DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC scared the crap out of me

Chun

Reactions
Flew yesterday at the lake off the boat with no problems, not enen Droid app crash.
Then today in the back yard, took off manually with 12 says flew around about 10 ft up every thing going as expected then I get aircraft disconnected but I still have video then MAVIC climbed to about 30 ft as I pull down on left stick to no avail, it starts to fly away , still no stick control, then stops turns around and hovers. Then controller losses contact with mavic. It is about 25 ft from home point. Then I restart controller and screen just says stick error. App pops back up and I hear landing , luckily it's about 2ft away from my shop and makes it to the ground. Recalibrate controller and then it jumps back and forth from nfz to atti. Then gets gps after about 10 min. Then starts to rain , guess I'm glad , enough stress for one evening.
Anybody have a clue? Any info will be appreciated!

The log file from your phone would be very helpful to isolate this, but I'll make a guess because a similar thing happened to me.

Sounds like a weak GPS signal, and possibly a bad home lock as a result of taking off with no lock, running in ATTI mode for a bit, then locking on to an inaccurate location. The way to prevent this is to wait for GPS mode before taking off, and checking that the GPS location on the map is accurate, meaning close enough to your location that you don't mind having it try to land there.

Another, probably less likely way to get this behavior is from nearby magnetic interference from large steel structures, DC power lines for example, or a poorly calibrated compass and/or IMU.

I'll get the logs up
I did have GPS lock before I took off app said home point updated , (thanks to you guys I never take off in atti) Imu and compass was green, I checked them because of the boat ride yesterday. I have had app crash but never rc loss. Why would it start to fly away then turn around and land where ever it is. I know you need the logs to answer all this .
I fly in my backyard all the time with no incidents, until now.
Thank you in advance for your expertise! We are very fortunate to have you and others like you
I will get the logs up

Reactions: Blades
Screenshot_20170501-180420.png Sorry for delay I'm working on logs on the computer the logs stop after the 27th but they are on the app so I'm still trying to find them on my computer Third one down is when it happened and second one down is when app said landing but are the same flight did not land and take back offScreenshot_20170501-180420.png

I think this is right. I did not land in between these two flights. that is when mavic had the mind of its own and did the strange things as described above

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-04-30_[19-32-59].txt
    319.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-04-30_[19-37-48].txt
    25.7 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately, I need to see the DAT file for this flight. I can't find anything strange while the app was able to log the telemetry.

That just looks like a bunch of Chinese chicken scratch. I hope we don't have to try to decipher that when we need to look at our flight logs. LOL

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
The log file from your phone would be very helpful to isolate this, but I'll make a guess because a similar thing happened to me.

Sounds like a weak GPS signal, and possibly a bad home lock as a result of taking off with no lock, running in ATTI mode for a bit, then locking on to an inaccurate location. The way to prevent this is to wait for GPS mode before taking off, and checking that the GPS location on the map is accurate, meaning close enough to your location that you don't mind having it try to land there.

Another, probably less likely way to get this behavior is from nearby magnetic interference from large steel structures, DC power lines for example, or a poorly calibrated compass and/or IMU.

how do you know if the lines are DC or not? most of the lines I see are AC

It's true. Dc current is probably the worst and you'll find it near train and trolley tracks. Ac lines can also disrupt the compass as well as interfere with the remote. The mavic is probably more vulnerable because there is no way to explicitly switch into atti mode.

Unfortunately, I need to see the DAT file for this flight. I can't find anything strange while the app was able to log the telemetry.
Will not be able to post dat file, I opted to exchange it. It had odd behavior since first flight. Controller disconnect every other flight and numerous other issues. Where as my other mavic has had zero issues, outside of an app crash,it just hovers till I reopened app never loses signal with controller.
In the longer of the two flight logs did it say he landed? Or just in the shorter log? App says it landed -5ft but it landed at same level as it took off from .
Thanks again for your time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo