DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Scotland

I never knew what that castle was called !
166fa1716d7158d8bb0b0edf170b299a.jpg

Here's a quick snap of Dean Castle in Kilmarnock, from my first flight !

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
Haven't had any incidents like that. Only occasionally running a compass cal, though I haven't travelled far. Haven't done an IMU cal yet. I wouldn't be too scared flying. The Mavic looks able to take a lot of abuse from some of the vids I've seen.
NATS course is at Prestwick Airport. Been very good. Just wish I could get the Mavic into ATTI mode, as I need to fly on that for practical session. Probably borrowing a Phantom 2 for that. Still to get CAA approval, though after course hopefully a formality.

Greenan Castle is just south of Ayr right on the beach. Nice quiet area too.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

So do you have to do the practical in front of the instructor and they sign you off?

What kind of things are they expecting you to do?

So do you have to do the practical in front of the instructor and they sign you off?

What kind of things are they expecting you to do?

A basic figure of eight a few times then flying nose in showing your aware that the controls will be reversed. I guess just proving that you can keep the drone stable and not batter it off people and places. That was the last part with the theory the previous day. You then get help putting an Ops Manual together which would then be submitted to CAA for approval.

Sent from my SM-G930F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: harrylisbon
Thought about buying one of these, but then figured on balance that I didn't want to lug around another Mavic sized piece of equipment.

Now I use weather forecasting apps The Weather Channel amongst others, licking my finger and holding it up and of course (where available) looking at tree movement.

Just checked out the UAV Forecast app...it looks really good, but how do they justify the massive annual fee for anything more than the free 24 hour forecast?!

I'm sure many people would pay £5 for that information but £23 ?!!!! No way!

Reactions: Watty
Paid the £22 for the 7 day forecast but not very reliable most of the days are Not good to fly when you can 24hr is best option

Hi all, I use the met office weather app (£2.99 for ad free) and it offers 5 days forecast with hourly on the day, it shows winds, gusts, visibility, rain and humidity and so far has been very accurate. I also carry a small anemometer to ensure wind is as forecast. I managed a couple of flight at Loch Leven yesterday before the rain came on and the MP managed the wind conditions very well albeit it gave wind condition warnings during the flight.

Hope this helps

Reactions: M4RK
Hi all.

I am going to Edinburgh for a few days in May. I am planning to take my Mavic with me. I wanted to fly on Arthur's Seat and Colton Hill but from what I saw in the Internet it's a 'red' zone.

Is there a place near Edinburgh were it's a allowed to fly and take some pictures / movies from the incredible Scottish landscape?

Reactions: Powderdog
You can take off from Arthur's Seat but don't take off from Hollywood park as its a royal park also Scottish Parliament is there and the palace. Have seen folk taking off from the duddingston loch area . Colinton Hill don't see an issue as your more than 5 mile from Edinburgh airport and no military there but don't take off from princess seat gardens as know someone that was arrested from there as 1. It's a congested area and 2. The castle is a military establishment.

Reactions: SvenPatrick
@Ray Smith: thanks a lot. Looking at this thread I saw a picture from North Queensferry. Walked over the bridge last September. I guess I will have to do this agin this year to fly my drone :).

BTW do you know if it is allowed to fly a drone on Inchcolm Island?

Does anyone use the polar pro ND filters ? I'm looking for some help as I can't get the bloody thing off !! It won't budge and I'm scared stiff that I'm going to pull the gimbal apart !!!

Does anyone use the polar pro ND filters ? I'm looking for some help as I can't get the bloody thing off !! It won't budge and I'm scared stiff that I'm going to pull the gimbal apart !!!

Try heating it with a blow torch ;-)

I've heard others say this that they are a pretty "snug" fit. I'd contact Polar and ask best technique because they should be designed to go on/off due to the need to swap them around.

All, I had a nightmare today due to an antenna loss and the aircraft did not return home. This was a short flight over Loch Leven with near perfect conditions. The antenna experienced issues at around 700m so I tried turning the aircraft to fly back and the aircraft disconnected. This should have prompted a RTH but no aircraft returned. I cycled closer to the area as it was over water and the connection never regained. I returned back to the home point twice and no aircraft. I just updated the firmware two day ago so don't know if this is part of the issue.

Has anyone else experienced Antenna loss at such a short distance?

I have DJI care but don't know where I stand as I have no aircraft to send for replacement.........I would really appreciate any advice or indeed comments if you have had similar issues. [emoji37]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy