DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic PRO in strong wind

Andrejs

Reactions
Here I made 1st test flying Mavic PRO in strong wind (8-9ms and 10-12ms in gusts) while Kitesurfed 2 days ago (30.12.2016)
So it was possible to fly only in sport mode, because in general mode it could fly upwind at all.

I made mistake with white balance (forgot to change it from Interior mode) and got in output blue shots :( I made try to get back colours in post production, so it is best what I could get.

Last edited:
Wow, great shots. Any controllability issues? Looks like you were just sitting on the damp ground surrounded by water, which was pretty much impossible with analog R/C equipment. Speed can be deceptive, how much are you pushing the speed in editing? What altitude for the high shots?

Reactions: Andrejs
Wow, great shots. Any controllability issues? Looks like you were just sitting on the damp ground surrounded by water, which was pretty much impossible with analog R/C equipment. Speed can be deceptive, how much are you pushing the speed in editing? What altitude for the high shots?
1) Yes, I am was just sitting on ground :) But I didn't understand your question about analog R/C equipment ? What do you mean :)
2) I didn't speed up in editing. I was flying in Sport mode all the time with max speed 80kmh.
3) Altitude for High shots 235m :) So I think wind there was even stronger and flight was pretty solid.

I didn't understand your question about analog R/C equipment ?

In general, DJI made a massive leap for low-power long-distance error-free communication links between the controller and the aircraft. Now everyone thinks it's trivial to go anywhere and get crystal-clear hi-def video. I'm amazed at the technological advance here.

If you pay attention to sport quadcopter racing, or flew any non-R/C aircraft, the analog video link is noisy and prone to drop-outs in many situations. Trees attenuate the signal. Moist grass, cars, big flat buildings, standing ponds and ocean waves all reflect radio signals enough that the signal gets mixed and jumbled a bit. They call this multi-path interference. All of this makes transmitting a lot of information over long distances (even 500 meters) pretty difficult. Higher power, special antennas, special government licenses to use that power and other radio bands, etc.

To get a sense of the non-DJI world, imagine setting this up at your camp site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fpv+yagi+antenna&tbm=isch

And here you are just sitting on a wet tidal flat, flying over water, not even realizing how hard that was for DJI to create.

Yes, you are right that I am not realizing in depth about it. Thank you for that info.
P. S. There was flat water if that make any difference? You write about waves =)

Sent from my SM-N910C using MavicPilots mobile app

Here I made 1st test flying Mavic PRO in strong wind (8-9ms and 10-12ms in gusts) while Kitesurfed 2 days ago (30.12.2016)
So it was possible to fly only in sport mode, because in general mode it could fly upwind at all.

I made mistake with white balance (forgot to change it from Interior mode) and got in output blue shots :( I made try to get back colours in post production, so it is best what I could get.

Dude! That is all sweet. The color setting added a nice touch even if a mistake. Your buddies were shredding it up out there and your angles, filming, and editing were grade A. Nice work!

WOW! Looked like a fun day. Nice control in following the action so closely and not getting fouled in the lines. Well done!

WOW! Looked like a fun day. Nice control in following the action so closely and not getting fouled in the lines. Well done!
Thanks. The goal was to fly mainly higher by the wind where kite anyway will not fly. But in some shots I take risk to lower by wind [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N910C using MavicPilots mobile app

My 3rd day with the MP. Winds 14 mph gusting 22 mph. Aside from software advisories of strong winds, I had no problem flying the machine. Video... solid.

Brilliant video one the best sports I have seen

, how did you transport he mavic to the spot you were film from ? did you kite surf there? or use a boat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf