DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic signal lost when POI or other modes

Damien66

Reactions
Hello pilots!

Technically, this should be duplicate thread, but I could not find any reliable answer.

Today I tried POI starting with 100% battery, 100m far from me, open area, 30m diameter, 40m high. During POI mode, I switched my RC off, but no RTH happened, bird continued circling. I left it one minute and turned controller on again to cancel POI and land.

This was just for a test, but what if this happen far far away in real? It need to drain battery to RTH level? Or critical level to RTH being engaged?

Regards!
Ondrej

Yes when you are flying POI or waypoint it will continue its program then RTH upon critical Battery if no RC signal . If you have signal it will RTH immediately if you press and hold the RTH button.

Thank you for your reply!
So should I use these two functions with caution, that if I am too far and lost signal, Mavic could land somewhere, where I could not find it (the worst situation of course).
Regards!

Rydfree - When you say "critical battery" do you mean the user set critical level (defaults to 10%), or the mavic determined "rth battery length" as in low-battery-rth where it does an rth when it determines there's only sufficient battery left to do so based on the distance from home?

Rydfree - When you say "critical battery" do you mean the user set critical level (defaults to 10%), or the mavic determined "rth battery length" as in low-battery-rth where it does an rth when it determines there's only sufficient battery left to do so based on the distance from home?
Perfect question!
I think, it goes to that 10% level (if not changed by user) and start to descent.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking - if disconnect RTH is disabled in these modes, then possibly so is low battery rth, in which case it might be sensible to set the critical battery level very high when using them. Interested to find out if anyone knows for sure.

Also, if the action taken at the user set critical level is an immediate landing, what I've said above about setting the level to something high won't actually help - the mavic will still just land in a possibly unsuitable location, so any use of those modes needs a bit of foresight to prevent a possible loss of the aircraft if rc is lost.

POI = circling. There is a chance that the mavic might circle behind a tall structure. Chances that your controller will lose contact with the mavic behind the tall structure. If your controller does, then you do NOT want the mavic to RTH straight into that tall structure. You rather it hover.
And this is why RTH is disabled on POI and way point mission.

I understand, that in POI, it continues circling, so there is big chance to gain control back, but it should RTH at RTH battery level. I will test it deeply this weekend and let you know. And for sure, I will test all the modes.

The only reason I started this thread is, that I want to POI around a far located hill. I was above the top and had 2 bars of 5 at signal level with no problem, but what if I lost connection? I need to be sure, that Mav will return.

Yeah I'd be very grateful up know your results from testing this, it certainly is important to know one way or the other what it'll do

I understand, that in POI, it continues circling, so there is big chance to gain control back, but it should RTH at RTH battery level. I will test it deeply this weekend and let you know. And for sure, I will test all the modes.

The only reason I started this thread is, that I want to POI around a far located hill. I was above the top and had 2 bars of 5 at signal level with no problem, but what if I lost connection? I need to be sure, that Mav will return.

Old thread...But did anyone actually do this test in the end? I use POI quite a bit and a long way from home. This could make it really dangerous to risk if it wont come home on a signal loss.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143