DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic to iPad Cable

Walt Rush

Reactions
During the past few weeks there have been a number of threads discussing the use of devices larger than an iPhone or similar smart-phone-like gadget. Some of the threads showed some seemingly cumbersome mounting devices for larger iPads but I haven't seen anything about longer cables to attach them to the Mavic Remote Controller. Has anyone found a source for longer "Lightening to Mavic" cables? The Mavic end of the cable is similar to the Mini USB but there are some subtle differences. Any ideas?

I believe you can just unplug the lightening to Mavic plug and plug a USB to lightening cable in. It plugs into the front top of the controller. No need to get a special cable!

I tried that but it didn't work. If you compare the Mini-USB connector to the connector supplied with the Mavic there seems to be some differences with the pins contacts.

I believe you can just unplug the lightening to Mavic plug and plug a USB to lightening cable in. It plugs into the front top of the controller. No need to get a special cable!
Correct. That is what I do when I use my iPad mini. One thing to keep in mind is to completely remove the short mavic to lightning cable. If it is still plugged into the controller the full size USB port will not activate

Correct. That is what I do when I use my iPad mini. One thing to keep in mind is to completely remove the short mavic to lightning cable. If it is still plugged into the controller the full size USB port will not activate

So you can't charge the controller while something else is plugged into the big uSB port?

The controller end of the cable is a USB type micro-a. I've heard that when you use the USB port on the bottom of the controller, that some of the intelligent flight modes are not available.

The controller end of the cable is a USB type micro-a. I've heard that when you use the USB port on the bottom of the controller, that some of the intelligent flight modes are not available.

Not true, functions just the same from either port

Reactions: Thomas B
Assuming you were thinking you HAD to use the USB C port (like the mavic does by default with your phone) - this is a common issue that many Mavic owners don't realize at first

The Type-A (normal) USB port on the bottom of the controler is what everyone uses, I found a braided 6-inch USB Type-A to right-angled-lightning from Amazon, unfortunately I got a bum cable. The company is sending me a new one.

In the meantime I have just been using a normal braided USB to lightning cable that I have. Works fine, but gets in the way a bit.

All intelligent flight modes are available with both USB ports there is no difference.

I'm using ipad mini 4, but my samsung galaxy Tab S2 8" also fits in the controller without any adapters.

So you can't charge the controller while something else is plugged into the big uSB port?
Yes you can, although DJI doesn't recommend it.
The full size USB port only gets disabled when an OTG cable is connected to the micro port.

Look at the reviews, same issues as the one I bought (or worse). You have a 50/50 chance of getting a bum one. You can hope for a good seller who will replace it.

Also the one I got is braided, which I prefer over plain plastic: Amazon.com : HiBloks Lightning to USB Cable/Type C to USB Cable for Mavic Pro/DJI Phantom/Inspire : Camera & Photo

Reactions: Rbruz and harryb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000