll find it every time.....unless it's in the drink.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it to you yet and getting helpful information after your Mavic has flown away is bittersweet
But,;

1. I called State Farm Insurance and got the drone covered for any type of loss.....35.00 a year no detuctable

2. Install a TRACKIMO GPS locator. You'll find it every time.....unless it's in the drink.
Thanks to all drone pilots on this site.
And, thanks for our information.

I think a good outcome here is to sync your flight log data frequently. Its as easy as going into the log section of the app and clicking the cloud icon at the top right.

Reactions: moocao
This sounds like trolling
I'm pretty sure he's not trolling-- I actually experienced a similar problem last week-- I barely got it back to the beach. -- I was flying along the water following a speedboat at 66kmph in FPV (using litchi). I didn't notice the boat had turned, leading me to the far side of an island and I lost signal. As expected the mavic started the RTH procedure rising to 50M... I walked along the beach trying to regain line of sight with the drone and occaisionally got a video feed update. I finally regained control of the drone when my battery was down to 46% and it was now at 130meters in altitude and not moving forward (toward me) at all-- speed 0kmph. I cancelled the RTH and tried to fly it toward me but the screen said there was an obstacle (the drone was atleast 100meters above any obstacle at this point). The drone refused to move forward due to obstacle avoidance so I switched it to Sport mode and then was able to fly it back. I got it down with only 14% battery remaining. -- Have any of you had similar obstacle avoidance glitches where the drone keeps rising to try RTH? I checked the front facing cameras and they looked clean.

At this point, it sure is tempting to disable all obstacle avoidance sensors..

I'm pretty sure he's not trolling-- I actually experienced a similar problem last week-- I barely got it back to the beach. -- I was flying along the water following a speedboat at 66kmph in FPV (using litchi). I didn't notice the boat had turned, leading me to the far side of an island and I lost signal. As expected the mavic started the RTH procedure rising to 50M... I walked along the beach trying to regain line of sight with the drone and occaisionally got a video feed update. I finally regained control of the drone when my battery was down to 46% and it was now at 130meters in altitude and not moving forward (toward me) at all-- speed 0kmph. I cancelled the RTH and tried to fly it toward me but the screen said there was an obstacle (the drone was atleast 100meters above any obstacle at this point). The drone refused to move forward due to obstacle avoidance so I switched it to Sport mode and then was able to fly it back. I got it down with only 14% battery remaining. -- Have any of you had similar obstacle avoidance glitches where the drone keeps rising to try RTH? I checked the front facing cameras and they looked clean.

Check out this incident which is similar. It's a long thread. The summary is that it was an RTH that climbed instead of returning. Probably because it was facing a low sun and the OA thought it was an obstacle.

Reactions: RobP62
I always disable it with Litchi WPT missions. In your situation had you spun the drone 180 degrees and flown backwards you should have been able to defeat it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S