DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Prop Hub Balancing

Bartman

Reactions
I’m learning as much as I can about the Mavic Pro systems right now and getting my equipment in order while waiting for better flying weather. I appreciate what I have learned from you all on this forum!

I put my props on a Du-Bro balancer just to see what happens. Spun them up first using my Dremel (similar to what Peter Homer does on YouTube). All the props fall to horizontal, meaning the blades are balanced. But I cannot get any of my props to hold in any given position on the balancer, meaning the hubs are not balanced (at least according to traditional prop balancing technique). It takes a lot of material to balance the hubs so that the props will hold in any position I put them on the balancer… I mean a lot more drops of CA than seems reasonable or I would think should be necessary. I even took one of the locking rings off a motor to add to a prop while balancing, thinking that the position of three locking pins needed to be cancelled out by the ring, but no change in imbalance.

I know a lot of people say not to worry about Mavic prop balancing, but I am just curious about this and wonder what I am missing. Does traditional hub balancing not apply to folding props? Haven’t had this issue when balancing my heli blades mounted together in the head. I can’t believe the Mavic hubs would be that far out of balance. My Mavic does not appear to exhibit vibration at any motor RPM, so I know this is all academic. Any feedback or thoughts about this will be appreciated while I wait to fly. Thanks!

I had a set of 15" KDE and Zeal carbon folding props on my Spyder 700 although I only ever managed to statically balanced them (by weighing each blade), see from post #47 of the following thread. I compared those to a set of T Motor one piece carbon props and they both produced more vibrations that the one piece props despite the KDEs costing me £400.00. Of the 8 T motor props I had, 3 of them were significantly out of hub balance and I had to add loads of epoxy to get them anywhere near hub balanced (see photo). I asked T Motor if hub balance was important and was told that it wasn't which to this day I don't believe.. Personally I would love to be able to balance the Mavic props just because I'm like that but I honestly don't think it's so important with this size prop..

Product Review ** DJI 1552 Folding Propeller

capture.jpg

Great information! You're right, it takes at least that much material to balance my Mavic hubs. I agree that imbalance likely doesn't have major impact at this size, but I'm like you. It seems unnatural not try to balance as much as is practically possible.

I know this goes completely against portability, but I wonder if there is a market for non-folding Mavic props. Just interested in smoothest performance for best video quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada