DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro tilted horizons questions

curso88

Reactions
Hello

I have received my Mavic. I have done all the calibrations, correct calibration in full level surface IMU, calibration of compas, and calibration of GIMBAL AUTO CALIBRATION in level surface, but to achieve a perfect horizon, I must set the value -0.4 in the setting: ADJUST GIMBAL ROLL after the autocalibration of the Gimbal. I have the last firmware and the last DJI GO 4 APP.

My question is if this is acceptable and normal or if I have a faulty unit.

Thanks in advance

ROLL IN 0.0
095168f6b17023eed5093ef28c3269f5.jpg

ROLL IN -0.4 (Perfect horizon)
bbb9c801ae924dfe13d3eaca3e9d071c.jpg

mine is -2.5 to level the horizon. My gimbal is wonky and won't calibrate so mine may be abnormally high, but it stays level unless I spin too fast, then it takes a second to level back out.

Reactions: curso88
Set it at -.4 and see if it holds level over multiple flights. No camera is perfect, and I have seen very few that can be set at 0.

If it starts getting past -2.00 then something is bent or broken.

This is my test in roll in 0.0 and -0.4 Seems to be correct, The difference is minimal, but I would like to know your opinion. I do not know if I'm obsessed with perfection...

Roll 0.0
a581e15c22ef1ecbed8146289f64c6e7.jpg

Roll -0.4
dd53def2bb3a15f38a843b234398d08c.jpg

Test in vídeo:

Last edited:
I think it's ok to be obsessed with perfection, that's why we spend $1000 on higher end consumer drones instead of $60 Airhogs. I wish DJI shared the same thought process.

I always do a gimbal autocalibration before each flight, and then if the horizon is off during the flight, reset it to level. I used to have to do this every time with a P3P I had, never seemed to want to be level on it's own. I often keep the gimbal roll wiindow open on DJI Go just in case the roll doesnt respond.

I think it's ok to be obsessed with perfection, that's why we spend $1000 on higher end consumer drones instead of $60 Airhogs. I wish DJI shared the same thought process.

I always do a gimbal autocalibration before each flight, and then if the horizon is off during the flight, reset it to level. I used to have to do this every time with a P3P I had, never seemed to want to be level on it's own. I often keep the gimbal roll wiindow open on DJI Go just in case the roll doesnt respond.

I am outraged at this point with DJI. I have had several units, Phantom 2, Phantom 3, Phantom 4, Inspire 1 and Mavic. I've always had problems with DJI gimbals. I am very perfectionist and I like to be completely satisfied with my purchases of more than 1000 dollars.
The question is: Is the "Adjust Gimbal Roll" the option to correct normal margins of error of gimbal manufacture?

I know that users with the Roll at 0.0, get a perfect horizon, but other users have to make corrections manually. In my case, when I make the correction at -0.4, this correction is recorded forever and I do not need to modify it again in each flight. But my main concern is this:
A gimbal with the corrected roll, has a behavior similar to a gimbal that has not needed correction?

In my humble opinion DJI should improve the problem of their gimbal throughout its catalog. In my opinion DJI believes that these details would not matter to the conmon consumer. But I'm very perfectionist. I think DJI is not using quality accelerometers in the manufacture and design of their IMUs. For example, other brands of drones like Yuneec have the option to calibrate the accelerometers, DJI no.

Other question:

Have the Mavic gimbal a independent IMU? DJI does not respond

The DJI after sales service is not well formed and leaves much to be desired. For questions like this, they never have an answer. In the DJI after sales support or thechnical support everything is cordiality, but a very poor efficiency. I learn more in these forums than by asking the official DJI technicians.

Having been a DJI customer for over 4 years, in my humble opinion DJI has poor or zero quality control on many of their consumer products. First it launches the product to the market, then expects to receive complaints to solve them. My personal impression is that I am a constant "beta tester" by obligation, not a satisfied consumer.

I always find a defect, it gives me the impression that I am playing the lottery when I buy a product of more than 1000 dollars!!!

My current Mavic is the fourth replacement !!! is incredible

Last edited:
I am outraged at this point with DJI. I have had several units, Phantom 2, Phantom 3, Phantom 4, Inspire 1 and Mavic. I've always had problems with DJI gimbals. I am very perfectionist and I like to be completely satisfied with my purchases of more than 1000 dollars.
The question is: Is the "Adjust Gimbal Roll" the option to correct normal margins of error of gimbal manufacture?

I know that users with the Roll at 0.0, get a perfect horizon, but other users have to make corrections manually. In my case, when I make the correction at -0.4, this correction is recorded forever and I do not need to modify it again in each flight. But my main concern is this:
A gimbal with the corrected roll, has a behavior similar to a gimbal that has not needed correction?

