DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic take off from balcony

Can someone explain what happened in the first clip on this thread, one with the takeoff from the Sheraton hotel room? It looked normal and suddenly flew into the wall, why? What happened?

Note:
The reason i am reading this thread is because i actually want to be able to do this. I am easily able to fly something like Syma X5C out from the living room, through the balcony, fly it around, and rear it back in, but after the indoor crash i had (see my first post, moral of that post - never shut the drone off using CSC), i am no longer confident in Mavic's behaviour. This **** thing is too smart with all its sensors, and its hard to predict for me!

I've launched my Mavic from my 300ft balcony. Although 'not safe', it's really not that hard if you're somewhat competent and you stay calm. And you definitely get badass footage... Here's what to do:

1) Keep it far enough from your balcony railing that there is no magnetic interference (place it on a table if possible).
2) Launch it from and back to the balcony flying backward so the front sensors don't pick up the railings.
3) Don't use the 'Return to Home' feature as it will try to land on the roof of your building... fly it manually.

Check out my balcony launch capturing the Toronto skyline:

Reactions: charliesRig
I've launched my Mavic from my 300ft balcony. Although 'not safe', it's really not that hard if you're somewhat competent and you stay calm. And you definitely get badass footage... Here's what to do:

1) Keep it far enough from your balcony railing that there is no magnetic interference (place it on a table if possible).
2) Launch it from and back to the balcony flying backward so the front sensors don't pick up the railings.
3) Don't use the 'Return to Home' feature as it will try to land on the roof of your building... fly it manually.

Check out my balcony launch capturing the Toronto skyline:

I've launched from a balcony multiple times, i just hand launch, holding it as far as i can safely stretch my hand out. I keep landing protection disabled, makes it easier to hand catch. About the RTH function, its a good idea to actually keep it operational, but update the home location the moment you are above a physically reachable place with is safe to land, just in case. Also, make sure your RTH altitude is well above any building in sight.

Yes you can.!
Like others say. Don't hesitate.!
hardest part would be Just getting away from the launch

No not this time.
From time to time I launch from the deck of a 18ft bowrider with an outboard motor
And there's no place to hide in a boat that size.
so you warm up and launch quickly
Because if you don't it's not going to end well......cR

No not this time.
From time to time I launch from the deck of a 18ft bowrider with an outboard motor
And there's no place to hide in a boat that size.
so you warm up and launch quickly
Because if you don't it's not going to end well......cR
Not following, question was about launching the Mavic 2 from a balcony?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54