DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 Pro?

I have been trying to cancel my Mavic order for about a week even before I knew the P4 Pro was coming out and got no response. Finally today they responded and asked me to reconsider my cancellation request and said they have ramped up production. Told them to cancel...will consider P4Pro or maybe wait for the P5 next year.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

LOL. So the Mavic Pro is already out dated prior to even being fully released?

Not really, I just wish that the camera on the Mavic is a tiny bit better.

From a marketing standpoint, I'd be surprised if they did this. It seems with Mavic, P4P, and I2, DJI is being very strategic in establishing a differentiated, three tier product lineup targeting the widest range of consumers/price points/intended uses possible.

Upgrading Mavic camera a little bit wouldn't hurt P4P, they're on a completely different level.

It's quite amusing to see how people are behaving over this. Over on another forum, the Mavic thread has been dropped like a stone by certain major contributors, and they've all flocked to the P4P thread like lemmings. All of a sudden, those same people who were in a frenzy over the Mavic are now saying how rubbish the camera is, and cancelling their M orders! The tarts!
For me, all the reasons that I was flying my Phantom 3A less and less still exist, and the Mavic remains a god send!

Reactions: tgden and Vicrimo
It's quite amusing to see how people are behaving over this. Over on another forum, the Mavic thread has been dropped like a stone by certain major contributors, and they've all flocked to the P4P thread like lemmings. All of a sudden, those same people who were in a frenzy over the Mavic are now saying how rubbish the camera is, and cancelling their M orders! The tarts!
For me, all the reasons that I was flying my Phantom 3A less and less still exist, and the Mavic remains a god send!

Haha, I completely agree. The Mavic is something I will use frequently. I'll take it everywhere with me. My P3A felt like a major hassle to bring with me. It was always a big drama flying it if there were any people about. It was big and noisy. Setting it up was a bit of a ritual. All of these problems pretty much have been fixed by the Mavic. That's a major selling point for me that the P4 Pro just doesn't have.

Not to mention it's pretty much twice the price. People are fickle though, so it's no surprise.

Why this obsession with image quality for a product that was clearly never ever targeted at those who need (or care particularly) about that stray pixel being a tad off colour?
It seems like overnight the camera on the Mavic has become a toy, did they change the hardware between last night and now? No - so its the same camera. You were happy enough yesterday - why order it if you were'nt?

Haha, I completely agree. The Mavic is something I will use frequently. I'll take it everywhere with me. My P3A felt like a major hassle to bring with me. It was always a big drama flying it if there were any people about. It was big and noisy. Setting it up was a bit of a ritual. All of these problems pretty much have been fixed by the Mavic. That's a major selling point for me that the P4 Pro just doesn't have.

Not to mention it's pretty much twice the price. People are fickle though, so it's no surprise.

Exactly! Much as I dearly loved my P3A it was always a major 'event' getting it set up and flying it.

The P4 pro is like a point and shoot camera, the Inspire 2 a DSLR, and the Mavic a Cell Phone Camera. Sure the DSLR takes better pictures, but which one will end up taking more pictures? The Cell Phone of course.

Good analogy. Any photo worth keeping should be taken with a real camera. Cel phone camera quality is pure rubbish.

I have been trying to cancel my Mavic order for about a week even before I knew the P4 Pro was coming out and got no response. Finally today they responded and asked me to reconsider my cancellation request and said they have ramped up production. Told them to cancel...will consider P4Pro or maybe wait for the P5 next year.

Good choice. I expect the distribution channels to be over blown with Mavic inventory now that the P4P is available. My DJI dealer appears to have over ordered Mavics based on cancellations that are coming in. He preorderd a wack of Mavics which he had to pay for in advance. Luckily he took preorders but they are now cancelling. While he waits for his Mavics, DJI is selling direct to consumer. It would not be very nice if he got his Mavic order only once the hoopla died down after DJI satisfied all of the direct to consumer demand. If this is the case, expect some blow out prices on the Mavics. This is looking like a boom bust scenario. Problem is DJI is bringing out too many new models. They should try staggering model releases. This would also ease up pressure on their manufacturing division.

He said P4Ps are due in store very soon.

Problem is DJI is bringing out too many new models.
I think they've been very clever with their model line up. There are now three distinct models for totally different needs. Think Defender, Discovery, Range Rover.

I've owned an Inspire 1, and P3P. I got rid of both to get an Inspire Pro - which I still have - for the photographic quality. Thing is I never use it because it's so a PITA to use - people give me **** everywhere I go. There is nothing spontaneous about it, whatsoever.

I've got a Mavic on order, because the convenience of the thing outweighs the camera benefits of the Inspire Pro. There's such a gulf between them in that regard it's crazy. I suspect I may end up getting a P4P or P5 to replace the Inspire Pro - the Inspire 2 is now WAY out of my justification as a hobbyist/amateur photographer. It's a good move of DJI to cement that as a professional tool.

