DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Fly away

Greetings all drone pilots,
My Mavic Pro fly away today.
Here is my routine checked prior taking off.
1) 99% battery power, both controller and the drone.
2) Started power
3) calibrated compass.
4) controller reported home location is recorded.
5) lifted off the ground
6) moved the drone 25ft horizontal 25ft vertical
7) set home point.
8) observation of surround area.
5) all clear.
6) climbed up altitude of 100 ft

While Recorded several different setup of video.
Controller report 30% battery power.
Hit return home key.
Drone did not respond accordingly, it increased altitude
flew up 950ft vertical, 400 ft horizontal away from home.
while camera is recorded.
controller reported safe landed at somewhere unknown location.

Received the Mavic on Dec 24th. I bought myself a gift.
Just unbelievable - It's a TOTAL lost.

To all drone pilots. Please have your tel on the drone.
Just in case someone found.

Sorry for the loss of your new Mavic but that advice of putting your phone number on your drone is a stellar idea! I would also suggest your name too! [emoji6]

Thanks for the great suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sorry for the loss of your new Mavic but that advice of putting your phone number on your drone is a stellar idea! I would also suggest your name too! [emoji6]

Thanks for the great suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have on my copters: name, mail, phone number with country code and area code.

It can save you a lot of money.

I wanted to add something here.

I have tried to connect the mavic with DJI GO app. The DJI GO I use for my osmo mobile, it would not connect to the drone in any condition on my android Google Pixel XL or my Apple IPad 2(old version. Not air).

I was only able to connect to the mavic with my android phone through the DJI GO 4 app. That's where my flight logs exsist. In the /DJI/DJI.go.v4/flightRecord path.
NOT the DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord path.

Has anyone been able to fly their mavic with the standard DJI GO app and still populate flight logs?

@Moocau
@msinger

Dear guru singer:
I had this same type of incident 2 days ago. Hit return home with 25% left. Drone 1/3 mile away. Started to go up, but instead of stopping at 162 ft (50m) it went to 590 before I cancelled. I tried to get it to let me fly it back myself but it wouldn't let me. By then battery was too low and worried about getting it over nearby trees so spotted and used an emergency landing spot I found. Luckily with the compass and film of spot I hiked and found it. Return to home always worked for me before and tested out fine since. Any ideas why?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Dear guru singer:
I had this same type of incident 2 days ago. Hit return home with 25% left. Drone 1/3 mile away. Started to go up, but instead of stopping at 162 ft (50m) it went to 590 before I cancelled. I tried to get it to let me fly it back myself but it wouldn't let me. By then battery was too low and worried about getting it over nearby trees so spotted and used an emergency landing spot I found. Luckily with the compass and film of spot I hiked and found it. Return to home always worked for me before and tested out fine since. Any ideas why?

Was your MP facing a low sitting sun on its return path? Was obstacle avoidance turned on? Were you in GPS (vs. Sport) mode? If yes to all three questions, then it's likely that the forward vision system saw the glare of the sun as an obstacle and tried to climb over it. At that point it will climb until it reaches the maximum altitude setting you've defined in your settings. Not the RTH height, but the max altitude. That is set to 120M (400 feet) by default, so I assume you had that changed?

Reactions: moocao
U owned a Phantom 3 or phantom 4 before the mavic? That part of your story is not even consistent. 1 post u say phantom 3 the next u say phantom 4. And why r u so nervous or unable to trouble shoot if u r an experienced pilot. This whole thread is a joke that I fell for. Good one. U got me.

I have both 3, 4 - sold 4 and bought the Mavic.
Not necessary owned 3 and 4, is an experienced drone pilot.
There are lot of things to learn in life .
All, I did, was to share my information.
No, I am not troll.
Dont know why the flight log files are not in the Samsung S6.
That's why I called Verizon to search for questions to be answered.
My S6 might have had issues that I am not aware of.

Will replace the samsung S6.

Last edited:
BTW certain Android devices require a reboot for the latest DJI logs to appear in the GO4 app folder.

