DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Range

76bd93f6f5a48cd7af16f8de745d870c.jpg

This is my max distance run. There were heavy winds so I was flying out and back in sport mode, decreasing the battery range. I returned when I got the RTH distance warning (my motorcycle was in the shop so I had no way to drive to recover it) and got back with lots of battery to spare. The RC and video signal was excellent the whole time. Here's the cached video of the run from my phone (sped up 10x), you can see no substantial loss of video quality at that distance, even though the YouTube compression hurts it a little. I was just doing a fun flight so the video settings were on automatic giving the WB and exposure that flicker when sped up. You can also see I didn't judge the wind direction perfectly and I had to crab a little on the way out and even more on the return leg.

Last edited:
Flying from my house I only get about 1,500 to 2,500 feet at best. But there are a ton of trees and wifi and the area.

I'm thinking about getting a modded controller with a nano sync antenna to see what I can get.

I've seen lots of people here and on YouTube achieve the advertised 4 miles, but honestly, I've never gotten better than a mile and a half. Granted, there were always various interference issues. Plus I'm not really interested in pushing it that far, but I would like to do better. Line of sight as far as the transmitter is a must - it always drops out with buildings/ forests/hills in the way. Still a hell of a piece of machinery. Just came came from tulum Mexico with great footage[emoji1303]

Reactions: Turnerm
I flew 7400 feet over an open marsh. Strong signal with no break up.

So... I just realized that I've been orienting my antennas in the wrong way. I naively thought that they tips of the antennas needed to be pointed in the direction of the MP. The manual clearly states that the antennas should be oriented so that the flat part faces the drone, not the tips.

After doing this I increased my range by at least 20%.

Reactions: Marc.Lip
I was scared to fly further than 300ft the first couple of weeks until a forum member told me to grow a pair! haha I said F*** it and decided to go all in! Did this my first flight over water without any adjustments and felt like a champ! :)

Now I've got all the confidence in the world and that's a recipe for disaster! lol

IMG_7139.png

My longest distance out with my P4 so far is 17000 feet. I'm not in a good spot for distance flying for some reason but I still have loads of fun!

It's just talk without proof...

View attachment 8061
Question: As a new Mavic owner....I understand the importance of maintaining VLOS....but also realize that this tiny drone is impossible to see once it gets 200-300 feet out (or less). So it seems safest to fly by instruments and screen at that point.

I still get nervous when it's too far out and can't imagine flying it as far as you did...but I want to. :). When you do....how to bring it back? Do you focus primarily on the commas, do you to a simple return home and wait for it?

Reactions: GooniesNeverDie
Question: As a new Mavic owner....I understand the importance of maintaining VLOS....but also realize that this tiny drone is impossible to see once it gets 200-300 feet out (or less). So it seems safest to fly by instruments and screen at that point.

I still get nervous when it's too far out and can't imagine flying it as far as you did...but I want to. :). When you do....how to bring it back? Do you focus primarily on the commas, do you to a simple return home and wait for it?

Correction "commas" = instruments

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake