DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro piloting from indoor through a glass window is it possible?

Reactions
Hello to everybody, Any expertize in piloting drone can reply to my question?

Can I pilot Mavic and take off mavic from my balcony, from inside looking and piloting through a closed big glass window without interference?
168d63b57c6691afb0d3e798d80c9174.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Sure. But your risk of bad things happening goes up exponentially. People fly from cars all the time. But just keep in mind of your line of sight angles for signal. And coming back and landing may be harder then you think. Saw a video of a guy doing this. Ended up ramming it up against the building trying to get it back. Just be safe and don't endanger other people or property.

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: EVOLUTIONMavic
Dear Aeroworks, thank you for your reply, so it means no problem with RC signal? Take off and landing is from my balcony near the window. Any issues with distance?

It depends on the structure of the building, glass does not attenuate the signal much at all, steel frames or insulation board might be more of an issue but it will still work within line of sight and beyond.
Set it down to start a reasonable distance away from obstacles and make sure it sets Home obviously as the risk of losing signal and auto RTH are higher.

Can I pilot Mavic and take off mavic from my balcony, from inside looking and piloting through a closed big glass window without interference?

I would make sure Mavic is on GPS mode before taking off.
Take extra care with RTH to make sure you don't have structure above home point.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It depends on the structure of the building, glass does not attenuate the signal much at all, steel frames or insulation board might be more of an issue but it will still work within line of sight and beyond.
Set it down to start a reasonable distance away from obstacles and make sure it sets Home obviously as the risk of losing signal and auto RTH are higher.

Thank you for your comment, I'll follow your instruction

Edit: I first thought you wanted to fly THROUGH the window. But you just want to stay inside while piloting outside.

All I can say is for you to be careful about overhanging roofs and small passages. This is how ATTI vs GPS can get confused. If you have no GPS lock, then it starts getting GPS signal, it can really confuse the Mavic.

Edit: I first thought you wanted to fly THROUGH the window. But you just want to stay inside while piloting outside.

All I can say is for you to be careful about overhanging roofs and small passages. This is how ATTI vs GPS can get confused. If you have no GPS lock, then it starts getting GPS signal, it can really confuse the Mavic.

As I wrote, drone is taking off and land from my Open Balcony, I pilot from inside, 5 meters from landing place, and piloting with closed windows...

I fly from inside my house, mainly because its cold out and its much nicer to be flying from the comfort of my nice warm house :). No Reception issues for me, though I don't fly a great distance.

I'll be anxiously awaiting these results. There at least 20 posts here an on other DJI forums of people piloting from balcony's and ending in failure. For starters the RTH only knows lat/long, not what floor you flat is on, thus if you activate RTH or if the drone activates RTH it will land elsewhere below your location. Please post video when you attempt this.

The glass and surround metal framing/structure will cause some signal interference (degradation), but not completely. If you're flying purely with LOS, especially VLOS, you should be able to fly/control your Mavic at a relatively close distance. My concern would be flying above your roof line or beyond the sides of your walls from your location within your house. The more obstacles you have between your controller and Mavic the more your signal will degrade.

I can't tell from your picture, but if you have a large open space beyond your balcony/house with no one around, I would give it a try, with extreme caution. Pay attention to your signal strength on your app/controller.

The glass and surround metal framing/structure will cause some signal interference (degradation), but not completely. If you're flying purely with LOS, especially VLOS, you should be able to fly/control your Mavic at a relatively close distance. My concern would be flying above your roof line or beyond the sides of your walls from your location within your house. The more obstacles you have between your controller and Mavic the more your signal will degrade.

I can't tell from your picture, but if you have a large open space beyond your balcony/house with no one around, I would give it a try, with extreme caution. Pay attention to your signal strength on your app/controller.
Thank you for your suggestion

I set my mavic up on a little blanket on my back porch, go inside, and fly from my living room.
So far, due to weather and other circumstances, that's the only way I have flown it. It works great, but my range seems limited to me. I've never been more than a mile and a half or so. Most probably this is because I live in the woods, down in a valley. No complaints.

I'm very careful to make sure I'm in GPS mode before I take off, and that the RTH has been updated. I've had one RTH when I lost signal, and I consider setting this up properly an absolute necessity. Get the altitude right. If the RTH hight is too low, the mavic may encounter an obstacle. If it's too high, it may have to fight winds that are too strong for it. Make sure it's gonna do what you want it to do if it encounters an obstacle.

Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada