DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 Pro?

Don't we all! I'm sure (ok, not sure.. but fairly confident) at some point the new tech on the p4p will make it to the mavic, but that could be a year from now for all we know

If image quality is #1 then p4p IMO

Reactions: MavicMo
The P4P certainly has it over the Mavic in the camera department. Don't worry, in 6 months the Mavic Pro Uber will come out with the same camera. :eek:
If I was buying it as a tool to make money it would be the P4P.

Reactions: RFaust
The P4P certainly has it over the Mavic in the camera department. Don't worry, in 6 months the Mavic Pro Uber will come out with the same camera. :eek:
If I was buying it as a tool to make money it would be the P4P.

P4P makes the Mavic look like a toy. The P4P camera is a game changer. Same with all those sensors. Thank you DJI for delaying the release of the Mavic.

Reactions: JonasHess
It was a fairly easy decision for me. If I can only have one, it has to be the Mavic. I'd never take the cumbersome Phantom on a vacation, but I'd take the Mavic in a heartbeat. It's so easy to be spontaneous with the Mavic. It's not a big deal to be heading out of your home in a rush and say, "yeah, I'm going to take it with me just in case!" With the Phantom I'd say, "nah, I'll just leave it at home."

If I had to have better video quality and I only planned on using it to fly around close to home I'd get the P4P. Or, if I was a professional on a tight budget I might go P4P. However, I'm not sure if propeller interference has been address with the P4P. If I was a professional and could afford it, I'd go for the Mavic AND the Inspire 2 so I could have the ultimate in portability and capability. It would be like a photographer having a Sony Rx100 in his pocket and his full size camera in his bag.

I won't ever going to buy Phantoms drone for my personal use ever because carry it around would certainly get in the way of fun, but the same time the Mavic's camera is not as good as I want it to be. With the P4P moved to H265 I got a feeling that soon DJI will upgrade the Mavic and that will be the "perfect" drone for me, so the question that I'm asking my self is do I get the Mavic now or wait for the next one.

Reactions: Kilrah
...last 2 cents on P4P, IMHO, DJI targets Mavic Pro for the casual and on-the-move users, while P4P will pick-up users on a level higher or prosumer.. just a hunch.. now back to Mavic pro...

Reactions: scooot
If I was a professional and could afford it, I'd go for the Mavic AND the Inspire 2 so I could have the ultimate in portability and capability.
Exact, this seems like the best thing. I kept my I1, will still hold on to it and upgrade it a little for the jobs that require it, and for the rest the Mavic's portability makes it a no-brainer since it can pretty much live in my backpack all the time. A better camera is of no use if you're not taking the images in the first place because of the bulk.

I won't ever going to buy Phantoms drone for my personal use ever because carry it around would certainly get in the way of fun, but the same time the Mavic's camera is not as good as I want it to be. With the P4P moved to H265 I got a feeling that soon DJI will upgrade the Mavic and that will be the "perfect" drone for me, so the question that I'm asking my self is do I get the Mavic now or wait for the next one.

LOL. So the Mavic Pro is already out dated prior to even being fully released?

From a marketing standpoint, I'd be surprised if they did this. It seems with Mavic, P4P, and I2, DJI is being very strategic in establishing a differentiated, three tier product lineup targeting the widest range of consumers/price points/intended uses possible.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: ajg_kestrel_PFAW
From a marketing standpoint, I'd be surprised if they did this. It seems with Mavic, P4P, and I2, DJI is being very strategic in establishing a differentiated, three tier product lineup targeting the widest range of consumers/intended uses possible.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Agreed! Bingo. The hamburger, the quarter pounder and the Big Mac.

Reactions: RFaust and maveric
It was a fairly easy decision for me. If I can only have one, it has to be the Mavic. I'd never take the cumbersome Phantom on a vacation, but I'd take the Mavic in a heartbeat. It's so easy to be spontaneous with the Mavic. It's not a big deal to be heading out of your home in a rush and say, "yeah, I'm going to take it with me just in case!" With the Phantom I'd say, "nah, I'll just leave it at home."

If I had to have better video quality and I only planned on using it to fly around close to home I'd get the P4P. Or, if I was a professional on a tight budget I might go P4P. However, I'm not sure if propeller interference has been address with the P4P. If I was a professional and could afford it, I'd go for the Mavic AND the Inspire 2 so I could have the ultimate in portability and capability. It would be like a photographer having a Sony Rx100 in his pocket and his full size camera in his bag.

What is the point of convenience if the video/picture quality is not anywhere near the best it can be?

What is the point of convenience if the video/picture quality is not anywhere near the best it can be?

Well if that's the case, why bother with the crappy sub-par sensor of the P4P when the I2 can shoot raw at 5.2K-4.2gbps? I guess you're willing to sacrifice quality for some "convenience" there, it's a shame that your videos will look like pure crap in comparison. I mean what's the point of the P4P when the image quality is not anywhere near the best it can be?

But in all seriousness if you've ever talked to a photographer, hobby or professional, the phrase "the best camera is the one you have with you" will come up. That's true here. I've lugged phantom to some inconvenient places, I've dealt with paying the extra baggage fee when flying (because it goes in the hard case and my camera gear goes with me in the cabin). Seriously, hiking up a volcano with a phantom, a tablet, batteries, spare props, etc is a ******* pain in the ***, and I know because I did it and about passed out near the top (mind you I was carrying other gear including a camera system). There have been times when it was too impractical to bring along so the opportunity was missed. There are times when the setup would have taken too long to get the shot needed. Its a consumer level drone, just like the phantom is. It still has good IQ, but its ultra portable. Videos taken on the P3P have been used commercially, are they as good as using a hex/octo copter with a few pounds of camrera hanging underneath? no. but they still work.

I sold my phantom for the convenience of the mavic. adding side and rear sensors and upping the iq will not fix the limitations of traveling with a phantom.

The point of convenience is actually getting to use it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya