DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 Pro?

Here is video of a folding prop breaking. This prop is a lot more robust than the one that comes on a Mavic. I have never seen a solid prop break in flight. But common on hinged props.

Do winged planes (I assume) use folding props?? Nice landing though.. I don't know what the prop size in the vid was, but maybe they weighed a bit and wasn't designed for that motors RPM. The props on the Mavic are super light compared to my triblade folding prop. Weight of the prop is critical because the higher rpms = higher centrifugal force and the more they weigh, the more chance of failure.

I think DJI knows a little about folding props. They've had it on the S series multirotors back in 2012 on their S800's. The props wont shatter on impact, they will just bend back until the motors stop.

Reactions: kmaluo
Do winged planes (I assume) use folding props?? Nice landing though.. I don't know what the prop size in the vid was, but maybe they weighed a bit and wasn't designed for that motors RPM. The props on the Mavic are super light compared to my triblade folding prop. Weight of the prop is critical because the higher rpms = higher centrifugal force and the more they weigh, the more chance of failure.

I think DJI knows a little about folding props. They've had it on the S series multirotors back in 2012 on their S800's. The props wont shatter on impact, they will just bend back until the motors stop.

Folding props are used on gliders. They fold back when gliding to reduce drag. You can see the folding action in this video at the 55 second mark. Agreed DJI knows about prop engineering.

It was a fairly easy decision for me. If I can only have one, it has to be the Mavic. I'd never take the cumbersome Phantom on a vacation, but I'd take the Mavic in a heartbeat. It's so easy to be spontaneous with the Mavic. It's not a big deal to be heading out of your home in a rush and say, "yeah, I'm going to take it with me just in case!" With the Phantom I'd say, "nah, I'll just leave it at home."

If I had to have better video quality and I only planned on using it to fly around close to home I'd get the P4P. Or, if I was a professional on a tight budget I might go P4P. However, I'm not sure if propeller interference has been address with the P4P. If I was a professional and could afford it, I'd go for the Mavic AND the Inspire 2 so I could have the ultimate in portability and capability. It would be like a photographer having a Sony Rx100 in his pocket and his full size camera in his bag.
The Phantom machines are NOT professional!
They are toys. Personally, I would never buy one.
I have the Mavic on order to complement my Inspire 1.
I think this is the way to go.

Not really, I just wish that the camera on the Mavic is a tiny bit better.

Upgrading Mavic camera a little bit wouldn't hurt P4P, they're on a completely different level.
The Phantom is still a consumer drone!
If you want pro, get the Inspire!

Your cellphone is likely to be a potato. My mobile takes excellent pictures which are on a par with my Canon DSLR.
Under ideal lighting (which is a narrow window available about 20% of the time), the tiny sensor on a cellphone can do pretty well. In general, as a photographic tool, a cell phone camera's only good point is that you're much more likely to have it with you.

For the average person cell phone cameras really have gotten to be quite good. It's all relative. Of course they aren't DSLR's, but I don't particularly like hauling one of those around with me all day every day.

Reactions: kmaluo
Well I was all set on the Phantom 4 Pro but after running my own test I've cooled on it a bit to the point where I might be able to wait for the Phantom 5 or Mavic 2 (though probably not).
Not fully comprehensive I realise but if the P4P does use the same sensor as the Sony RX100 IV/V then while I'm sure photos will be noticeably better, the video may only get a slight bump in perceived quality (yes I'm aware the RX100 doesn't have 100 mb/s).
All the extra features are awesome of course but I'm taking my Mavic to a lot more places than I ever took my Phantom, which is even more places than I took my Inspire.
I'm just not sure I can go back to carrying that huge backpack with me everywhere (I'm talking about the Phantom 4 backpack, although I used to take the Inspire on 6km hikes including scaling a rock wall with it).

For the average person cell phone cameras really have gotten to be quite good. It's all relative. Of course they aren't DSLR's, but I don't particularly like hauling one of those around with me all day every day.

As an avid photographer, I agree any DSLR will outperform any smartphone of the same year, and probably even handicapping by two or three years. And that's not even going into raw sensor data. However, as they say, "the best camera is the one that you have with you."

No way a cellphone is going to be as good as a DSLR of the same year. If it is you really don't know what you are doing ! Or you have the worst piece of glass you could find.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

It's funny that a year or so ago we would be drooling over the camera quality from the Mavic. What you have to remember is that your average consumer will never be able to tell the difference between the p4p and Mavic pro. So the Mavic is still a viable commercial use (not cinematography though) platform. Unless you are making pro movies you still have a cutting edge piece of equipment with a cutting edge camera. If you are making films you are moving up to the inspire anyway. The only reasoning I see for spending the extra cash on the p4p is the extra sensors and higher mp stills

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It's funny that a year or so ago we would be drooling over the camera quality from the Mavic. What you have to remember is that your average consumer will never be able to tell the difference between the p4p and Mavic pro. So the Mavic is still a viable commercial use (not cinematography though) platform. Unless you are making pro movies you still have a cutting edge piece of equipment with a cutting edge camera. If you are making films you are moving up to the inspire anyway. The only reasoning I see for spending the extra cash on the p4p is the extra sensors and higher mp stills

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I saw a comparison. The camera is better and the video comes out better but you are right hard to tell the difference.

So DJI is now releasing the Phantom 4 Pro which looks awesome. I have been waiting for the Mavic. Now this new Phantom 4 Pro has my attention. What should I do? Please help! D-a-m-n you DJI!!! Don't make me buy both!

Been there.. my condoleances..:)

And finally I canceled the Mavic after 6 weeks of waiting.. and regret it ...and not...
Point is.. If you have to spent wisely you really have to ask yourself what you are going to do with it..
I am a multimedia guy who hopes to extend his work environment.. for that I need to show good quality stuff to a potential customer.
And yes I want to take it with me on a holiday and go places to film cool stuff...
I really watched all the youtube material and hang on to this guy who owned a phantom 3 and 4 for some times and stated that it really isn't THAT much of a hassle to take it with you.. I even found a decent size p4 backpack for 53 euro's.
32351480636.html

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mavic and it's super convenient and cool. But for useable quality 2.7 K seems to be working best.. there are some moirre issues and well 60 frames 4K is just twice as much as 30..
I think they're both awesome drones and the Mavic looks the coolest.. But I can only justify this investment if there is a chance to get something out of it..
So I tell myself the Mavic is for rich kids (men) and it's excellent for youtube and facebook.. And the P4P is for the wanna be pro's like me who can't afford a Inspire 2 or better... But there certainly is a notable difference in the footage.. just youtube around on this..

So.. what's your game? :) succes with making your choice..it s**ks :p

Last edited:
My Mavic is fine.. after reviewing some of the video from the P4p I will just wait. I expected a huge jump in quality from the P4 just not so in my opinion.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke