DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic totalled while using Litchi

No part B says "community-based set of safety guidelines". Not the FAA's "guidelines". And the AMA is a community based organization that allows flights over 400 feet per their FAQ.

I'm not understanding your post - The FAA has no guidelines, only regulations. And yes, the AMA safety code doesn't cap altitude. Did I say otherwise?

I'm not understanding your post - The FAA has no guidelines, only regulations. And yes, the AMA safety code doesn't cap altitude. Did I say otherwise?
No the FAA has guidelines for hobbyist flight. That's because they can't regulate hobbyist flight per the 2012 law congress passed. And, there is no regulation for hobbyist flight limit of 400'.

The person you were responding to was correct. The guidelines listed by the FAA for hobbyist flight are just that with two exceptions. One is the rules for flying in non class G airspace and the other being the line of sight rule. The 400' is an example of a guideline that is NOT a regulation or law.

No the FAA has guidelines for hobbyist flight. That's because they can't regulate hobbyist flight per the 2012 law congress passed. And, there is no regulation for hobbyist flight limit of 400'.

The person you were responding to was correct. The guidelines listed by the FAA for hobbyist flight are just that with two exceptions. One is the rules for flying in non class G airspace and the other being the line of sight rule. The 400' is an example of a guideline that is NOT a regulation or law.

Incorrect. The 2012 funding bill said that no NEW regulations could be added. Part 101 is existing, codified regulation as I explained above. If you do not follow the (AMA) guidelines, then your flight does not fall under Part 101 per the Part 101 definition of a model aircraft. The only other authorization for a UAS is Part 107. If you aren't flying under either Part, then you are not authorized to fly at all.

Incorrect. The 2012 funding bill said that no NEW regulations could be added. Part 101 is existing, codified regulation as I explained above. If you do not follow the (AMA) guidelines, then your flight does not fall under Part 101 per the Part 101 definition of a model aircraft. The only other authorization for a UAS is Part 107. If you aren't flying under either Part, then you are not authorized to fly at all.
Yes this we agree upon. My only point was that the 400 foot "ceiling" is not an AMA guideline, and therefore there is no 400 foot ceiling to hobbyists (unless you are not in class G airspace).

Update - UAS Registration Frequently Asked Questions | AMA Government Relations Blog

Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?

A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet under appropriate circumstances, and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Checking the box on the federal registration webpage signifies an understanding of the 400 foot guideline. This is an important safety principle that all UAS operators need to be aware of, and is the same guideline established in AC 91-57 published in 1981. However, the placement of this guideline on the FAA website is intended as an educational piece and more specifically intended for those operating outside of AMA’s safey program. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude guideline is not intended to supplant the guidance and safety procedures established in AMA’s safety program.

Yes this we agree upon. My only point was that the 400 foot "ceiling" is not an AMA guideline, and therefore there is no 400 foot ceiling to hobbyists (unless you are not in class G airspace).

Yep. I was taking issue with this statement: "No the FAA has guidelines for hobbyist flight. That's because they can't regulate hobbyist flight per the 2012 law congress passed."

They can and have regulated hobbyist flight. To say or imply otherwise gives rationale to those who believe that they can fly NLOS and in other ways not permitted.

Incidentally, there is no restriction on airspace, except the notification requirement within 5 miles and the general condition that "The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft." The AMA safety code, however, states that one should "Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator."

Yep. I was taking issue with this statement: "No the FAA has guidelines for hobbyist flight. That's because they can't regulate hobbyist flight per the 2012 law congress passed."

They can and have regulated hobbyist flight. To say or imply otherwise gives rationale to those who believe that they can fly NLOS and in other ways not permitted.

Incidentally, there is no restriction on airspace, except the notification requirement within 5 miles and the general condition that "The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft." The AMA safety code, however, states that one should "Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator."
Yep you're right, I should have clarified my statement more clearly.

So over half the posts on this three page thread would make a WONDERFUL discussion IN THEIR OWN THREAD. I understand that everyone wants to prove that they're an expert in interpreting and reading guidelines, rules, laws, recommendations, etc... But PLEASE, for the sake of the rest of us that don't want to spend time filtering through pecker-measuring posts - take a moment to re-read the title of this thread, and the content of the original post. Please stay on topic.... pretty please?

So over half the posts on this three page thread would make a WONDERFUL discussion IN THEIR OWN THREAD. I understand that everyone wants to prove that they're an expert in interpreting and reading guidelines, rules, laws, recommendations, etc... But PLEASE, for the sake of the rest of us that don't want to spend time filtering through pecker-measuring posts - take a moment to re-read the title of this thread, and the content of the original post. Please stay on topic.... pretty please?
The original topic appears to have been abandoned long ago.

The original topic appears to have been abandoned long ago.

Probably because he didn't want to interrupt the drone police discussions. Who knows. Anyone reading this thread doesn't know that, and is forced to read through pages of unrelated discussions to find out that the original topic was abandoned. Abandoned or not, start a new thread relative to the content being discussed rather than hijacking someone else's...

Probably because he didn't want to interrupt the drone police discussions. Who knows. Anyone reading this thread doesn't know that, and is forced to read through pages of unrelated discussions to find out that the original topic was abandoned. Abandoned or not, start a new thread relative to the content being discussed rather than hijacking someone else's...
An aspect of his flight was discussed. And the discussion already ended. You however seem to want to keep digressing so I'll leave you to it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98