Also, if it hasn't been said yet: once your Android device is connected to a computer, you may need to change USB settings to MTP mode. Depending on the Android build, it may be preventing you computer to see folder files.

Reactions: 604Pilot
BTW certain Android devices require a reboot for the latest DJI logs to appear in the GO4 app folder.

Also, if it hasn't been said yet: once your Android device is connected to a computer, you may need to change USB settings to MTP mode. Depending on the Android build, it may be preventing you computer to see folder files.
I am replaced the Samsung S6.

Was your MP facing a low sitting sun on its return path? Was obstacle avoidance turned on? Were you in GPS (vs. Sport) mode? If yes to all three questions, then it's likely that the forward vision system saw the glare of the sun as an obstacle and tried to climb over it. At that point it will climb until it reaches the maximum altitude setting you've defined in your settings. Not the RTH height, but the max altitude. That is set to 120M (400 feet) by default, so I assume you had that changed?

Thanx for replying. My MP would have been facing an early AM sun (about 9 am) so that might apply. Obstacle avoidance was on, so that might apply. I was in GPS mode. So you might have an explanation for why it had trouble. BUT the max altitude was. Set at 120m and the RTH altitude was at 50m which is why I freaked when it went past 162 ft. My interrupting a "programmed" ascent may explain why it was difficult to control (I have seen the instructions not to interrupt RTH ascents) but I still don't know why it kept rising unless it was overriding the max to avoid the sun. Any further insights? And thanx again for the help

Reactions: moocao
The only part of the OP statement that sound strange to me is the Logs having N/A. I say that because I know of plenty of places I could fly a drone and if it crashed 800 FT from me I probably would not retrieve it because going into those areas might be extremely dangerous. Many of you guys live in wide open parts of the USA but in many cities in the USA and abroad you can fly 800ft and go from Beverly hills into a neighborhood that is almost like a mini Aleppo.

Just my 2 cents but I think the OP is just relating what happened, he does not want to go into details and face the Drone police criticism. Maybe his logs did get erased or maybe he erased them. I don't know, I don't care. The fact that he did not want to venture 800 FT means that he felt it was not worth the risk. Thats good enough for me. I don't doubt his story, I just think he has said all he wants to say and people need to leave it at that.

Reactions: erkme73
poor guy, hope DJI recognizes this. I crashed my lil bird on Dec 25 and now my refresh order is lost

Thanx for replying. My MP would have been facing an early AM sun (about 9 am) so that might apply. Obstacle avoidance was on, so that might apply. I was in GPS mode. So you might have an explanation for why it had trouble. BUT the max altitude was. Set at 120m and the RTH altitude was at 50m which is why I freaked when it went past 162 ft. My interrupting a "programmed" ascent may explain why it was difficult to control (I have seen the instructions not to interrupt RTH ascents) but I still don't know why it kept rising unless it was overriding the max to avoid the sun. Any further insights? And thanx again for the help

Not really, but I would suggest that you start a new thread with your comments. This particular one has seen a number of hostile posts which have turned off (unsubscribed) many followers - so you're not getting the exposure you would if it was standing on its own merits.

What I find troubling about your scenario is that the MP climbed above the max alt setting (400'). As far as I understand it, that shouldn't happen. Once obstacle avoidance sees an object, it will attempt to climb over it until it hits the max height. At that point, it should just hover - until the battery hits critical level. I may be way off base, but I think posting this out in the clear will probably get you better minds on the issue.

Reactions: 604Pilot
Not really, but I would suggest that you start a new thread with your comments. This particular one has seen a number of hostile posts which have turned off (unsubscribed) many followers - so you're not getting the exposure you would if it was standing on its own merits.

What I find troubling about your scenario is that the MP climbed above the max alt setting (400'). As far as I understand it, that shouldn't happen. Once obstacle avoidance sees an object, it will attempt to climb over it until it hits the max height. At that point, it should just hover - until the battery hits critical level. I may be way off base, but I think posting this out in the clear will probably get you better minds on the issue.

Thanx for the input. Very kind

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu