DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 Pro?

For me size and weight are not just important, they are critical. The Mavic is a total game changer for me! . It's my first DJI drone and I ordered right after the announcement. (Normally, I'd wait for all the bugs to be sorted out but I knew that I had to order right away) When hiking for 12+ hours to remote locations and carrying a lot of required gear (e.g., climbing gear, food, water, clothing), it's just an option to lug along a P4 size drone. Combine that with the fact that half the time or more, conditions prevent me from flying the drone.
Yes, exactly as I said. For some people, the portability is more important than the imaging quality. Other's feel the opposite. Fortunately, DJI has models that accomodate both groups.

You guys must all be made of money, the 1000 dollar difference forces me to go with the mavic...surprised I'm the only one.
It's a $500 difference, although admittedly still not pocket change.

The Mavic is in a class of it's own. Portability is a huge factor. I have the P3p. It is absolutely a production to use. Every time I take it out the wife ask's ... "moving out?" LOL I still love the bird but I don't take it with me everywhere I go. Mavic, sits on my desk at work with three batteries ready to go. Nobody even notices it.. Looks like a small camera bag. P3.... basically needs a full size pelican case. I just see them as being for different purposes. If I could only have one it would be the Mavic. That said I will likely upgrade to the P4p or P5 when the novelty of the Mavic wears off.

As they say with any camera, the best one is the one that you have with you all the time. Same goes for camera drones.

Mavic Pro all the way for me. I will bring it with me everywhere I go... just because I can, and it'll easy to do so. Phantom, not so much. Most Phantom cases technically exceed the size limitations of airline carry-on luggage, so it's no so ideal with travel either.

No doubt the new Phantom 4 Pro is an amazing drone with a higher quality camera than the Mavic's. But I consider the Phantom platform as a "stay-at-home" drone or the one you use for specific shoots or jobs where quality is of a higher priority than portability. And that is why I'm skipping on the Phantom 4 Pro and keeping my Mavic Pro order, while at the same time pre-ordering the new Inspire 2, which will be an even more capable and smoother flying camera platform than the P4P for those specific no-compromise shoots.

Obviously were choosing portability over quality. Portability for me and it's a **** hard call BUT something to add to the mix.....

The phantoms with that globally recognisable white 'x' shape and camera hanging underneath are synonymous with the word 'drone' and all the negative press that drones have received over the years. The mavic (in my opinion) doesn't. It looks like a cool toy. A radio control toy that shouldn't give any more raised eyebrows than an rc fixed wing or helicopter. That's a factor that weighed heavily in my decision.
Just my pennies worth

Reactions: kmaluo
I don't understand... Do DJI teams talk to each other??? It would have been great to make the props on the P4Pro folderable like the Mavics and their much larger s1000 rigs. Folding props would make launching quicker and prevent less injuries as they are collapsible on impact. I looked at the motor designs on both P4 and Mavics and they are somewhat similar.
Yup, simple physics of the propellers dictate that a P4P will cause much more damage to itself and others vs the Mavic.

Yup, simple physics of the propellers dictate that a P4P will cause much more damage to itself and others vs the Mavic.
Then I guess I (or one of us) doesn't understand simple physics. Even though the Mavic blades are collapsible when stopped they must be rigid in the direction of rotation. If they strike something while in operation they should be just as rigid as a fixed rotor.

Then I guess I (or one of us) doesn't understand simple physics. Even though the Mavic blades are collapsible when stopped they must be rigid in the direction of rotation. If they strike something while in operation they should be just as rigid as a fixed rotor.
I test it later.
If I respond in jibberish in the next few hours, then I'm typing with my toes and nose.

A baseball player is swinging a bat 25mph at the tip. Do you want to be hit with a rigid wooden bat, or a plastic bat that has a hinge by the handle?

A baseball player is swinging a bat 25mph at the tip. Do you want to be hit with a rigid wooden bat, or a plastic bat that has a hinge by the handle?
You're missing the point. In the case of the Mavic the blade is hinged in one direction only. In the flight direction it is rigid, as it has to be of course.

You're missing the point. In the case of the Mavic the blade is hinged in one direction only. In the flight direction it is rigid, as it has to be of course.
The blades swing freely in both directions. The speed of the motors easily keep the blades fully extended in flight.

If whatever centrifugal force generated is sufficient to keep the blades rigid in flight then I don't want to hit anything with them, maybe just me.

If whatever centrifugal force generated is sufficient to keep the blades rigid in flight then I don't want to hit anything with them, maybe just me.
Lol. Of course, but like I stated, damage to the Mavic and surroundings will be less than a P4P.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke