DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Range

Boog0822

Reactions
What is everyone getting for range with the Mavic Pro? I had a P3S and was getting only 1200-1300 feet out max at 250 feet up before weak signal warnings and video loss. I understand I have Wi-Fi interference in my area but that just won't cut it for me. I returned the PS3 due to the lack of range and I'm now waiting on my Mavic I just ordered. I was hoping to get at least 10,000 feet with the Mavic. Is that asking too much in what's probably a congested Wi-Fi area?
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

I have flown greater than 5000 feet with no issues. With a spotter of course. :) This was done in a non congested wifi area. Remember that the Mavic uses a frequency range that is not typically used by ones wifi connections. Its not a closed band , but a less frequent band.

I got 19,646 feet and could have went further but I didn't have enough battery to make a complete return to home. Seriously, the range is incredible on this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I got 19,646 feet and could have went further but I didn't have enough battery to make a complete return to home. Seriously, the range is incredible on this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
At what height are you flying at? Asking because I was in Mexico recently - flew from my hotel (which was literally on the sand of a beach) straight out to the ocean. Flew around 180 feet high - started to get lag video at around 3500 feet. Got concerned and turned around - probably could have made it another 400 feet before losing signal.

At what height are you flying at? Asking because I was in Mexico recently - flew from my hotel (which was literally on the sand of a beach) straight out to the ocean. Flew around 180 feet high - started to get lag video at around 3500 feet. Got concerned and turned around - probably could have made it another 400 feet before losing signal.
Just checked the log, this was 393'. In your situation did happen to check out the transmission status in settings to see what kind of interference you were getting? I wonder if the hotel wifi was causing issues for you.

Reactions: TimesTen
What is everyone getting for range with the Mavic Pro? I had a P3S and was getting only 1200-1300 feet out max at 250 feet up before weak signal warnings and video loss. I understand I have Wi-Fi interference in my area but that just won't cut it for me. I returned the PS3 due to the lack of range and I'm now waiting on my Mavic I just ordered. I was hoping to get at least 10,000 feet with the Mavic. Is that asking too much in what's probably a congested Wi-Fi area?
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

You need clear line of sight. Even trees which are not blocking line of sight, but very near the sight line will reduce the signal significantly. I reached over 22,600 today in Palo Alto at only 164 ft altitude. I flew right over downtown and still had signal. You need to keep the remote aimed directly at the craft and antenna straight up and parallel. I rely heavily on my compass/radar view to keep controller lined up.

I fly in a rural area but with plenty of wooded areas, so trees are always a factor regarding range. I find that I can keep a fairly steady signal up to 5000 feet if I'm at about 250 feet altitude. Beyond that, I need to climb in order to maintain a good signal. As long as I keep climbing, maintaining VLOS (not that I can really see it), I can go as far out as I'm comfortable with. Of course, it's not real practical when you have to climb so high that you can no longer really see what you are trying to film.

Reactions: CEDRIXXX
I fly in a rural area but with plenty of wooded areas, so trees are always a factor regarding range. I find that I can keep a fairly steady signal up to 5000 feet if I'm at about 250 feet altitude. Beyond that, I need to climb in order to maintain a good signal. As long as I keep climbing, maintaining VLOS (not that I can really see it), I can go as far out as I'm comfortable with. Of course, it's not real practical when you have to climb so high that you can no longer really see what you are trying to film.

Yes, you should try to find a hill to launch from that has an open view to the subject you are filming. Any trees will reduce signal, even those which are not in your line of site to the craft, but are close to line of site will cut signal.

Don't forget that depending on where you are, your Mavic will either operate in CE mode or FCC mode. CE mode has reduced power and therefore range.

Reactions: LeMur
Yes, you should try to find a hill to launch from that has an open view to the subject you are filming. Any trees will reduce signal, even those which are not in your line of site to the craft, but are close to line of site will cut signal.

A hill, that's funny. I live in flatsville. The nearest change in elevation greater than 25 feet is 20 miles away.

This is my personal furthest. I came back at 26% battery remaining. I would love to push it further but over water I was worried about having enough battery to come back, which clearly it did

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170205-204653.png
    Screenshot_20170205-204653.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
I'm kinda confused when I try to fly out, usually when I'm about 700 too 900 meters I keep get strong interface for about couple seconds then goes away I get nervous then I come back..... I was flying in my neighborhood over homes so I'm not sure what it could be from? Anyone know? Thanks

I'm kinda confused when I try to fly out, usually when I'm about 700 too 900 meters I keep get strong interface for about couple seconds then goes away I get nervous then I come back..... I was flying in my neighborhood over homes so I'm not sure what it could be from? Anyone know? Thanks
Try manually setting your transmission frequency before takeoff and use the 10hz band.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest