DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Wi-Fi 5G issue

alexcannas

Reactions
Hello forum!!

I just got my new Mavic Pro Fly more bundle this weekend and have been playing with it to get to know it. Really excited about it. I updated to the latest firmware 1.03.0500, before doing anything else.

There is an issue I came across and could not resolve: using WiFi to control the drone. To cut to the chase, Wi-Fi works fine in 2.4GHz, but cannot see an SSID to connect to if I switch the settings in DGI Go ap to either 5G or Dual. I have tried to detect a signal using my phone (nexus 5), my tables (Galaxy Tab S2) and my PC (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro). The phone and tablet see nothing in 5G mode. The PC does seem to pickup a very faint signal (sometimes).

The only way to get connection back to the Mavic, it to reset the Wi-Fi by holding the linking button for 5s which puts the mode back to 2.4GHz.

Anyone can shed some light on this? Could it be interference? Which channels does the Mavic Pro support in 5G? I do know that 36 to 48 are congested where I live.
Thanks!!

5G doesn't have the penetration or distance that 2.4G does. I doubt the Mavic supports 5G at all.

It does support it according to the manual and the DGI Go app. It is recommended to avoid interference, as it is less congested than 2.4Ghz. Here's the quote:

The Wi-Fi frequency of your mobile device can be set to 2.4GHz (default) or 5GHz. On
supported devices, set Wi-Fi to 5GHz for less interference.

You are misinterpreting the instructions. Look at User Manual Appendix under Remote Controller Operating Frequency - 2.400 GHz to 2.4835 GHz. This is how the RC talks to the Mavic.

Your mobile device (è.g. cellphone, tablet) may allow WiFi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. If you are trying to maintain WiFi Internet on your mobile device you should switch to 5GHz mode. Otherwise go to airplane mode and shut it off so you don't risk interfering with the RC to Mavic link while flying.

You are misinterpreting the instructions. Look at User Manual Appendix under Remote Controller Operating Frequency - 2.400 GHz to 2.4835 GHz. This is how the RC talks to the Mavic.

Your mobile device (è.g. cellphone, tablet) may allow WiFi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. If you are trying to maintain WiFi Internet on your mobile device you should switch to 5GHz mode. Otherwise go to airplane mode and shut it off so you don't risk interfering with the RC to Mavic link while flying.

I am not misinterpreting anything. That's the operating frequency of the RC not of the WiFi. Do not confuse the two.

When you are using your phone only in WiFi mode to control the craft, the communication protocol is different. The instructions are pretty clear as well as the settings in the DJI app. The instructions also tell tou on how to reset from 5G to 2.4G. It wouldn't be possible to switch to 5G in the DJI app if it was not supported!

Try Wi-Fi mode and you will then see the options in the DJI app. There is an additional tab to control the band and exact channel of the Wi-Fi connection.

OK, got to the bottom of it. The Mavic does support 5GHz and I can connect to it with my laptop, but not my android phone. The issue is that it defaults to channel 149, which Google has locked out on the nexus phones for legal compliance reasons. As far I understand, there is not such restriction on US phones. Unfortunately there is no away to change channels on the Mavic, unless you are already connected on that network. :(

Any issues? because I have almost the same problem with no 5G option
topic on Dji forum

perhaps there is an option how to reset all the AirCraft settings like first activation from the box, because the normal reset to the factory settings Assistant also does not help:(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3