DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro review from Philip Bloom

yeah keeps props and legs from getting stuck on anything and potentially breaking

His colours seem pretty weird on Mavic and P4 footage, almost certain I could have made it look better in premiere!
The cine-like he recommends appears rather similar to native white balance and protune from gopro.

I'd set white balance manually maybe 5600 not use their presets like he did.

His colours seem pretty weird on Mavic and P4 footage, almost certain I could have made it look better in premiere!
The cine-like he recommends appears rather similar to native white balance and protune from gopro.

I'd set white balance manually maybe 5600 not use their presets like he did.
Or just leave it in auto, I never seen wiht balance change in the middle of the shot, so auto should work.

one of the more honest reviews, both in how he feels about it as well as how he doesnt pretend to know everything about it

Reactions: botasky
one of the more honest reviews, both in how he feels about it as well as how he doesnt pretend to know everything about it
While everyone saying that the Mavic's camera is very good, I'm glad that he honestly said that wasn't very good and log profile is useless.

While everyone saying that the Mavic's camera is very good, I'm glad that he honestly said that wasn't very good and log profile is useless.

I dont agree with the "useless" part, however, personally.

And considering he said he still needed to play with the video modes and settings more, I will wait on a follow up.

I'd rather he (and every other) reviewer to take more time to really get into knowing deeply the object of the review, and only then letting it out to the world. Otherwise it's "just another opinion", not a review but rather a "first-impressions" which is something else entirely. And being honest is the minimum, I'd expect more with a Philip Bloom stamp but maybe I'm wrong. I almost fell asleep with his musings about battery charging in the car LOL.

Ok, DJI didn't grant these people a lot of time with the new drone and that doesn't help. But I've seen a ton of rushed "reviews" - many had to post updates and retractions - and only a few done with criteria and objectivity that are truly informative. Again, I concede it was an incredibly smart move from a PR and marketing standpoint. Everyone and his dog is so eager about information and news on the Mavic that anything goes :p

I also liked the review, But I agree..... The video (image/colors) does not look good on the Mavic or the P4. So it is something that Philip has in his settings.

I'd rather he (and every other) reviewer to take more time to really get into knowing deeply the object of the review, and only then letting it out to the world. Otherwise it's "just another opinion", not a review but rather a "first-impressions" which is something else entirely. And being honest is the minimum, I'd expect more with a Philip Bloom stamp but maybe I'm wrong. I almost fell asleep with his musings about battery charging in the car LOL.

I too expected more from Philip Bloom, but I guess this is what we're going to get with this short amount of time, his full review take very long to produce. At least we get more in depth information about the camera because other reviews i see so far are someone who know next to nothing about camera saying "wow 4k! Very good".

Reactions: mrmcqueen
Something to bear in mind regarding the video, particularly the colours, is that he's flying in the UK. At this time of year, decent light is hard to come by. It's very different from the US. Yes, he could bring it up in post to a certain extent, but then that's a demonstration of his editing/grading skills, not the camera.

I'd rather he (and every other) reviewer to take more time to really get into knowing deeply the object of the review, and only then letting it out to the world. Otherwise it's "just another opinion", not a review but rather a "first-impressions" which is something else entirely.

Well you're forgetting that he's not doing this review just because he feels like it. If he has a Mavic in his hands, it's because he was asked (or paid) by DJI to review it. Clearly DJI wanted all these reviews to come out before the Mavic actually does, so it was most likely in an agreement of some type between DJI and those people who were selected to receive an advanced unit to promote...I'm sorry, I meant to "review". ;)

At this stage of the game, you are not going to see a 100% honest review. That will only come from the individuals who are patiently waiting to get theirs. That's when the real reviews will start happening.

I feel like knowing that the portrait mode would be useful in panoramas would be something obvious.

Maybe if taking stills is your thing, but I don't recall him even referring to photos in that review so he was probably only looking at it from a videography perspective.

Well you're forgetting that he's not doing this review just because he feels like it. If he has a Mavic in his hands, it's because he was asked (or paid) by DJI to review it. Clearly DJI wanted all these reviews to come out before the Mavic actually does, so it was most likely in an agreement of some type between DJI and those people who were selected to receive an advanced unit to promote...I'm sorry, I meant to "review". ;)

At this stage of the game, you are not going to see a 100% honest review. That will only come from the individuals who are patiently waiting to get theirs. That's when the real reviews will start happening.

I know that and I´m not questioning his reasons. I also won´t speculate if he´s being paid by DJI, I think he´s not but that´s just my opinion (based on my experience as tech reviewer/editor of bike magazines since ´94). I´m just saying that most of these "reviews" are not really reviews as it would imply a deeper, more carefull inspection of the Mavic, which is quite rare at this point.

I totally understand timing is very important in this blogging/vlogging business, in fact for every news feed business, and that´s why everyone rushes to be ahead of the game. As for honesty, IMO Bloom´s "review" seem quite honest, just not deep or structured as I´d expect a true review to be - especially from him.

But I´m being picky I guess, it´s just a matter of labeling and I don´t want to hijack the thread or make a big deal out of this.

;)

Last edited:
I think he lost me at the very beginning when he said.. 4K was no good at 60mbps. I think that is a relative statement. No 4K at 60 mbps is not good when compared to a GH4. I was looking for him to compare it to other drones which are all shooting with the same compression.

I think he lost me at the very beginning when he said.. 4K was no good at 60mbps. [...]

To be fair he does point out instances of grass and foliage overwhelming the codec a bit...his viewpoint is that of a mid-to-high-end cinematographer. A GH4 is barely scraping by in that context. Anyway I don't know that I'd go as far as "no good" but am inclined to agree that higher bit rate would have been nice. I was hoping to see 90

...also I give the guy a bit of credit for spending time with the gear he reviews, and thus pointing out things he's found relevant to real world, purpose-oriented use, rather than spouting off the same specs we all know because google.

Last edited:
He is speaking in terms of the cam he used whee he states it shoots 100 Mbps .. Gh4 shoots 100 Mbps. Which incidentally happens to be what is on the inspire. I'm not arguing that he isn't correct. I. Arguing that almost every drone in this class shoots 4K at 60. He's a smart guy he knows this... so why not shoot it and compare apples to apples. Like I said.. I watched some of the video and turned him off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007