DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic totalled while using Litchi

f49fdaba071cae014f1f48656fce27ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

I though that it may have been some type of interference from the metal buildings but it appears gps and compass were functioning normally.

I started a service request online and last word was I will receive a shipping lable in two business days. Is there anything else I need to do?

Does anyone know why I can't watch my final video? I have it set to auto record. A thumbnail exists with a time of 6:16 but the video will not play on any device. The other videos are fine.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Hi,

Here's the link to the file:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjMALoFHkqmdmEvZw_OaY8nalimd

Shared from Excel for Android
https://office.com/getexcel

Think the issue could have been hitting RTH when you lost signal. On Phantom pilots guys there set litchi flights very far away, I don't condone it but they do. When it goes out of range they let it finish the mission and when it returns to within range they let it finish or then take over. Possibly you interrupted the flight and the thing went haywire?
Sorry to see you had a crash, know the feeling. Log it in as experience and hopefully you'll be in the air soon..

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

This is why people need to learn how to handle these things. If we don't all start being responsible we WILL lose our privilege and this will all just be a dream that could have happened. Don't fly outside the FAA requirements. They made them for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
There is no regulation or rule broken here. The los and 400 foot guidelines are not actually rules or regulations for hobbyist flight.

Does anyone know why I can't watch my final video? I have it set to auto record. A thumbnail exists with a time of 6:16 but the video will not play on any device.
Is the file a sensible file size for the recording length. Say 1 - 2 GB for 2.7k?
Chances are if you stacked it did not finish recording gracefully. But if the file size is reasonable I imagine people with right expertise could open it for you.

I take it you have care refresh. If so that will be mighty comforting. You will be able to get up and running soon.

Out of interest do you run Litchi with collision avoidance on or off?

There is no regulation or rule broken here. The los and 400 foot guidelines are not actually rules or regulations for hobbyist flight.

This is incorrect. The recreational rules (Part 101) require recreational pilots to conform to community based safety standards. FAA on their web site lists some of these guidelines as follows:

Safety Guidelines
Fly at or below 400 feet
Keep your UAS within sight
Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
Never fly over groups of people
Never fly over stadiums or sports events
Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
Never fly under the influence
Be aware of airspace requirements

In the U.S. there is no ability to fly out of line-of-site without a waiver from FAA. And for the record, you cannot legally use VR goggles while flying a drone in the U.S. Because visual line-of-site requires normal vision and can't use devices that restrict peripheral vision.

I'm not saying we like these rules (just as I hate having to stop for red lights) but this is what we have to comply with for now.

Reactions: shuddee
This is incorrect. The recreational rules (Part 101) require recreational pilots to conform to community based safety standards. FAA on their web site lists some of these guidelines as follows:

Safety Guidelines
Fly at or below 400 feet

In the U.S. there is no ability to fly out of line-of-site without a waiver from FAA. And for the record, you cannot legally use VR goggles while flying a drone in the U.S. Because visual line-of-site requires normal vision and can't use devices that restrict peripheral vision.

I'm not saying we like these rules (just as I hate having to stop for red lights) but this is what we have to comply with for now.

More importantly, the legal definition of a model aircraft is one that is kept within visual LOS of the operator.

"For purposes of this part, a model aircraft is an unmanned aircraft that is:

(i) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

(ii) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and

(iii) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes."

If you are a hobbyist and not flying LOS, then you are not flying under Part 101 definitions and your flight is unauthorized in the US. Read my other posts on the subject or simply read Part 101.

Even Part 107 pilots must have at minimum a visual observer with LOS at all times absent an FAA waiver.

Safety Guidelines
Fly at or below 400 feet

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FAA Guidelines are exactly that - "Guidelines" which are not enforceable by any officer of the law unlike "Regulations" or "Rules" which are enforceable. I'm not advocating stupidity or trying to poke holes in the letter of the law but aren't guidelines just suggested best practices?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FAA Guidelines are exactly that - "Guidelines" which are not enforceable by any officer of the law unlike "Regulations" or "Rules" which are enforceable. I'm not advocating stupidity or trying to poke holes in the letter of the law but aren't guidelines just suggested best practices?

You have to read Part 101 to get the whole context: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Part 101 authorizes model aircraft (and other things like balloons, rockets, and kites) to fly. §101.41 and §101.43 cover model aircraft and give you the legal ability to fly - within those rules. §101.41 is the part with the meat, and it says (emphasis mine):

§101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.​

The first part is unambiguous: These are the rules that govern the operation of model aircraft. (b) says that the aircraft must be operated in accordance with the safety guidelines. Therefore, if you don't operate within those guidelines, you aren't operating within the confines of Part 101. Your only other option for a UAS is Part 107, which requires you to be licensed and follow THOSE rules. If you aren't flying under either set of rules, well, you don't have any authorization to fly as no other section of the FAA regulations authorizes it.

You have to read Part 101 to get the whole context: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Part 101 authorizes model aircraft (and other things like balloons, rockets, and kites) to fly. §101.41 and §101.43 cover model aircraft and give you the legal ability to fly - within those rules. §101.41 is the part with the meat, and it says (emphasis mine):

§101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.​

The first part is unambiguous: These are the rules that govern the operation of model aircraft. (b) says that the aircraft must be operated in accordance with the safety guidelines. Therefore, if you don't operate within those guidelines, you aren't operating within the confines of Part 101. Your only other option for a UAS is Part 107, which requires you to be licensed and follow THOSE rules. If you aren't flying under either set of rules, well, you don't have any authorization to fly as no other section of the FAA regulations authorizes it.
Good summary. Much appreciated.

Safety Guidelines
Fly at or below 400 feet

No, this is incorrect. FAA Guidelines or Actual Laws?

And yes the LOS is a rule you have to follow I meant the 400 foot guideline only not the LOS rule.

§101.41 Applicability.

No part B says "community-based set of safety guidelines". Not the FAA's "guidelines". And the AMA is a community based organization that allows flights over 400 feet per their FAQ.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11