I took the p3p on holiday to Australia and now think about how many times I WISH i'd got it out when we were travelling around. Nearly all of those situations I am certain I would have got the mavic out.

Question is do I keep the Inspire Pro for now, or swap that or a P4P?! Inspire Pro has always felt like a slightly shambolic offering, not sure why. I'm hoping the P5 might have a bit of zoom on that lovely camera, so might be worth waiting for. Or I might wait for Black Friday to see if anyone is feeling generous.

I think they've been very clever with their model line up. There are now three distinct models for totally different needs. Think Defender, Discovery, Range Rover.

What? You didn't like my McDonald's analogy of hamburger, quarter pounder and big mac?

The drone space is getting very competitive so DJI is doing a full on assault on its competitors.

What? You didn't like my McDonald's analogy of hamburger, quarter pounder and big mac?

The drone space is getting very competitive so DJI is doing a full on assault on its competitors.
actually I did, a lot. however I think the Landrover one is probably more accurate (their resurgence has been in the pipeline for a few years now, finishing up when the new Defender is released next year - feels very similar). Similar things happening with Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro.

I prefer Quarter Pounder to Big Mac, which is where your analogy falls down ;-)

Reactions: E92Vancouver
As of now, I don't care. Which ever dji will supply to me first. Everyone should order both. Which ever comes first is the drone you keep. Return the second one just for laughs.

Reactions: Richard-mavic
It depends on what you want a drone for and what limitations are you willing to live with. My situation is much more simple. I'm buying both.

BUT it depends whats more important to you. With the Mavic you get portability and flexibility. The picture quality may not be as good as the P4P, but is it good enough for what you want to do? Does its smaller size fit your needs better; for example do you hike alot or far and weight and space is a premium? Basically the inverse for the P4P...

With the release of the P4P confirms what I believed and is stated in a few of the above posts; The Phantom line isn't going anywhere. The Phantom line will be their hobbyist AP birds. Where AP capability and functionality at an affordable price is its primary function. The Inspire is the "Pro" level (I use that term loosely), and the Mavic is the "Jack of all Trades"...

So DJI is now releasing the Phantom 4 Pro which looks awesome. I have been waiting for the Mavic. Now this new Phantom 4 Pro has my attention. What should I do? Please help! D-a-m-n you DJI!!! Don't make me buy both!

Reactions: No1much
It depends on what you want a drone for and what limitations are you willing to live with. My situation is much more simple. I'm buying both.

BUT it depends whats more important to you. With the Mavic you get portability and flexibility. The picture quality may not be as good as the P4P, but is it good enough for what you want to do? Does its smaller size fit your needs better; for example do you hike alot or far and weight and space is a premium? Basically the inverse for the P4P...

With the release of the P4P confirms what I believed and is stated in a few of the above posts; The Phantom line isn't going anywhere. The Phantom line will be their hobbyist AP birds. Where AP capability and functionality at an affordable price is its primary function. The Inspire is the "Pro" level (I use that term loosely), and the Mavic is the "Jack of all Trades"...

Yes, a 'Jack of all Trades' with more than acceptable visual quality is exactly why I plumped for the Mavic in the first place. I would also like to have both, but I know full well that one of them would end up gathering dust. Guess which one?

I think a lot of the reasons that some might consider switching to the p4p is that most of us are camera freaks / wannabe photographers/videographers lol. Before I got into drones, i've always been into dslrs and mirrorless cameras. And at the time, there were no viable option for under 2k with a decent camera. We were stuck making the most out of gopro type videos/images (not saying it's bad, but far from a decent large sensor camera). So now with this new offering from DJI, it just made the choice much tougher for me lol.

Seems like they're doing a good job of differentiating the two to me. i.e. if they had put the same camera on the P4P and Mavic then they'd pretty much overlap to the point that most would just buy the Mavic and P4P probably wouldn't do that well. But by keeping the higher quality camera on the P4P you have to pick between super portable or higher quality (or buy both!)

I still think the higher quality camera will eventually make it on to a version of the Mavic, who knows when though

Mavic for super portable
P4P for higher quality amateur / semi-pro'ish shooting where size doesn't matter as much
Inspire 2 for pro shooting

Smart move.

The backlog of Mavic's is really the issue for me.. pretty crappy to release another product before they've at least made significant progress on that

Not a Phantom hater, but it does look a bit dated compared to the Mavic. The mavic2 will have 4k 60fps and extra sensors next year maybe. It would be great to fly a drone with 360 sensor protection, we are only a year or so away from that.

Im still holding on to my order with the mavic, though im tempted to sell it and get the P4 pro due to the camera quality.. Why DJI why.. then i want the inspire 2 too... lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S