DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Range Extenders

They are great on a Phantom 3S -work amazingly well - ok on a Phantom 4 for wifi noisy areas you get to keep all bars and get less interference in the video feed.

But for the Mavic - it does nothing much.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have a set for my P3P and it extends the range tremendously. It makes the antennas omni-directional. Meaning pointing in one (omni) direction and focuses the wavelength to that direction. I'm looking at getting a set for my MP and that's what brought me here.

I have a set for my P3P and it extends the range tremendously. It makes the antennas omni-directional. Meaning pointing in one (omni) direction and focuses the wavelength to that direction. I'm looking at getting a set for my MP and that's what brought me here.

LOL! I think that you need to look up the word "omnidirectional" and the root form "Omni-".

Reactions: Soonerdrone
I bought a set for my Mavic. I've always done the DBS Mod, to my Phantoms and I believe there is little debate on their ability to boost signal.

I always hear the Parabolic Windsurfers work wonders and you don't need to open your controller to improve signal etc.

But I've simply never had a windsurfer that helped all that much. I they help in a small area with lots of congestion... but they don't do much for distance. I've found they make the signal much more directional, and you have to constantly adjust your angle to get max signals.

I'm a fish salesman, not a scientist.

Reactions: Islandguy27
I bought a set for my Mavic. I've always done the DBS Mod, to my Phantoms and I believe there is little debate on their ability to boost signal.

I always hear the Parabolic Windsurfers work wonders and you don't need to open your controller to improve signal etc.

But I've simply never had a windsurfer that helped all that much. I they help in a small area with lots of congestion... but they don't do much for distance. I've found they make the signal much more directional, and you have to constantly adjust your angle to get max signals.

I'm a fish salesman, not a scientist.

I googled up some images of "Parabolic Windsurfer". Like the name suggests, they look like simple parabolic reflectors similar to flashlight reflectors, as if someone thought that 12-cm long RF waves could be reflected from small parabolic surfaces in the same way that 0.00001-cm long light waves can be reflected from small parabolic surfaces. Definitely smells like snake-oil territory to me.

I'm not a fish salesman either, but I am a scientist.

Omni-directional means it sends or receives the signal equally in all directions . The straight linear omni is what will come stock on most every RC setup . A circular polarized ant set will increase the effectiveness of a omni greatly . Something like a Patch antenna is directional and has greater range than Omni but needs to be pointed at the target because they have very weak signal from the sides and almost nothing from the back . Most directional antennas can cause you to lose signal at very close range also if you're not careful to track the aircraft because of the narrow beam of transmission .

It's time to "accessorize" everybody! With junk that provides little to no function to the performance of the quad. I get leg extenders and lens filters, but my mavic flys no worse or even better without prop guards, landing pads, skins, range extenders (which btw, why would you need them anyway? the mavic already flys bvlos and you shouldn't be flying in populated areas with lots of interference to "focus" your signal) etc.

But...people can do what they want and part with their money. If you have anecdotal evidence these work then fine. Just putting the word out there to fellow flyers that there's a lot of junk out there and you don't have to buy everything.

DP.

One thing I think these little guys do is make you more aware of "aiming" the controller at the bird. I know I focus a lot more on that when using the Windsurfers.

ps. Looking at the $4 ones on Amazon. They come in silver or gold.. Which is better????? I NEED SCIENCES!

I have a set for my mavic pro and also use Marvel mystery oil so I'm doubly foolish
That being said.....I Stick with thing that work in the real word
......C

i was in south africa on a yacht offshore, and i flew my mavic to shore and dropped into the world cup stadium in capetown. Once I got into the stadium i was losing signal so I had to fly home. would a range extender have helped in this situation?
I'm hoping there were no people inside as flying over crowds is illegal!

Has anyone used these or have any opinion on them?
DJI Mavic Pro - Range Extender

They say nothing good it gives.
But this thing is quite good - it widers range up to 12 km. But more expensive as well
0434037854f3107ef5d831ac6d34182b.jpg
104740a3e08b34fe515825385e524048.jpg

Reactions: charliesRig
Anybody know any antenna mods where it just has 1 (left,right)antenna coming out the back in the middle. Broken antenna on front left leg. waiting on parts to arrive and im starting to have withdrones........

Just ordered a pair. Maybe I am just being paranoid but anything that can help me maintain a strong signal to my Mavic will give me peace of mind. Especially when they are so inexpensive.
I assume you set home point and altitude every time .
This has saved me on 2 occasions over 4 months

Allot of this stuff is just more Cr@p that we think (want) to work when in reality it is just more junk that we pay a few bucks for and think that it actually helps...... Then It will just take up room in our storage cases.

It is just like washing our cars...... and then we think the car "drives/rides" better.....
Addiction

It's time to "accessorize" everybody! With junk that provides little to no function to the performance of the quad. I get leg extenders and lens filters, but my mavic flys no worse or even better without prop guards, landing pads, skins, range extenders (which btw, why would you need them anyway? the mavic already flys bvlos and you shouldn't be flying in populated areas with lots of interference to "focus" your signal) etc.

But...people can do what they want and part with their money. If you have anecdotal evidence these work then fine. Just putting the word out there to fellow flyers that there's a lot of junk out there and you don't have to buy everything.

DP.

I totally agree with you about the wide range of craps is out there to extend the range of the MP, but who want to send the MP 4miles or more so they could brag online about his trip. When DJI upgrade for real the battery then I probably think about some of that stuff. In another subject what is about your name “Drone police”[emoji23]

Guys and Gals,

I bought this exact accessory about a couple months ago. In using this device I didn't really see any difference in the Mavic range or reception. One of my tests was on a trip to Maine. I was sending the Mavic out about 1900 meters (over unobstructed water) to photograph a lighthouse off Portland light. I first sent the Mavic out WITHOUT the range extenders on. Clear weather, 50 degrees and 10kt headwind. Got out to the lighthouse and still had 3 bars. After getting my shots I put the range extenders on. I did not see any degradation in the signal BUT didn't see any increase either. However, the signal was VERY directional at this point. A 10 degree turn from the direction of the drone caused a noticeable drop in signal strength (avg 2 bars).

I conducted several tests with a new battery, flying without obstructions (over water) and alonf the coast (with minor obstructions) trees/vegetation. I did not see any advantage in having the range extenders attached to the Mavic RC.

I only wasted about $15, so it was worth the shot. But it did not pan out.

Hope this helps.

Here is my set up from covertdrones.com I own a Mavic platinum it’s got 4watt amps in the box and then my smaller setup I use for when I’m traveling so I don’t have to lug around a box that is pretty heavy like going on an airplane. I can go further in my congested nebighorhood then my mavic battery would ever last :) I never ever ever have a video feed problem not even a hiccup

Attachments

• B390C28C-7FCC-4DD0-81D6-A0369B63787D.jpeg
    B390C28C-7FCC-4DD0-81D6-A0369B63787D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • E77CD7CB-FFFD-46A3-9179-F4D2924E5CCF.jpeg
    E77CD7CB-FFFD-46A3-9179-F4D2924E5CCF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 57C52B48-EF1C-4478-BA5D-1E87E933C09F.jpeg
    57C52B48-EF1C-4478-BA5D-1E87E933C09F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals