DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro issues

John Gibson

Reactions
Hi, I'm still waiting for my Mavic to be delivered but I am concerned about the number of issues that I have heard about the Mavic on sites like this. Is the phantom 4 pro more stable?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Its like the old saying about how you don't get an "atta boy" when you do something great but hear about everything you have done wrong.

You only read about the problems here but there are so many more people that are out there with NO problems and enjoying their Mavics. I for one like to come on this forum a few times a day. I like to inform myself about problems and resolutions that others are having just in case I may have an issue or possibly I can help someone else out in the future.

I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) but its nice to know I have a support network here that I can turn to if I do.

Just my 2 cents.

What are the main concerns that youve read about? Both the mav and P4P are great, well built and well designed machines. They are both built like tanks. Once you get past the occasional firmware updates, they are both a pleasure to fly and as stable as a rock. Hardware quality keeps improving with each generation, and these are 2 of the best drones DJI has ever released. You wont be sorry with either of them.

What are the main concerns that youve read about? Both the mav and P4P are great, well built and well designed machines. They are both built like tanks. Once you get past the occasional firmware updates, they are both a pleasure to fly and as stable as a rock. Hardware quality keeps improving with each generation, and these are 2 of the best drones DJI has ever released. You wont be sorry with either of them.

Thanks for your prompt replies and putting faith back into the Mavic. The main issues I read about were fly always and camera shake.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

These days, with the most recent firmware update, most flyaways occur because of operator error and not calibrating your compass or some other error youre getting on the ground but ignoring. Flyaways can also occur if you reach critically low battery level and the drone cant come home so it lands itself when it reaches that level. Thats not a flyaway either, just operator error. One guy here, sadly, launched his from the roof a high-rise apartment building in P mode. The prevailing winds must have been stronger than the bird could fly in P Mode so the winds just took it away. Had he switched to sport mode to increase the speed of the Mav, he might have saved it, but who knows. The winds up that high can be unpredictable and very fierce.

I have not seen any instances of camera shake. Im sure they do exist as well as focus problems, but those are few and far between and I have bought, sold and repaired probably 60 Mavs already.

The odds are in your favor you will get a good bird and enjoy many hours of flight time with it. Its an amazing piece of technology. To allay some of your concerns, just make sure that you are protected either by Refresh or a drone insurance policy. That will alleviate alot of the "pucker factor" when youre flying your $1000 machine.

Last edited:
...I have bought, sold and repaired probably 60 Mavs already

I recently crashed my shop's Mavic. It was able to fly and get GPS but the camera was dead, no gimbal movement and no picture. I was able to replace the ribbon cable, which I hoped would fix everything. While the camera now moves again and I get no errors at all, my camera still has a loss of picture. I bought a new video cable and I hope that will fix it but when I inspected the cable on it now, it didn't look broken. I may have missed a tiny broken wire somewhere on it but it looked ok. In your experience, when this happens, is it the video cable or is the entire camera kaput?

I recently crashed my shop's Mavic. It was able to fly and get GPS but the camera was dead, no gimbal movement and no picture. I was able to replace the ribbon cable, which I hoped would fix everything. While the camera now moves again and I get no errors at all, my camera still has a loss of picture. I bought a new video cable and I hope that will fix it but when I inspected the cable on it now, it didn't look broken. I may have missed a tiny broken wire somewhere on it but it looked ok. In your experience, when this happens, is it the video cable or is the entire camera kaput?

Why dont you wait until you get the new video cable installed and then let us know what happens.

Why dont you wait until you get the new video cable installed and then let us know what happens.

Will do. I'm impatient right now as the part is coming from China. I just want to fix the thing and see if that works. I've debated flying it around but without that camera it's really not worth the Atlanta heat and humidity right now. Oh, you're in Duluth so you know the struggle. You're an approved vendor? Got a website?

Will do. I'm impatient right now as the part is coming from China. I just want to fix the thing and see if that works. I've debated flying it around but without that camera it's really not worth the Atlanta heat and humidity right now. Oh, you're in Duluth so you know the struggle. You're an approved vendor? Got a website?

I dont have a website, sorry. I sell direct from MP and eBay.

So the verdict is in: it definitely was a bad video cable that killed my picture. Even though I couldn't initially see any breaks in the original cable, it was there. After replacing it, I looked more closely and there was a tiny wire that got disconnected from the connector. Now, I'm dealing with a crooked/off-center video problem that I hope is only the vibration plate; there was a small bend in it after my crash but I didn't think it would affect it this much. That's a much easier fix than the cables.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000