DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Saves Itself from Epic Pilot Error. Mistakes were made...

ColoradoBob

Reactions
Here's photographic proof that Return to Home Obstacle Avoidance really works.

I'm flying around this mountain when I decide to do a scrim shot off of a prominance. I'm enjoying fixed wing mode making these really long passes shoothing 4K video. When all of a sudden I pull the biggest epic bone headed move of my drone pilot career... As you will see, I for some reason turn into the mountain after I pass the prominance and turn right into a radio shadow... The Mavic pauses, activates RTH and heads directly at the mountain... I of course lost video and RC contact, for the first time since flying the MP. I hit the RTH button on the controller and scanned the area where the MP disappeared... You can imagine my relief when I see the video and RC reconnect... But I could see rocks real close to my starboard side so I exited stage left immediately brought it home as it was at 33% battery... I fly 3 more batteries and call it a day.
When I saw the video from the MP iwas was totaly amazed at how it worked its way out of that jam. If would have crashed and hung up it would have been a 400 foot climb at 45 and 60 degree slopes. If I had been flying anything else in my fleet I would have been one sad camper.
Thanks DJI for Obstacle Avoidance! I guess the bigger the obstacle the better it works. I'll will endever to never again use that feature ever again, though I'll always have it on.

Great flying by the Mavic, love the term "Mountain Avoidance" :D

Helluva save mate, just wish we had scenery around here like that to shoot!

Venom
I am lucky to have the desert/mountain interface to fly in... the views are spectacular from 400 feet. I came home with 39 gigabytes of video and stills from that trip alone.
Bob

I love to see that. Gives me even more confidence in my toy's capabilities. It's cool to watch the technology in action and work the way it's supposed to without having to risk my own $1K.

Thanks for sharing. And watch out for those pesky mountains - those little buggers can pop-up anytime, anywhere by surprise!

"Who put that here???"

Reactions: Ty_tastic
Ms palms are sweaty just watching the video, you must have really been choked up when you saw how close it came.

Here's photographic proof that Return to Home Obstacle Avoidance really works.

I'm flying around this mountain when I decide to do a scrim shot off of a prominance. I'm enjoying fixed wing mode making these really long passes shoothing 4K video. When all of a sudden I pull the biggest epic bone headed move of my drone pilot career... As you will see, I for some reason turn into the mountain after I pass the prominance and turn right into a radio shadow... The Mavic pauses, activates RTH and heads directly at the mountain... I of course lost video and RC contact, for the first time since flying the MP. I hit the RTH button on the controller and scanned the area where the MP disappeared... You can imagine my relief when I see the video and RC reconnect... But I could see rocks real close to my starboard side so I exited stage left immediately brought it home as it was at 33% battery... I fly 3 more batteries and call it a day.
When I saw the video from the MP iwas was totaly amazed at how it worked its way out of that jam. If would have crashed and hung up it would have been a 400 foot climb at 45 and 60 degree slopes. If I had been flying anything else in my fleet I would have been one sad camper.
Thanks DJI for Obstacle Avoidance! I guess the bigger the obstacle the better it works. I'll will endever to never again use that feature ever again, though I'll always have it on.

Great video...so it can avoid stuff as long as it has battery power. Thanks for sharing

Ms palms are sweaty just watching the video, you must have really been choked up when you saw how close it came.
It was funny that my IPad was was recording sound during the blackout and while I was pretty quiet during most of the event, at the end I was breathing pretty hard and had a shout of joy when the remote controller reconnected... was classic Bob.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143