In my humble opinion DJI should improve the problem of their gimbal throughout its catalog. In my opinion DJI believes that these details would not matter to the conmon consumer. But I'm very perfectionist. I think DJI is not using quality accelerometers in the manufacture and design of their IMUs. For example, other brands of drones like Yuneec have the option to calibrate the accelerometers, DJI no.

Other question:

Have the Mavic gimbal a independent IMU? DJI does not respond

The DJI after sales service is not well formed and leaves much to be desired. For questions like this, they never have an answer. In the DJI after sales support or thechnical support everything is cordiality, but a very poor efficiency. I learn more in these forums than by asking the official DJI technicians.

Having been a DJI customer for over 4 years, in my humble opinion DJI has poor or zero quality control on many of their consumer products. First it launches the product to the market, then expects to receive complaints to solve them. My personal impression is that I am a constant "beta tester" by obligation, not a satisfied consumer.

I always find a defect, it gives me the impression that I am playing the lottery when I buy a product of more than 1000 dollars!!!

My current Mavic is the fourth replacement !!! is incredible
I see you have been a DJI customer for a very long time! If you know about their products and service, why are you so outraged, and continue to support them? Just curious because I think it if you already know what you are buying into, there is little room for complaining. It would be great for them to improve their service for sure!

I see you have been a DJI customer for a very long time! If you know about their products and service, why are you so outraged, and continue to support them? Just curious because I think it if you already know what you are buying into, there is little room for complaining. It would be great for them to improve their service for sure!
good question! I also do it ... I think DJI is currently the best brand of drones in the world, but not having a real competitor makes them make many mistakes. The weak point if DJI is the bad attention it gives to the quality control of its factories. It is inadmissible to create an almost perfect product in the most complicated, and make mistakes in the easiest, not correcting little engineering errors, other brands making worse drones do not incorporate the same error for so long. DJI does not know or do not want their consumer gimbals to work properly ??? The horizon problem is present in DJI drones since the time of Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse H3-2D. I just do not get it

Poor control quality in the gimbals?
Poor quality MEMS accelerometers?

Can someone explain it to me? :-(

Last edited:
This is my first DJI drone, although I have had some DJI components in other drones I have owned. I am constantly amazed with the level of perfection some have come to expect from emerging technology.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that, when you spend $1000, on something, you want it to just work. But compared to equipment I have used in the past, this thing is light years ahead of any third party gimbal I have used before.

Perhaps we are expecting too much from a consumer level product at this price? If I can calibrate it to reasonable specifications and get good product 99% of the time I'm not going to complain too much.

That's just me and others are certainly entitled to their own level of expectation.

This is my first DJI drone, although I have had some DJI components in other drones I have owned. I am constantly amazed with the level of perfection some have come to expect from emerging technology.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that, when you spend $1000, on something, you want it to just work. But compared to equipment I have used in the past, this thing is light years ahead of any third party gimbal I have used before.

Perhaps we are expecting too much from a consumer level product at this price? If I can calibrate it to reasonable specifications and get good product 99% of the time I'm not going to complain too much.

That's just me and others are certainly entitled to their own level of expectation.
Hi, thanks for your comment and opinion. Am I obsessed with perfection or My mavic works correctly? Please, watch the video with which I started this post and give me your opinion. Does my Mavic work correctly or am I obsessing?

Thanks in advance

Hi, thanks for your comment and opinion. Am I obsessed with perfection or My mavic works correctly? Please, watch the video with which I started this post and give me your opinion. Does my Mavic work correctly or am I obsessing?

Thanks in advance
I think you are obsessed.....that is not a bad thing. Your gimbal adjustment is great. The roll adjustment is working as it is designed to do. I too obsess a lot and this does not bother me at all. I hope you can accept that your roll adjustment feature is working excellently! The gimbal was built with this adjustment in mind!

I think you are obsessed.....that is not a bad thing. Your gimbal adjustment is great. The roll adjustment is working as it is designed to do. I too obsess a lot and this does not bother me at all. I hope you can accept that your roll adjustment feature is working excellently! The gimbal was built with this adjustment in mind!
Thank you very much for your comment. I am a perfectionist and this prevents me from enjoying this fantastic drone. But I would like to have a perfect horizon in roll 0.0

I think this will never be perfect... why??
The mavic is using rubber bands as dampeners. The dampeners are the same all round and may loose shape over time. You need to also remember that the camera gimbal is not symmetrical which means it will be heavier to one side. This maybe why many (including mine) show a -0.04 when gimbal is recalibrated on a levelled surface.

I think this will never be perfect... why??
The mavic is using rubber bands as dampeners. The dampeners are the same all round and may loose shape over time. You need to also remember that the camera gimbal is not symmetrical which means it will be heavier to one side. This maybe why many (including mine) show a -0.04 when gimbal is recalibrated on a levelled surface.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. You manual Roll adjustment is in -0.4 (you has put -0.04) same as mine? With this correction your Mavic works well? No problems?

Thanks in advance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent