DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Settings - Video/gimbal speed/etc

JakeO

Reactions
Ok folks. I got my Mavic yesterday (added to the apple frenzy). I have done lots of homework for the last month in preparation. I have watched every youtube video out there :) I am looking for some good recommendations in writing (not a link to another youtube video because trust me I seen them all).

I am not a professional. I wont be doing post production color cleanup is a reality. I will only doing little editing after the fact to trim videos down and BASICs. I am looking for some good settings with this in mind
Color settings? right now I have set to none.
gimbal settings
speed settings or YAW or other stuff impacting "smooth recordings". the videos out there on this are confusing and setting names don't map to exactly to those in my mavic app settings.Like no one recommends Gimbal Pitch buffer setting?

for video I am in 2.7k 30FPS as it appears as good enough and what I saw in a number of threads as a reasonable setting. Not sure if that is overkill. Truth is I am likely doing nothing more then uploading videos to youtube or watching on my PC.

I also set EXP - RUDDER RIGHT RUDDER LEFT (GENTLE) 0.20 for YAW settings.

I realize there is no "right" settings, but there are experienced people out there and look to your experience to aid me in a solid starting point set of recommendations.

appreciate it

btw my first video

Last edited:
Reactions: Pete
Jake, probably the best way is to experiment with the parameters until you are satisfied...kind of like: "one man's food, is another man's poison". In other words, the settings I like (when I get my Mavic), might not be the best for you. Thumbswayup

you realize I wanted a cleaner answer :) - haha. I understand. I would still seek advice based on experience for anyone that has had their mavic for a little while now and a number of flights under their belt. I have one battery only and very little experimental time.

Ok folks. I got my Mavic yesterday (added to the apple frenzy). I have done lots of homework for the last month in preparation. I have watched every youtube video out there :) I am looking for some good recommendations in writing (not a link to another youtube video because trust me I seen them all).

I am not a professional. I wont be doing post production color cleanup is a reality. I will only doing little editing after the fact to trim videos down and BASICs. I am looking for some good settings with this in mind
Color settings? right now I have set to none.
gimbal settings
speed settings or YAW or other stuff impacting "smooth recordings". the videos out there on this are confusing and setting names don't map to exactly to those in my mavic app settings.Like no one recommends Gimbal Pitch buffer setting?

for video I am in 2.7k 30FPS as it appears as good enough and what I saw in a number of threads as a reasonable setting. Not sure if that is overkill. Truth is I am likely doing nothing more then uploading videos to youtube or watching on my PC.

I also set EXP - RUDDER RIGHT RUDDER LEFT (GENTLE) 0.20 for YAW settings.

I realize there is no "right" settings, but there are experienced people out there and look to your experience to aid me in a solid starting point set of recommendations.

appreciate it

btw my first video
Jake, try tripod mode. Seems to be a quick way to adjust those most common settings for smoother video on the fly.
I don't know if others have run int the same issue I have, but I only see tripod option on the screen after I am in the air.

You can of course experiment with photography settings without flying at all. Set your copter on a table or whatever outside, and shoot away. Easier to deal with than having to also devote attention to flying.

Reactions: shevlin
Are people just not comfortable sharing their secret/hard earned configurations OR are they just not at the point they think what they have is good?

Meaning - there must be some skilled flyers/users that have some wisdom to share on these settings that work for them. Hard time coming by it.

Are people just not comfortable sharing their secret/hard earned configurations OR are they just not at the point they think what they have is good?

Meaning - there must be some skilled flyers/users that have some wisdom to share on these settings that work for them. Hard time coming by it.

It may be hard to find responses because not many people have their Mavic yet...and/or people are still experimenting and trying to find their optimal setting(s)...like myself...since the Mavic is still relatively new. As for experienced people out there...you'll find a lot of suggestions in the phantom forums...or just google/youtube phantom camera settings. There a bunch out there.

As for my current settings...I'm at default and am fine with them for now.

It may be hard to find responses because not many people have their Mavic yet...and/or people are still experimenting and trying to find their optimal setting(s)...like myself...since the Mavic is still relatively new. As for experienced people out there...you'll find a lot of suggestions in the phantom forums...or just google/youtube phantom camera settings. There a bunch out there.

As for my current settings...I'm at default and am fine with them for now.
Thank you, I know I'm being a little pushy in trying to solicit some settings for folks. I literally can't find anything on the Internet that explains what the gimbal pitch buffer does.

Thank you, I know I'm being a little pushy in trying to solicit some settings for folks. I literally can't find anything on the Internet that explains what the gimbal pitch buffer does.

With the little time I've had to play with the Mavic...i think it's just a form of delay for the gimbal pitch. The higher the value, the longer the delay.

With the little time I've had to play with the Mavic...i think it's just a form of delay for the gimbal pitch. The higher the value, the longer the delay.

Sounds to me that it's basically like putting expo in your sticks. Less sensitive near the center?

ahh ok so for smoother shots/transitions I want a higher value on the gimbal pitch buffer then?

BTw I did see that video that was just posted and he is referencing some settings that frankly are not named the same thing in the mavic latest DJI pro app controller which is why I am all confused.

I cannot find any method of changing gimbal wheel speed / sensitivity on my Mavic. The menu on the P4 is not there for the Mavic. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

if you want smooth video movement use Litchi app and program your flight path from your computer at home.
I use al the time now and my videos are incredibly smooth.. there is no way you can achieve that kind of perfect change of direction and camera movement manually.
I also use 4k video 24fps and take screen shots after for the photos i want .. do not bother taking photos while flying.
I also fly at sunset - evening sometimes and then you need to use manual photo settings with iso 100 for minimum grain noise and then speed i set to 5-6 secs. Aperture is not available as option as far as i know.
the magic is incredibly stable as was the phantom 4 which i also have.
i have attached a low resolution photo taken at night so you have an idea.
and this is a video taken with litchi pre-programmed flight path:

Attachments

• 15129027_10154858278231004_569105609056605983_o.jpg
    15129027_10154858278231004_569105609056605983_o.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Rick and Pete
Thanks Spy - nice photo too. I have Litchi and am more than competent in getting smooth video, but the gimbal on the Mavic is quite sensitive - the slightest movement creates a 'fast' adjustment. On my P4, I can adjust the gimbal sensitivity, but can't find this on the Mavic. Hence my question.

Thanks Spy - nice photo too. I have Litchi and am more than competent in getting smooth video, but the gimbal on the Mavic is quite sensitive - the slightest movement creates a 'fast' adjustment. On my P4, I can adjust the gimbal sensitivity, but can't find this on the Mavic. Hence my question.

very true i also noticed that but i know from the p4 i had to go to settings to fine tune the sensitivity so i am sure i can do the same for the mavic .. will try it later today and will let you know

Spy_Corfu "I also use 4k video 24fps and take screen shots after for the photos i want .. do not bother taking photos while flying."

OT, what program do you recommend for capturing still photos from 4K video?

No program just screen shot using whatever keys combination your system uses. For example i have a mac and i press shift+cmd+4 to select which part of the screen i want to take a screen shot.

Reactions: J-Dub
if you want smooth video movement use Litchi app and program your flight path from your computer at home.
I use al the time now and my videos are incredibly smooth.. there is no way you can achieve that kind of perfect change of direction and camera movement manually.
I also use 4k video 24fps and take screen shots after for the photos i want .. do not bother taking photos while flying.
I also fly at sunset - evening sometimes and then you need to use manual photo settings with iso 100 for minimum grain noise and then speed i set to 5-6 secs. Aperture is not available as option as far as i know.
the magic is incredibly stable as was the phantom 4 which i also have.
i have attached a low resolution photo taken at night so you have an idea.
and this is a video taken with litchi pre-programmed flight path:

I spent the last day of my holiday in August this year waiting for our flight back home, climbing the castle and exploring Corfu Town. Great views of the castle and famous cricket pitch; nice and smooth flybys. I bought Litchi two days ago for the Mavic but haven't used it yet. Spent my time reading up on the app and trying the online PC flight planning part of the app that allows for pre flight waypoints to be made in advance of even seeing the planned site. I understand that you have to be aware of tall trees and buildings that are hard to see or precisely locate in the map used by Litchi, which I presume is google maps. Its a very powerful program, so I'm happy for the moment just to read up on it's proper use and watching tutorial videos on the net.
Corfu is a great island. I've had four holidays there in the last eight years. The North East coast is so pretty and has to be explored by land and sea to appreciate all the little beaches and coves that can be found amid the coastal cliff tops. Additionally the north west tip of the island has some of the most spectacular views of all, with unbelievable sunsets to compliment a perfect day!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser