DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic spiralling??

marky153

Reactions
Anyone had issues with mavic spiralling out of control. This happened to me twice on first 6 flights. I recalibratted imu and compass and now switch off wifi on iPhone when flying. Also check imu and compass before flying, last 4 flights have been spot on, but worried in case it happens again!
Any other suggestions to why this happened??

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Anyone had issues with mavic spiralling out of control. This happened to me twice on first 6 flights. I recalibratted imu and compass and now switch off wifi on iPhone when flying. Also check imu and compass before flying, last 4 flights have been spot on, but worried in case it happens again!
Any other suggestions to why this happened??

Are you running the latest firmware?

What exactly do you mean by spiraling?

Hi
Yes updated firmware to latest version.
It flew fine for first 15 minuits on both flights, but when coming into land manually, it started going in circles uncontrollably, but managed to land on soft grass with no damage.

Would you mind sharing your flight log so we can see what you're describing? You can upload it here and post a link back here.

Hi
Yes updated firmware to latest version.
It flew fine for first 15 minuits on both flights, but when coming into land manually, it started going in circles uncontrollably, but managed to land on soft grass with no damage.

OK, assume you are talking about v1.2.900 and you did a stick calibration after update since one of the things this version specifically addressed was stick input issues.

OK, assume you are talking about v1.2.900 and you did a stick calibration after update since one of the things this version specifically addressed was stick input issues.

Hi,

No i did not do a stick calibration as it was flying fine after update for the first 15 minuits, When it started spinning it was really hard to control and stop it from spinning in large circles.
It has been flying great for last 4 flights though.

No, never would do this.
Changed app in panic thinking it may be litchi causing problem.

Have you tried replaying your flight in the Go app?
While it is replaying press on the Remote graphic on the bottom of the screen and it will bring up a real time stick graphic display.
See if there are up commanded stick movements (ones you didn't make) which caused the aircraft to spiral

Have you tried replaying your flight in the Go app?
While it is replaying press on the Remote graphic on the bottom of the screen and it will bring up a real time stick graphic display.
See if there are up commanded stick movements (ones you didn't make) which caused the aircraft to spiral

Hi
Just checked and no stick input.
Please look at video I took

Hi
Just checked and no stick input.
Please look at video I took

Ah-ha.......that looks very much like TBE to me with the aircraft attitude remaining constant but looping in circles like that.
Did you calibrate your compass before that flight by any chance? And where exactly were you standing when you calibrated?

Ah-ha.......that looks very much like TBE to me with the aircraft attitude remaining constant but looping in circles like that.
Did you calibrate your compass before that flight by any chance? And where exactly were you standing when you calibrated?

To be honest I updated firmware and did not calibrate compass.
There was no compass warning though?
I always check compass now and have recalibrate in open field and last 4 flights have been flawless.
Do you think it was because I did not calibrate compass?

To be honest I updated firmware and did not calibrate compass.
There was no compass warning though?
I always check compass now and have recalibrate in open field and last 4 flights have been flawless.
Do you think it was because I did not calibrate compass?

TBE (Toilet Bowl Effect) will always be caused by a bad compass cal.
I would redo your calibration and always always get into the habit of checking your mod values (sensor page in the app) before every single take off.

TBE (Toilet Bowl Effect) will always be caused by a bad compass cal.
I would redo your calibration and always always get into the habit of checking your mod values (sensor page in the app) before every single take off.

Yes I do this every time now, really got me worried. I thought mavic had a redundant compass to stop this happening?

I have always been overly cautious and calibrate every time I fly. I figure it would be worth the the try and do some close low flying to see how it does

I have always been overly cautious and calibrate every time I fly. I figure it would be worth the the try and do some close low flying to see how it does
Absolutely not - this is one of the worse things you can do by inadvertently introducing a bad calibration which the app can't possibly notify you of.
Lots on this over on Inspire pilots (and on here now)

Absolutely not - this is one of the worse things you can do by inadvertently introducing a bad calibration which the app can't possibly notify you of.
Lots on this over on Inspire pilots (and on here now)

Let me elaborate... I only fly the compass quads once a week in very different locations so nobody can tell me NOT to calibrate

I also haven't had more than one or two TBE's in 3 years. If I'm lucky then luck I'll take?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851